Where to go for breakfast in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

I was surprised there wasn't a dedicated breakfast thread. Many of the restaurants mentioned here will have their own thread but I thought it would be handy to have them all listed in one place.

I don't know if this is unique to Victoria but we sure seem to have a lot of popular hip breakfast places.

One that has come up quickly on the radar is the Fort St. Cafe. Formerly Glen's Sandwiches across from the passport office, this underground restaurant has a great untraditional Sunday brunch.

I also tried Lady Marmalade. They had a very decent eggs benedict and some funky menu choices.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

Up at the Oak Bay Junction on Fort Street is Shine Cafe, which has the most remarkable variety of omelette's in town, unique Scottish Scones, and is the only place in town I know of where you can get black pudding as a side.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#3 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

I personally quite enjoy Floyds for breakfast, healthy portions at reasonable prices...A little off the beaten path from downtown but 6 Mile has a great Sunday Morning Buffet Brunch for I believe $13.95...another place I quite enjoy in James Bay is Cafe Mulatta (next to the Mac's)

#4 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

^ I didn't like Floyds until I figured out you could ask to have the omelette filled with what you want. Now I think they are great! But Shine does indeed edge them out in my opinion. Everything is good there, except for the inexplicable well-drink OJ.

#5 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

I really like Shine and it's worth the (usually) long wait to get in. I keep meaning to check out Floyd's though.

#6 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

I'm going to suggest further afield to a place called Detour, located on the east side of the airport, where mostly charters fly out of. Also close to the aviation museum. It's hidden but worth the trek for an extensive eggs benny and omelette menu. Signature French toast with caramelized apples, free coffee refills and surprisingly an extensive selection of Silk Road teas. Open SAturdays.

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

Would be lunch by the time I got to the airport ha
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

I've eaten there - you're right - it is a treasure.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#9 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

While it's off the beaten track for me, I vote for The Village Deli in Estevan Village/ Oak Bay. They serve great breakfast dishes, with a Yiddish inflection. Lovely atmosphere, very nice service, clean.

Hm, now I'm hungry! :)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

Personally I find my kitchen the best place to go for breakfast. If I am short of bread or croissants, I send one of my minions to Arts Bakery to get some (kids=minions)

In this establishment I can have a whole table to myself, dress as I please, listen to the CBC, read the paper and not have to share any of that with the rest of the world.

I take reservations, but there are no openings for a LONG time that I can see. ;-)

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

^Yeah, but can you make eggs benedict with real hollandaise?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

Yes and I have yet to find a Hollandaise in this city that can top mine. That is a challenge by the way. I'm open to suggestions.

Another great breakfast spot - Plutos, it has a mildly Mexican flavour and the building is really nice, in a converted gas station. Good burgers too.

#13 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

Yes and I have yet to find a Hollandaise in this city that can top mine. That is a challenge by the way. I'm open to suggestions.

Another great breakfast spot - Plutos, it has a mildly Mexican flavour and the building is really nice, in a converted gas station. Good burgers too.

Do I see a homemade hollandaise contest in the near future?

John's place for Sunday Brunch - I went there often in the late 80's, and upon our return to Vic a few years ago it was the 1st place we went out to as a family.

Do have to say the menu quality has declined, but the service (and popularity) still makes it special

#14 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

I am a big Breakfast guy, wondering everybody's thoughts on the downtown breakfast places?
which ones you like and why? what makes a great spot? price? location? coffee? etc...
Jay.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

OSJ, I've merged your question with an older breakfast discussion thread :)

And I'll "sticky" this thread because I'm sure lots of people will be up for this discussion.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:34 AM

thanks
this is a old thread, would be good to see where people are going.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

Demitass and Mole are good.

#18 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

Demitass and Mole are good.

what makes them good in your opinion?

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

The food? :D ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,875 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:32 AM

Shout out to friends of mine who own Demitasse on Broad aka Broad St Kitchen, in the old Rising Star location. I gave them some love in the last edition of EAT, along with my other fave breakfast place, the Marble Arch by Tillicum.

Broad St. has a killer 'breakfast sandwich' and the weekend bennies are excellent, with a wide selection, perfect hollandaise, and a nice fresh fruit garnish instead of the usual pound of hashbrowns. Good prices, too. They are also home to the Best Burger Bun in town.

And the Salt Spring Island coffee is excellent.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users