Photo

Food carts & food trucks (mobile food vendors) in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#1 Audrey

Audrey
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

I'm looking to develop a list of potential mobile food vendors for an upcoming Victoria event. Does anyone have suggestions or contacts who would be interested in bringing their product to a large audience for a one day (evening) event?

#2 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

I'm looking to develop a list of potential mobile food vendors for an upcoming Victoria event. Does anyone have suggestions or contacts who would be interested in bringing their product to a large audience for a one day (evening) event?

You might want to approach Red Fish/Blue Fish on the wharf that also has a mobile cart.
At one time Pig bbq joint had a mobile. You might want to ask them if they still have it or know who now owns it.
Good luck and let us know what kind of event you're organizing.

#3 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:10 AM

Just thought of another angle. The community centres that used to be part of the once popular Folk Fest, all - well, most - had mobile carts where they served their country's specialties.
The langos from the Hungarian society comes to mind

#4 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

noodlebox had a trailer at the beginning. someone who worked there told me about a year ago that it was coming back, but i don't think it did... one of the gelato places might be interested in having a gelato cart somewhere also.

#5 Audrey

Audrey
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

Thanks, gang. We're in the early stages of Luminara prep (put on by ICA--who did Folk Fest) and feeling out options. Last year there were only a handful of food vendors for the festival, and there's some hope that we can have a broader variety of food available, including some healthy options.

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:42 AM

Great Audrey - Will Luminara be bigger than Beacon Hill Park this year then?

You might also approach some of the restaurants downtown that serve food to go. Or maybe a couple of them could team up to create a food cart if licencing isn't to difficult. I'd shop at a Habit/Mole/(What's that raw food place next door?) food cart.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#7 Audrey

Audrey
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

You're right that we can't have vendors in the park, but we are going to have sales on the St. Ann's property, as with last year. Just hoping to have more of it this time. :)

I'm starting to recruit Luminara volunteers already, but would like a mod's blessing before I start a thread about recruitment. I'm not sure if it's cool to solicit stuff like that on the forums.

#8 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

You're right that we can't have vendors in the park, but we are going to have sales on the St. Ann's property, as with last year. Just hoping to have more of it this time. :)

I'm starting to recruit Luminara volunteers already, but would like a mod's blessing before I start a thread about recruitment. I'm not sure if it's cool to solicit stuff like that on the forums.

I think that would be fine - suggest you start a new thread for the event in Arts and Culture, and a post for requesting volunteers.

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

I attended Luminara last year and I thought it was very well organized.
My wife, myself and my daughter had a great time!
St. Ann's is actually a great starting off point.

#10 Audrey

Audrey
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

St. Anns (the back-side that connects to Beacon Hill Park) will be where the vendors are, along with the stage, stuff like the kids tent, and some workshop areas for lantern building. But don't hold me to any of that--like I said, initial planning stages going on here.

Glow ropes will probably be sold again at the entrances to the park (since they can't sell IN the park.)

Nothing is nailed down yet, but I personally hope that we can have some healthier options for food available. It would be nice to have some natural foods along side the carnival stuff.

#11 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

I don't see any problem with you making a thread for Luminara either. It isn't like you stand to make money off it. It's for the community. Good for you for getting involved!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#12 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

Ooooo, I wish Naanwich had a mobile food cart! Healthy, homemade and hand-held, they would make a killing!

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

i just thought of something. a cart is a great idea also because they're likely so cheap & easy compared with what it would cost to add seating capacity in the usual way (renovating the main location or finding a new one). in the right location anyway, a cart could have a huge number of potential customers, and for only a small additional cost.

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

It's so silly we can't have proper events in the park. The city laments a lack of festivals and vibrancy then does everything in its power to cripple and block all attempts at fun.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#15 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

Having mentioned Naanwich in an earlier post, I was compelled to go over there to get my lunch.:P I mentioned to the manager there that they should really have a mobile food cart, and he said that they had done something like that an another festival. So there you go: if you approach Naanwich, maybe they would like to help feed Luminara-goers?

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

The city laments a lack of festivals and vibrancy then does everything in its power to cripple and block all attempts at fun.

Welcome to Victoria...leave your fun at home.

#17 Audrey

Audrey
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

Until Luminara. Then you can take your fun out of the closet, put on a pair of fairy wings, and head to the park. Seriously.

Once we've got lantern making workshop dates set, I'll post those. We're also planning to have some "teacher classes" so that those who teach or run community groups can learn all the tricks to lantern making and then pass them on to their clients/students.

It's your festival, people. :)

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:36 AM

Watch out! City Hall is after you!

Title: Popcorn vendor on Douglas Street outside South Park School.

Photographer/Artist: Boucher, Frank Peters
Date: 1947
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#19 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

Holden West;117880]Watch out! City Hall is after you

Popcorn vendor on Douglas Street outside South Park School.

Dear dear. That looks so ooold!
Mind you, those cloth caps look quite attractive.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

Street meat and diversity, together at last

“Cities like Portland are way ahead for us on this, so we’re looking hard at how to catch up and make sure we have great food offerings on our streets,” said Mr. Robertson, whose résumé includes developing his own line of food products, the Happy Planet line of organic juices and smoothies. The Oregon city, he added, “has made it possible for a lot of different types of food to be available on the street, and let the market determine what happens, and I think they’re seeing good success from that.”

Alma Flores, an economic planner for the Portland Bureau of Planning and Development, said it’s about time for a change in Vancouver’s street-food scene. The occasional visitor to Vancouver said it could use a bit of Portland’s food-cart variety, especially in its downtown core.

“Definitely your downtown is a bit on the dry side and could use a little street vitality,” she said.

I cringe thinking what her opinion is regarding Victoria's street vitality.

Portland's food cart urban vitality report:

http://www.scribd.co...-Vitality-Group
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users