371 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Well, this could be interesting - ads on CBC radio

Spectre of ads on CBC Radio raised as board meets to discuss funding woes
2 days ago
TORONTO — CBC's board of directors met Monday to discuss strategies for the economic downturn as a watchdog group warned against putting ads on CBC Radio - a possibility that the public broadcaster raised last month.
CBC spokesman Marco Dube would not speculate on the nature of the closed-door meeting, expected to continue Tuesday, saying only that a difficult economic climate will force it "to make difficult choices that will affect our people and our programs."
Ian Morrison, spokesman for Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, predicted deep cuts to staff and programming, but also said that the broadcaster has been eyeing the ad revenue potential of CBC Radio.
He pointed to a speech CBC president Hubert Lacroix gave to the Empire Club of Canada in February in which Lacroix said the CBC may have to look at "increasing the advertising we accept on the air."
Morrison says that can only mean one thing.
"They're already selling all they can (on television) and they're saying we're not getting as much money for it so where could they "increase advertising we accept on the air?' " asked Morrison, whose group launched an online campaign late last week to protest ads on CBC Radio.
"They only have one other vehicle - radio."

Locally the CBC Radio station at 90.5 FM has always been in Limbo. Back in the mid to late '80's it took an active media society, created solely to keep a local CBC station, to avoid closure. 90.5 fm may have the highest rating of any radio station in Victoria, but that does not guarantee its sustainability.

CBC, like all media companies, is announcing deep cuts in TV, radio and production - they are wrapping up a 2 day executive meeting. Already are planned pay cuts, early retirement and cuts in TV programming.

My own feeling is the local CBC radio station will hang on for the near future - but that may be wishful thinking.

#2 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:50 AM

I don't get why some senior CBC execs were getting bonuses.
For what?
Improving ad revenues? Showing up in the morning? Going to more meetings than the minimum?

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

In general, CBC radio is relatively cheap to operate, though they pay a lot more people to contribute to their programming than private stations do. As an example, Ron Cheffins does not paid to be on CFAX, but the CBC political panel in Friday mornings gets about $150 each.

The BC CBC radio 1 region is generally inexpensive when compared to elsewhere in Canada.

We have five local CBC stations, Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna, Prince George and Prince Rupert. Though Prince Rupert may be closed, I will leave that to someone else to confirm

Kelowna only provides a local program from 6:05 am to 8:29 am Monday to Friday. PG and Rupert do the same but as a joint program.

CBC Victoria also does All Points West, the 4:05 pm to 5:59 pm program Monday to Friday for all of BC but the 604 region.

Vancouver does further local programming from 12:05 pm to 1:59 pm Monday to Friday, Saturday and Sunday 6:05 am to 8:59am, and Sunday 5:05 pm to 5:59 pm.

I believe the Kelowna station may still produce a province wide program from 5 am to 6 am, but I am not sure.

Total local BC Programming hours is 77.

In Atlantic Canada there are 10 CBC Radio 1 local stations. In the north there are four, in Ontario there are six.

CBC radio one is most popular in BC, about one in five listeners or one in four radio 1 listeners are in BC.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

Well, this could be interesting - ads on CBC radio

Locally the CBC Radio station at 90.5 FM has always been in Limbo. Back in the mid to late '80's it took an active media society, created solely to keep a local CBC station, to avoid closure. 90.5 fm may have the highest rating of any radio station in Victoria, but that does not guarantee its sustainability.

CBC, like all media companies, is announcing deep cuts in TV, radio and production - they are wrapping up a 2 day executive meeting. Already are planned pay cuts, early retirement and cuts in TV programming.

My own feeling is the local CBC radio station will hang on for the near future - but that may be wishful thinking.

There was no CBC Victoria in the 80's. I believe that it just celebrated its 10th b-day last year.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

There was no CBC Victoria in the 80's. I believe that it just celebrated its 10th b-day last year.

Kelowna and PG also opened later, though in their case it was late 1980s. For a long time BC only had Vancouver.

#6 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

Kelowna and PG also opened later, though in their case it was late 1980s. For a long time BC only had Vancouver.

You are absolutely correct - 90.5 FM was opened in 1997. I will have to go through my mother's old Media Soc. files and get the history behind their efforts for CBC Victoria. (she was the president of the society)

#7 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

Dear god, one thing I dearly love about CBC radio is the lack of ads. (I even find the promos for other radio shows before the news, etc., a bit annoying.)

I know historically CBC Radio did have ads, but I would hate to see them come back. It's such a lovely respite--actual radio content, without being bashed by commercials all the time.

I listen to commercial radio only in the car, and even there, it's mostly CBC or NPR, just like at home. (For some reason, maybe nostalgic memories where car & radio just go together, I will check out other stations for music while I drive.)

#8 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:09 PM

Great, close down 90.5..then what am I supposed to listen to? CBC Vancouver? I just love hearing all of the Vancouver traffic reports and latest gang shootings in Surrey:rolleyes:

#9 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

...and Gregor Craigie's stopped telling us who he is every ten minutes. I enjoy the local morning show.

I wouldn't mind having occasional traffic updates on "On the Island", though. It would have been good to have a heads-up that morning that the Alpine truck hit the overpass, and my commute from Langford was an hour and 21 minutes long.

#10 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

One may hope CBC has a plan to get more community reporting for local radio and online - and especially for traffic reports. I have to agree with Savannah on this. Not just about the 'Colwood crawl' - we should have a local 'CRD' morning and afternoon show that highlights on radio the events, situations and traffic downtown, West Saanich Road, Highways and ferries.

CBC Vancouver relies on police reports and phone ins - no reason it could not work here.

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

One may hope CBC has a plan to get more community reporting for local radio and online - and especially for traffic reports. I have to agree with Savannah on this. Not just about the 'Colwood crawl' - we should have a local 'CRD' morning and afternoon show that highlights on radio the events, situations and traffic downtown, West Saanich Road, Highways and ferries.

CBC Vancouver relies on police reports and phone ins - no reason it could not work here.

For the morning the show is not just Victoria and area, in fact most of the listeners are north of the Malahat. The show is already too Victoria centric at the moment.

The afternoon show is for all of the province except for the 604 region, it is also much too Victoria centric. I would like to see them use Kelowna and PG in the afternoon a lot more.

As to funding, I believe that CBC radio should be changed to a not for profit public radio foundation. The federal government would endow the new CBC with enough money to provide a stable core funding for the annual returns of the endowment. As to governance, I would see a combination of people chosen by the public in some manner and the government. Somehow the people selected should be connected to where listeners are, a region that listens should be better represented than one that does not.

I would cut CBC TV free

#12 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

The overall cuts were announced today $171 mill, plus selling $121 mill of assets - but no specific details. Some interesting points that may impact Victoria.

No stations will be closed, but if I heard the quote correctly Every station will have programming cuts. How many radio programs are produced in Victoria?

#13 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

The impacts to the CBC were announced today.

Biggest issue for me is the loss of one hour of BC Almanac. I will miss the Inside Track, but the Point and Outfront are not things I liked much.

As to the TV, I never watch any of it and think that the CBC should divest itself of the whole TV thing.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

I will miss out front the most. Personally I am happy about the cut to BC almanac, I really don't like radio call in shows.

#15 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

Agree with Bernard about BC Almanac. Thanks to its excellent host, the show worked hard to talk about provincial issues. Unfortunately many noon shows in other provinces aren't as strong – last summer I was in Toronto and the Ontario show was little more than antiques and recipes – so they seemed like good places to cut.

#16 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

The impacts to the CBC were announced today.

Biggest issue for me is the loss of one hour of BC Almanac. I will miss the Inside Track, but the Point and Outfront are not things I liked much.

As to the TV, I never watch any of it and think that the CBC should divest itself of the whole TV thing.

So what's going to replace The Point, and the one hour lost for the BC Noon show? They should have cut that idiotic Jonathon Goldstein show on Sundays (oooh that one drives me nuts) - inside track should have been saved.

The Point I was getting used to - sometimes had a nice dynamic. Outfront came out too amateurish most times.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

Outfront is great!

#18 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

Outfront is great!

The difference in opinion over what 'is' a good CBC radio program ilustrates how difficult any cuts will be. There is no 'right' program to cull, no matter what is done many listeners will be upset.

Nice to see the response on what VV members prefer!

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

The sacred cows for me are:

On the Island
DNTO
Ideas
The House
Age of Persuasion
As it Happens

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

Here's the archive of some old CBC programs:

http://archives.cbc....dex.asp?alpha=a
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users