CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

The PSR forum is reporting C-FAX's long time stalwart Terry Spence has been fired. His bio is still on the site for now.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

The PSR forum is reporting C-FAX's long time stalwart Terry Spence has been fired. His bio is still on the site for now.

I am stunned that this would happen

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

Sounds unverified has anyone asked the station?

#4 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

He listened to him when he worked for CKNW Vancouver in the 60s.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

He did?

#6 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

Yes.
Terry Spence - News/talk show host including The Investigators CKNW New Westminster 1960s-70s; talk show host/Executive Vice President CFAX/CHBE-FM Victoria; General Manager CFAX/CHBE-FM .
I can't remeber if that was the same time as Jack Webster. I was a big Webster fan.

http://www.bcradiohi...TerrySpence.htm

#7 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

I'm listening to Terry on CFAX right now. No mention of any of this by him or on the station's website.

Rumours of his broadcasting death may be greatly exaggerated. Or an official statement will come later when a replacement is found.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

Yes.
Terry Spence - News/talk show host including The Investigators CKNW New Westminster 1960s-70s; talk show host/Executive Vice President CFAX/CHBE-FM Victoria; General Manager CFAX/CHBE-FM .
I can't remeber if that was the same time as Jack Webster. I was a big Webster fan.

http://www.bcradiohi...TerrySpence.htm

I was teasing you as you started your previous post with 'he'

:P

#9 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

I was teasing you as you started your previous post with 'he'

:P

And a :P to you too. :)

#10 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

Sounds unverified has anyone asked the station?

Puget Sound Radio is correct. Terry's last show will be tomorrow. But I don't know the reason. Could simply be retirement.

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,975 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:55 AM

The TC is reporting that Terry has been fired as the station tries to attract a "younger demographic". The host of the "buzz" will fill in for now.

That is what happens when the brains in Toronto try to run the show remotely. How much of a "younger demographic" do they think is in Victoria!

The TC also announced that Johnny Z. will be leaving in May.

#12 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

Terry Spence signed off today, with the final half-hour devoted to celebrating positive things about the city. Mostly, though, it turned into a phone-in tribute to him, with Ron Cheffins and other regular guests and callers. A lot of tears all round. It was a fitting radio farewell for a class guy.

#13 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

I saw him on A Channel 5 o'clock news. I watched as his bottom lip trembled and his voice cracked up. He had tears in his eyes and so did I.

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

Too bad, because Terry is a good guy. Unfortunately this (media) business is and always has been survivial of the fittest.

I won't go into details, but a similar situation occurred with my dad in the mid-70's after he left Club 6 - CHEK and went to Rogers Cable, as Shaw was then known. We returned from a family holiday to Europe, only for dad to discover he'd been 'voted off the island'. It happens....

#15 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,975 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

When Mel owned CFAX I think that a lot of the focus was on serving the community and advertisers paid for that relationship as much as they did for promotion.

I believe the focus now, right or wrong, is on advertising dollars and the simple fact is that advertisers don't pay a premium dollar for retirees.

I fear that Easingwood is probably next and we start to see more syndicated talk shows or a transition to more "in your face" type talk radio as we see in other markets.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

So they might pick up Howard Stern?

Seriously though, he is 69 years old, and probably made some good cash when the station was initially sold to CHUM, as he did have some type of fractional ownership.

Who knows, maybe he'll buy a huge 3D interactive map of BC and open some type of attraction.

OK, seriously again, the article was a little strange in that it said his show-time had been cut dramatically recently, but from what I could tell, it had only recently been increased to nearly 4 hours, from the one hour it was for many years. I think that happened when he dropped his station-manager duties when he "officially" retired at the end of 2008.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

I'd be happy if Easingwood left, he really seems to be out of it sometimes with regard to current events.

#18 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,975 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

I don't know about Howard Stern but in other markets talk radio runs bubble gum formats like "what do you think of your boss blocking access to facebook at work" or "discussions on Muslim's being allowed to hide their faces when they vote". Topics designed to have people pick sides so that they can call in and then be shot down by the hosts.

At least with Joe I learn something about what is going on locally.

#19 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

I am a big radio fanatic. I loved working in radio in the 1980s, I loved starting a station in Lillooet. I even produced a show on CFAX for a year or two not too long ago and was a host from time to time.

The big problem with radio is that it is quick way to starve to death - the pay sucks.

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

Thursday, April 9 from 12:30 to 1 p.m., I’ll be a panelist on the Ryan Price show on C-FAX 1070 AM talking about random Downtown things.
  • todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users