Neighborhoods: Harris Green

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

Monday, April 6
I wanted to get a shot of the clock face on the ground propped up against the building but these workers were too fast for me.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

Anyone have a copy of the 1997 Harris Green Charrette Plan in PDF that they could share?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:19 PM

I don't think it's on the web. You have to go to City Hall or City archives.

It's mentioned on page 97 of this document which includes a sketch of what was considered the ideal mid-rise staggered building.

http://www.collectio...011/MQ32925.pdf

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:42 PM

Thanks Rob. Yeah I think I will need to email the city

It has a whole new look!

#5 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:20 AM

This neighbourhood really is changing into something unlike others around it. A real hub. 

Can anyone do up a map mentioning the buildings coming up?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

I'm excerpting this paragraph and link because the website is being taken down next week and it's a rare mention of the charette and the name of a member:

Alan F.J. Artibise is Vice President of Academic Affairs and Provost at The University of Texas at Brownsville. He has also served as executive dean, dean of social sciences, and executive director of the Institute for Social Science Research in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Arizona State University. In previous positions, he has been a professor and administrator at several other North American universities, including the University of New Orleans, the University of Missouri-St. Louis, and the Universities of British Columbia, Winnipeg, Victoria and Manitoba.

[...]

In 1997, he was a member of the Harris Green Charette (City of Victoria) that received a Gold Georgie Award from the Canadian Home Builder’s Association in the category Excellence by Local Government in Cooperation with Industry. 

http://www.utb.edu/p.../Pages/bio.aspx

Of course, Gene Miller was the guy leading the charette. It's too bad--it was a major event if Victoria city planning but it's mostly forgotten and barely exists on the web. Congrats to you for reviving it.

Gene Miller wrote about it a few times in 1997 for the Times Colonist. You should go through that.

Franc D'Ambrosio was also a member. It would be great to do some interviews and create an "oral history" type article.

Edited by Rob Randall, 14 October 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

It will be featured in an upcoming article on Sidewalking Victoria if I can get my hands on a copy. 

• Nparker likes this

It has a whole new look!

#8 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

Couldn't find the thread on the shopping centre London Drugs is in.

Leases in the shopping centre are only being renewed for 5 years and have a demolition clause in them

Look for major development on that entire block in about 5 years time.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the confirmation! There’s going to be big moves on that site.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Bit of a shame in that there are many good businesses in that lot, but it's also a block with tremendous development potential.
  • 57WestHills likes this

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

As it is, it's pretty successful already as a mixed use development with great tenants, including a quality grocery and very useful London Drugs. It would not on my top ten list of sites that badly need development. But if it could be improved, I guess it would be OK. 

#12 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:48 PM

Bringing this little write up back: https://victoria.cit...ria-retail-hub/

#13 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

As I spoke with someone who just resigned there lease (that's where the details came from) seems the decade has been accelerated.

Maybe deals have been met to allow the larger tenants to move into new spaces created at a discount?

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:33 PM

Is it a five-year lease with a month-to-month clause following that five-year period?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

No, it's a 5 year lease max. I was told that another tenants lease is up next year and when they sign, they will only get a 4 year lease.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:53 PM

Oh wow, interesting.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#17 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

I don't see that centre as needing replacement, since it's a pretty good mix with London Drugs, the Market on Yates, and various other stores and services. But that's pretty interesting intel about new or renewing leases being for five years or less, which suggests to me that someone has upcoming plans for that corner.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

They’ve got upcoming plans for the entire complex, for sure.

Know it all.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

I don't see that centre as needing replacement, since it's a pretty good mix with London Drugs, the Market on Yates, and various other stores and services...

It doesn't so much need to be replaced as updated. I'd retain the LD building pretty much as is then replace the MoY structure with underground parking; a new grocery/retail space at grade and 10-15 floors of housing above. I am not sure of the best way to transform the ancillary structures on the Yates/Vancouver side of the property. Perhaps they could be left as is.

#20 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

I have heard it said that this particular London Drugs is the highest volume store in the chain.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users