- - - - -

My New Best Friends at The Brick!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

We decided to reno our kitchen and wanted new appliances.
Naturally The Brick had a "sale".
So we ordered DW, range and fridge and paid a deposit.
The nice people said just let them know 2 weeks before and they would get it from the warehouse and deliver it.
So we are delayed about 3 weeks on the kitchen, quite normal.
A few weeks ago the phone calls start - what's your delivery date? we only have 1 or 2 in stock etc. etc.
Yesterday a woman calls and gives the 'get tough' routine: if you don't tell us a definite date we'll have to re-order and who knows how long it will take etc etc.
We read the papers and know this outfit is on life support with emergency line of credit etc.
Clearly they want the money and are happy to employ a new customer service startegy: bully people, even though they are committed with a deposit.
OK, my wife goes out to Langford to pay and shut them up.
Oh, we can't take a cheque. Wife says, "You'll have two weeks for it to clear."
Nope followed by weasel words.
OK, wife gets on the phone listening to inane messages and muzak for 15 minutes before getting a human to bump the Interac limit up temporarily over $3000.
Then, "you have to take delivery within a week because there's only one fridge available".
Clearly, the suppliers aren't giving these twerps a whole lot of stock after seeing the oxygen tanks and IV lines being installed at head office.
So now we have to take the stuff and keep it on the front porch or else "we can't guarantee when other units will come in."
Yes, because you are skint and suppliers won't release anything until you idiots pay them.
All this accompanied by a free, gratis! nasty vibe as though my wife is at fault.
Gee, you were sure nice at the time of sale.
We felt so fortunate having just found new best friends.
We will take delivery and happily tell this tale to our friends thinking about new appliances.
Rant over.
Roll on bankruptcy then F.O.A.D!:mad:

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

Sounds like they are in tough...

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

Lots of furniture stores are facing hard times with the decrease in new housing construction. At one point I'm sure they couldn't keep up with demand and opened new locations, increased warehouse space, etc, and tied themselves in to a growing demand for their products and services. So it's no surprise many are starting to hurt.

Ashley Furniture in Langford is going under and has a big sale on right now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

Stokes furniture at Tillicum is pretty good.

#5 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

Stokes furniture at Tillicum is pretty good.

We moved into our condo 3 years ago and bought a bedroom set, mattress and dining set from The Brick several weeks before moving in. The delivery date was arranged but when they failed to arrange a time as promised, we called them the day before to confirm everything only to be told that the dining set would not be available for several weeks. Since my parents were scheduled to be staying soon for a few days and we had already given away our old one, we had no option but to cancel and find another one at the last minute.

We happened to be at Tillicum Mall then so we went to Stokes for the first time and found a better, extendable dining set and an entrance table that we couldn't resist. We really enjoy the quality of their products and the service and have bought several matching pieces and intend to buy more.

The Brick's bedroom set included a dresser that came off the truck literally smashed to kindling, and even the replacement had a scratch and was immediately discounted. The not inexpensive mattress was hopeless and was replaced after less than 3 years. It was only when I mentioned our experience to others that I heard similar stories about delivery and/or product quality issues.

The Brick is known to commonly take a sold and paid for product needed tomorrow and give it to a customer who wants it today. If they had not done it to us, we never would have tried Stokes, and if they indeed do go under, I know many people who will not miss them.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

I find the furniture at the Brick range from pedestrian to tacky, I have never bought anything and can't understand why anyone else would.

#7 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

Just after Mrs. Shore and I moved into our house, she decided that we needed a new dining-room hutch to store our wedding china. Off we went to The Brick, where, naturally, she found something that was 'perfect.' Lots of glass, and some lights to show stuff off etc.. I bridled at the price, though - $3k!! Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the whole thing was made of chipboard with a fancy veneer on, thought to myself, "no bloody way!" and dug my heels in. The Mrs. was not impressed, and a few weeks of frostiness ensued every time the hutch was mentioned - until my parents noticed a solid oak hutch in an antique store in Vancouver. They managed to buy it on spec, and brought it over. It fitted the space we had for it, all of the china safely stacked on the shelves, it was the right price ($800) and, guaranteed, it will last longer than the p.o.s. that the Brick wanted to sell us for almost 4x. :rolleyes:
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

I hear ya. We buy most of our furniture used from either Used Victoria or Charmaine's on Fort Street. The furniture shop at Quadra and Cloverdale is pretty good to and you can haggle there.

#9 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

Don't forget Dodd's. Locally owned and operated and does a lot community wise.
I've heard nothing but horror stories about the Brick.

#10 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

I hear ya. We buy most of our furniture used from either Used Victoria or Charmaine's on Fort Street. The furniture shop at Quadra and Cloverdale is pretty good do and you can haggle there.

LOL, I've NEVER been able to haggle there, and I can actually be fairly persuasive! As for Dodds, they are stars. My family and I get all of our furniture from there and send them clients (and they know it). We never pay anywhere close to retail, there.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

I recommend Coast Wholesale for appliances, esp. if you are buying more than one or two pieces. They can't be beat.

http://www.coastappliances.com/

#12 S_B_Russell

S_B_Russell
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:58 AM

The Brick has to be the worst. Most of their furniture is tacky and not well made, plus their salespeople are dirtbags. My friend's brother worked as a Brick salesperson for about 3 weeks and I couldn't believe the stories he told me about his experiences there.

I agree about Coast. They carry most of the good brands, and if you're outfitting a whole kitchen there are deals to be had.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

Yes, too bad you didn't order from Coast. I'm in the midst of a major reno at my house which includes an addition. In that addition, there's a place for our new washer/ dryer which we ordered. We are no almost a month delayed for the project, yet Coast hasn't harrassed us once for a delivery date.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

Yes, too bad you didn't order from Coast. I'm in the midst of a major reno at my house which includes an addition. In that addition, there's a place for our new washer/ dryer which we ordered. We are no almost a month delayed for the project, yet Coast hasn't harrassed us once for a delivery date.

Last time I checked, Coast will take a cheque for the balance UPON DELIVERY. It's inexcusable that the Brick would not take a cheque, when they were to hold the appliances for at least two weeks while the cheque cleared.

Last time I bought from Coast, I bought a washer/dryer and installed bathroom tub doors. I gave them an extra set of keys to my place and left a cheque for them on the counter on delivery/install day. Came home that night, all was done, invoices left for me, keys returned back under my door after they locked up. Great service.

#15 SeaG

SeaG
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:11 AM

Didn't realize Brick was in financial trouble - this would explain our treatment a couple of weeks ago.

We decided to invest in a small freezer, called the Douglas St store to see if they had one in stock. They said no, but Langford had them.

We took the 12 km trip out there, asked a salesman to put one aside while we looked around. He came back to us and said they didn't have any but could get one in 3 weeks.

I said their website said it would take a week to deliver to our home, he said no way - so we walked out.

Started an online order, then found out the shipping was going to be over half of the freezer price!!

Ended up buying a bigger, better freezer online from FShop and saved half the shipping charge.

In past - appliances we usually buy from Sears or Bay (Kenmore and GE) - and last 9 years all furniture from Dodd's.

Dave

#16 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

Dodd's has great furniture. That's where my bed came from.

#17 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

We scoured the city looking for a small bistro table for our kitchen and by far the best selection, price and service were found at Ashley Furniture. There was a post earlier saying that Ashley's was going under...what evidence do you have that this might happen?

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

We scoured the city looking for a small bistro table for our kitchen and by far the best selection, price and service were found at Ashley Furniture. There was a post earlier saying that Ashley's was going under...what evidence do you have that this might happen?

I thought they were just offering a "liquidation" sale, that's all. I could be wrong.

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

Well they used to have stuff in stock - now all they have is the display items and they order in whatever you want. That sounds like a company without available credit.

Having said that - I also like the store and service, but 6mile, Modern Furniture, Lane Furniture etc will beat any price on the same merchandise.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#20 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:35 PM

Have to say right now there are plenty of local artisans, cabinet makers and carpenters who can, and will make individual furniture pieces often at a similar cost, or lower, than even liquidation price. Problem is finding the right company, or person.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users