Photo

John's Place

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:03 PM

Wow - unless another thread is hiding in some obscure forum, VV doesn't seem to have any discussion on John's Place, Pandora Ave.

When it opened in the 80's my friends would always gather there for Sunday brunch, and I often see line ups on Sunday mornings if we drive by.

We have been a few times over the last 4 years - it's always friendly, the food is decent, and the prices really reasonable. Our son loves it for the sports posters and juke box.

The father's day gift was a night off cooking (yep - kitchen is my domain in this household), and John's Place was accepted by everyone. The first indication of a problem was the table next to us - a family complaining over some dish or other, then another table...

My 'Wizard of Orzo' seafood pasta tasted fine - the shell fish not over cooked, the shrimps perfectly pink and the orzo pasta al dente. However, the small bits of broken mussel shells throughout mean a trip to the dentist tomorrow . My wife's tuna salad was so overwhelmed with dressing it leaked from the bottom of the tortilla shell, and smothered what is usually a nice dish. Our son's hamburger was cold, and the fries too greasy to eat. The South African wine and starter of spring rolls were excellent.

So - not great, and amid all the fuss from other tables, we simply mentioned the various problems only after our server asked, rather than join in the on going complaint process. When I went up to the till area to get the bill and pay - our server refused any payment (not even for the wine), or accept an offered tip for HER service (which was excellent - not her fault the food failed).

#2 endayliner

endayliner
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:12 PM

Sorry to hear about the food. Is John's Other Place still around?
Tyler
CN Hogger and displaced Victorian.

#3 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

Respect for the customer is always a winner.

#4 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

Sorry to hear about the food. Is John's Other Place still around?

I think that one closed a while ago.

#5 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

Respect for the customer is always a winner.

Yep - and respect for the server gets completely free meals (and wine) for 3!

Despite the actual food experience we will return. Whether it is the restaurant's policy or not, the fact that server comped the entire bill, without us really complaining or asking for discounts/special treatment is deserving a mention. She went out of her way to recognize the problems, note them for the kitchen and not offer excuses.

#6 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

Glad to hear you'll give them another try.
That kind of response deserves a 2nd chance.

#7 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

Wish i get service like that when i have a bad restaurant experience.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:29 AM

Comping a whole meal requires management approval in just about every restaurant I'm familiar with. Comping all the alcohol is practically unheard of in all but the most extreme circumstances. Sounds like the whole place was in clusterf*ck mode that night and management decided to write the evening off. Or the server took the initiative to right things herself, in that case there's a serious disconnect between the front lines and management.

I wouldn't necessarily look too much into this. Simply having a couple of cooks call in sick is enough to trigger a FUBAR night like that.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:13 AM

Comping alcohol is actually a violation of BC Liquor Law.

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

^Oh, that's right. A bartender can't even give you "one on the house".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

That's why I offered to pay for the wine!! I thought comping alcohol was illegal - anyway, it was obviously a bad night for the restaurant, and the server did her best to resolve the problems.

#12 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

^Oh, that's right. A bartender can't even give you "one on the house".

Really?

I often get "comped" drinks. Don't think I will mention to them it is illegal.:D:D
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

Yeah most people don't :)

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Comping alcohol is actually a violation of BC Liquor Law.

Actually, that is not true. In the liquor laws handbook, it specifically says you can comp the "occasional" drink. What you wouldn't be allowed to do is print a coupon to be clipped out of the paper for a free drink.

Read all about it here:

http://www.eia.gov.b...quorPrimary.pdf

#15 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:24 PM

Actually, that is not true. In the liquor laws handbook, it specifically says you can comp the "occasional" drink. What you wouldn't be allowed to do is print a coupon to be clipped out of the paper for a free drink.

Read all about it here:

http://www.eia.gov.b...quorPrimary.pdf

VHF - thanks for the clarification. Seems to be some confusion around Victoria on the regulation. After asking 2 barkeeps/servers at different pubs (yes - one of THOSE days) neither had your correct answer.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:04 PM

VHF - thanks for the clarification. Seems to be some confusion around Victoria on the regulation. After asking 2 barkeeps/servers at different pubs (yes - one of THOSE days) neither had your correct answer.

I'm guessing the average server is not up-to-date on the hand-book, it is obviously much more comprehensive than the Serving It Right course. I read the thing cover to cover a few times every year.

#17 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:42 PM

Had our staff Christmas lunch here yesterday; I'll bet the last time I ate at John's Place was at least 25 years ago. It was great. I had the halibut and chips - one piece of fish but it was about 4 ounces, more than sufficient and with a great light batter and tangy in-house tartar sauce. For $15.95 it was an excellent deal. Highly recommended for fish 'n chips fans...

• todd likes this

#18 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:31 PM

Used to eat at John's in the 80's and 90's and I loved the food and service. My most recent visit was 2-3 years ago. There was a group of us. The food was decent enough but the servers were poorly trained and it only caused annoyance. Haven't been back since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users