• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:51 AM

Something of a surprise quote in the Traveller's Inn bankruptcy story:

"Most of the properties are in the community plan for highrise (six-to-one density) and several of the properties will require four to six months for rezoning in order to sell for highest and best use."

A developer has made an offer on 3020 Douglas St., the Vacation Inn, and for three lots on Burnside Road, for a proposal to build a new mall at Douglas and Finlayson streets, Asfar said.

Mayfair is to the NE, Denny's is NW, VanCity to the SE, leaving the Victoria Motor Products (former Cornell Chevrolet) as the probable location.

In general, I don't like when malls are built across the street from existing malls. It sprawls everything out too far. A mall works well as a relatively tight destination cluster that contrasts with its surroundings. It would be much better as residential/office with ground floor retail.

Mind you, the source of this rumour is Asfar himself so ingest the appropriate amount of salt with this data.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

At least we know VMP is up for redevelopment, so there may be something going on here.

My understanding is that the Vacation Inn is fairly profitable.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

Even without the neighbouring motel it`s a big site. It`s on a fairly steep hill so it will be interesting to see how they put a traditional mall there. Unless by *mall* they mean yet another boring strip-mall.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

Isn't there some way that the city could block any new strip mall development?

#5 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

Isn't there some way that the city could block any new strip mall development?

I'm pretty sure that the city can vote against the proposal.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

According to the zoning map, it`s M1 zone, Limited Light Industrial which seems to allow virtually anything.

I think the City is limited to fine-tuning the details at the Development Permit stage.

#7 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:01 AM

This would be an excellent location for a highrise or group of highrises!

#8 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:30 AM

It would be a great spot for residential highrises with office main floors or a live/work component. I'd come out against a strip mall there though.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

If the Douglas Street strip was fully built out as something of a cross between the Selkirk area and Short Street, I'm thinking it could be really good.

#10 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

If the Douglas Street strip was fully built out as something of a cross between the Selkirk area and Short Street, I'm thinking it could be really good.

I agree, Uptown to Downtown, residential/commercial with height. It would be a really vibrant corridor into the city.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

I think that due to the nature of the street we need something more substantial than Short Street or Selkirk along Douglas. Selkirk isunderwhleming and underdensity with its quiet streets Douglas street would overwhlm buildings like that making them less than ideal. Being next to Douglas would become much more bearable after 6 storeys in height.

#12 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

I think that due to the nature of the street we need something more substantial than Short Street or Selkirk along Douglas. Selkirk isunderwhleming and underdensity with its quiet streets Douglas street would overwhlm buildings like that making them less than ideal. Being next to Douglas would become much more bearable after 6 storeys in height.

or 20!

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

These are all good suggestions.

If more mall space is commercially viable it should be built kitty-corner on the existing Mayfair parking lot like Town & Country did on their property, not on prime commercial/residential land! This lot is sandwiched between two major bus routes--Douglas/BRT and Burnside.

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

The last developments that have been on Douglas has been the Starbucks, with a drive through, and the Volvo dealership. No one has done anything significant on the Douglas corridor between downtown and "Uptown" in decades.

As it stands, a strip mall along Douglas would be an improvement, though not really what I would like to see there.

It is an ideal corridor for office and high rise residential. I would love to see the city allow 15-20 story buildings along the corridor.

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

A strip mall is never an improvement and always a detriment. I agree with your ideal however.

The last significant building north of the downtown was Ross Place.

#16 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

Something of a surprise quote in the Traveller's Inn bankruptcy story:

Mayfair is to the NE, Denny's is NW, VanCity to the SE, leaving the Victoria Motor Products (former Cornell Chevrolet) as the probable location.

Your deduced location makes sense. VMP is owned by Wheaton and its days as a dealership are numbered.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

#18 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

would saanich & victoria sign a treaty saying they're going to haul ass between uptown & downtown?

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

That Bing shot is amazing. Look how much frigging real estate is given to automobile storage.

So am I correct in thinking the hotel is part of this potential lot consolidation? If so, this ain't no little strip mall concept...

#20 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

There's already a strip-mall (Douglas Centre, with Lifestyles, Quizno's, McD's) only a couple lots south on Douglas, and the fact that it survives is amazing. The area does not need a strip mall.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users