• Please log in to reply
1605 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

Times Colonist:

[Ernie] Skinner [of Market on Yates/Millstream] is not only looking for a one-storey building for a new store, but is already thinking of a fourth. There are plenty of desirable areas for a new store, such as Sidney, Sooke, Oak Bay and Gordon Head, he said. "We are pretty open."

Oak Bay only has Fairway and Safeway. Gordon Head has the small but well-stocked Mt. Doug Market and the Shelbourne Fairway. I'm not sure how well-served Sidney and Sooke is. I know Sidney has a Safeway but it's probably not within walking distance for those on the north/east side of town.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

Times Colonist:

Oak Bay only has Fairway and Safeway. Gordon Head has the small but well-stocked Mt. Doug Market and the Shelbourne Fairway. I'm not sure how well-served Sidney and Sooke is. I know Sidney has a Safeway but it's probably not within walking distance for those on the north/east side of town.

Gordon Head also has Thrifty Foods Tuscany and Safeway University Heights.

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

and Peppers in Oak Bay.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

and Peppers in Oak Bay.

Did Oak Bay annex that part of Saanich? :confused:

#5 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

Peppers isn't in OB, its in Saanich and Safeway isn't actually in OB either, its across on the other side of Foul Bay Road.

#6 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

Did Oak Bay annex that part of Saanich? :confused:

I wouldn't mind, Caddy Bay Village is sweet.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

Gordon Head also has a Fairways on Mackenzie too.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

Oxford Foods in Fairfield could use some competition but I don't think there's appropriate super-market-sized property to lease in the Humboldt Valley.

Of course the one we're all crossing our fingers for is the Hudson. I'm hoping it would draw shoppers from the North Park area who want an alternative to Wellburns.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:41 AM

Gordon Head also has a Fairways on Mackenzie too.

I forgot about that one. What part of GH is underserved, then?

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

Is GH really underserved? Let's not forget the 5-10 minute drive to Thrifty's at Broadmead Plaza and Country Grocer across the highway.

Sooke, on the other hand, has only one large grocery store. For a pop of 10,000 they're due for something new.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

The Hudson is truly the best option for an urban supermarket in an underserved area.
  • Mixed365 likes this

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

Doesn't sooke have a Safeway too?

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

Does it? Perhaps I've missed it each time I've driven through, but I only know of the one next to the McDonald's.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

Doesn't sooke have a Safeway too?

Port Angeles?

http://maps.google.c...sults&resnum=1#

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

Perhaps I'm dead wrong, but it appears that amongst some of the 'best practices' that Skinner took with him from Thrifty's is astronomical pricing. Is there something to that? I can't think of any reason why I would do a full grocery shop at the Market on Yates, with other, less expensive alternatives relatively nearby.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

I've never done a full grocery shop at at the Market. Their prices are inflated way beyond 2015.

Know it all.

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

Times Colonist:

I know Sidney has a Safeway but it's probably not within walking distance for those on the north/east side of town.

And a Thriftys.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

There's also a grocery store on Beacon Ave across the street from The Pier.

Know it all.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

There's also a grocery store on Beacon Ave across the street from The Pier.

SuperFoods or something like that. Yes, the Sidney Thrifty's is designed in the classic Thrifty's style. A large store with a small, crowded parking lot designed around it. Thrifty's didn't break that model until they built Admirals Walk.

#20 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

I've never done a full grocery shop at at the Market. Their prices are inflated way beyond 2015.

Samesame Thrifty's IMO.
Yes, the fresh fruit/veg, fish and meat are better than most but what's the justification for popping 20% and more on packaged items?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users