Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Hudson | Condos & Commercial | HBC block redevelopment; Phase 1 | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2010

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hi everyone, this is such a cool site. I thought I would post this regarding the Hudson development. I could be the Cities, New Tallest!

Here is a photo from the open house, Townline hosted at the Save on Foods arena, for the Hudson proposal.

Hudson_Bay.jpg[/quote]

I went to the Town Line open house at the Arena that night.

It was an amazing show.

The developers were extremely nervous to show their plans for the towers, I think they were expecting to see a lot of nimbys out.

[...]

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:51 PM

I took these photos of the current state of the Bay Building.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:23 PM

Concept rendering of the east facade of the Bay building.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:45 PM

That eastern facade addition looks so good. Much better than a blank Wall. Mind you Some may say that the blank wall is heritage!!! AGHHH!!!!

Anyways, Once the parkade is gone, and if that carriage way design gets a go ahead too, This block will be fantastic. I am very impressed with this whole project so far!

Thanks for sharing the Facade design. :)

#5 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:48 PM

Here are some photos I took the other day when I saw the crane, holding a camera man in a cage, so he could take photos for this proposal.

Later when I drove by the crane was even higher.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:50 AM

Nice shot of the BC Hydro land too. I didn't realize how large it is.

As for the Hudson carriageway, there is no doubt is will be there, just whether they will allow cars to use it as a thru-way or make it pedestrian only (and cars entering the parkade).

Looking at that view I'm reminded of the idea of using different colours of tinted glass the the Bay's three towers. There's already a lot of dark or mirrored glass around there obviously so any tint should probably be subtle. What do you think?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

I would have opted for a low-flying helicopter rather than an old crane.

Maybe one of these:

http://www.hovercam.com/
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:28 AM

That's interesting. With one of those you'd be able to aim it straight down without getting anything in the shot. Probably a lot more expensive than simply hiring Bud and Darryl and their cheap crane. But hey, when you're spending close to $200,000,000 what's a few extra thousand?

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

In this pic it looks like the top of the crane is at about the same height as the hypothetical 18th floor of Corazon.

So concerns about the impact of tall buildings on the Bay parkade site would seem to be misplaced.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:30 PM

You know, for such an itsy bitsy small town, it's amazing how Victoria's skyline takes on a totally different flavour from each of the varous viewpoints.

"Uptown" from the west:

"Harris Green" and downtown from Mt. Tolmie:

"Humboldt Valley" and south downtown from James Bay:

Downtown and old town from the west:

James Bay from the east:

Inner Harbour, old town, and downtown from the west:

Old town and downtown from the west:

Downtown and approaches from the north:

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:40 PM

Nice! We need to add one from the south, ie: taken from the deck of the Coho ferry.

#12 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

I am really excited to see these towers become reality on this property!!!

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:46 PM

If they allow cars on the Carriage Way I will be vocally against it at any meeting!!!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#14 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:50 PM

but this is where the under ground parking lot is...and they mentioned something about a 3 minute parking out side the store for people pick up.

What about disabled people who need picking up infront of the shop? or the residence who need to enter their underground parkade?

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:57 PM

They can have an entrance for the parking and a 5 minute zone along Fisgard or Herald but the space in-between The Bay building and the three towers should be pedestrian only.

It has a whole new look!

#16 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

At the meeting they stated that planning instructed them to have the parking entrance for the first tower...the 25 to be off the carriageway...they didn't want it coming off the main streets.

#17 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

Here is an old photo of the Bay.

Originally it was to be twice the height.

#18 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:43 PM

#19 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:09 AM

Word is it goes before Committee of the Whole on Oct 5 at 9:00am.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:11 AM

That is excellent. The way that hearing goes sets the tone for the ADP and APC which will follow shortly after.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users