APPROVED
Harbourview One
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 6569 Sooke Road
Municipality: Sooke
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 8
Harbourview One is a proposal for a three-building, eight, three and one-storey mixed-use rental, strata-title... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harbourview One on Citified.ca
Photo

[Sooke] Harbourview | Mariner's Village | Mixed-use rental, strata, retail

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

$200 million development proposed for Sooke
By Pirjo Raits - Sooke News Mirror
Published: March 20, 2009 10:45 AM
Updated: March 20, 2009 12:15 PM

A 340-unit townhouse and condo development is being proposed for Sooke. Mariners Village, which will be located on close to 12 acres in the centre of Sooke is being proposed by Mike Barrie and a group of investors.

The site is located in proximity to the Manuel Quimper Motel and Mariner's Motel and Marina along Sooke Road.

Spokespersons from Merrick Architectural and the Focus Group, along with Barrie, were on hand at a public information meeting held at the Sooke Community Hall on March 19 to answer questions from the public.

The $200 million development, at build out, will have 240 condo units, 100 townhouses as well as 10,000 sq. metres of commercial space, 5,000 sq. metres of office space as well as retail space and an expanded marina.

A public wharf and possible boardwalk are all in the plans.

When asked when they expect to turn over the first shovel full of dirt, Barrie said, "we don't want to be presumptuous, we want public feedback. It's tough to give a time line. The best answer is we would love to get going, we're motivated to start."

Barrie said the development would be a big boost to the city and the economy.

"Sooke is fairly under-served and under-developed. We see an opportunity here, there hasn't been much happening."

The project is in six phases and is expected to take up to 10 years to complete.

"As fast as we can sell we can build," said Barrie.

The prices, he said, will be in the mid-range.

"We will build high-end without the high-end price."

Barrie is also involved as a small investor and shareholder in the Bear Mountain development.

http://www.bclocalne..._for_Sooke.html

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

This project is moving ahead now. Official website here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

It is? I haven't seen 4/5ths of anything starting up down there yet and I drive by it everyday! I'll have to pop down for a closer look with the camera!

#4 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

Again this week District of Sooke staff say this project is still a go to start around April 2010. I've noticed a few weeks back that an achitecture company now has their sign on the property. This is quite the development if it actually takes off.

#5 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

Still a go for April to start road construction, first building will be a 30+/- unit condo.

#6 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:14 PM

Website is actually up and running now. No prices listed yet. Will be impressive once completed. I am definately interested to see what businesses will occupy the commercial spaces.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:53 AM

Where exactly is this?

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:12 AM

That's quite an ambitious masterplan.

From http://marinersvilla...Masterplan.aspx

I'm also stumped about the location. The website only approximates it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:23 AM

No kidding the map shows half the island.

Some of those pics showed mega yachts so this is obviously an evil plan built solely for the elite.

#10 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

looks like it is here.

#11 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:33 AM

looks like it is here.

That's exactly where it is. The total property is around 12 acres.

As far as pricing goes...

I am sure that it wont be "inexpensive", but I don't think this development will be able to aim specifically to the elite. There just isn't the huge demand for that type of property/dwelling in Sooke right now (Erinan or Heron View). If Mariner's Village plans to build this out (which they've stated will be 8-10 years, or as short as 6 if sales are above expectations), then they will need to price appropriately.

On the other hand, this development is going to be the "New Town Core" for Sooke. This is meant to be the catalyst that changes the face of downtown Sooke forever. So having a waterfront/waterview condo or townhouse may turn out to be a pretty darn good investment in 10-15 years from now...if they sell.

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

I can't see this project going ahead any time soon.

#13 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

Is this the same project that Len Barrie`s brother is involved in?

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Is this the same project that Len Barrie`s brother is involved in?

Yes. Mike Barrie, Len's brother, and also former Salmon King!

Here's his stats with Victoria:

30G 5G 18A 23P 42Pim

#15 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

Drove by on Wednesday, excavators now on site. According to the District of Sooke, a development permit has been submitted as well.

#16 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

Site prep still taking place.

*Rumour* is that the first condo building will have prices starting at $249,000 and be completed for around September 2011.

We shall see...

#17 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:58 PM

Site prep still taking place.

*Rumour* is that the first condo building will have prices starting at $249,000 and be completed for around September 2011.

We shall see...

To add to that:

Total build out is approved for 475 units, not the 340 stated in the original article. Also a 170+ slip marina, medical space, and some 500' of boardwalk to eventually meet up with the 1100' boardwalk at Ed Macgregor Park.

#18 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

Development permits for the first 2 phases of buildings has been taken out. 33 unit condo, and 4 - 4 unit townhomes. Apparently sales have been higher than expected and the 3rd phase will be coming on sooner than anticipated.

The old Manual Quimper Motel is being used as a classroom for the International Association of Arson Investigators this week. Come Monday, the motel will be flattened and utilities will be going in.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

I'm sure the arson investigators will do a fine job of flattening the old motel ;)

Thanks for the update, Cam.

Know it all.

#20 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

They have tendered all the work so construction should start soon, however, with Len Barrie's brother behind the project I am not expecting a smooth sailing

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users