[Sooke] Prestige Hotel | 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

Prestige Hotels has proposed a hotel with 122 rooms/suites, conference and meeting facilities, commercial space, restaurants, fitness club, spa, indoor pool, hot tub, parking space and trail, at 6923-6937 West Coast Road in Sooke.

The hotel will be complemented by a public boat launch, trail and pier on the adjoining property owned by the District of Sooke.

Sooke is also seeking to enter into a partnership agreement with the developer: For the provision of the Sooke Conference Centre Complex and to require Prestige Hotel to construct the access, public trail and boat launch parking area. Section 21 of the Community Charter states that a municipality may enter into a partnering agreement for the provision of a service on behalf of the municipality in relation to municipal assistance to a business.

More info on the rezoning is available here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

For the last month these parcels of land have had forestry equipment on them clearing brush, trees, and other obstacles of construction

#3 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:42 PM

Interesting.

I had only heard of Prestige because of their hotel in Kelowna which is the biggest city the chain has a hotel in. They seem to prefer smaller cities and if they can make a buck in small towns like Golden and Rossland, it might do well in Sooke as well.
In chains by Keynes

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:48 AM

I stayed at a Prestige last February when I stopped at Radium Hotsprings. The hotel wasn't spectacular or anything, but it was nice enough. And you're right, Phil, Prestige seems to operate in small towns.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

Prestige Hotels was given final reading last night at council. I'd expect to see this project officially move forward starting immediately.

#6 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

This project is u/c excavators are on site and formwork material is starting to show up.

#7 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

I was driving down Wharf St and noticed that Prestige had a sales centre down where the Oak Bay Beach, Bayview, etc all had sales centres. Granted I was driving and couldn't stop, but I was pretty sure I saw their sales sign.

I'm not really sure how well this hotel will do given the overall economy. The Sooke Harbour House hasn't been doing well for most of this decade and I know that many of the major hotel chains have experienced major drops in business

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

I thought that the Oak Bay Hotel is also a Prestige property so perhaps it was the same place.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

Nope, they're not part of the same chain. The Sooke location will be the first Prestige on the Island.

Know it all.

#10 dave

dave
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

This is the worst example of 'architecture' I've seen in a long time.

Google it for a photo.

How is this design informed by context (topography, geography, views, sun angles, wind patterns, vernacular architecture, etc.)? It isn't.

From the perfectly symmetrical plan to the palm tree landscaping, everything is arbitrary. Context, though, is not arbitrary and can effect architecture in very real and meaningful ways. Look at the work of architect Renzo Piano for example.

And what's with the 16th century Italian styling? Sooke is not Florence, and this is not a Medici palace. Why are the windows so small, and why are they arched? The walls aren't stone, are they? And why are the facades stucco, and what are those raised bands supposed to be? Why is the..........

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

This is the worst example of 'architecture' I've seen in a long time.

Google it for a photo.

How is this design informed by context (topography, geography, views, sun angles, wind patterns, vernacular architecture, etc.)? It isn't.

From the perfectly symmetrical plan to the palm tree landscaping, everything is arbitrary. Context, though, is not arbitrary and can effect architecture in very real and meaningful ways. Look at the work of architect Renzo Piano for example.

And what's with the 16th century Italian styling? Sooke is not Florence, and this is not a Medici palace. Why are the windows so small, and why are they arched? The walls aren't stone, are they? And why are the facades stucco, and what are those raised bands supposed to be? Why is the..........

WELCOME to the forum Dave!

I quite like it:

#12 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

Haha Welcome Dave! And I agree with your list of whys...
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

Needs more surface parking.

#14 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

Needs more palm trees. I expect they will do well in the balmy climes of Sooke.

#15 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

God, that's hideous...

I can't imagine how much land "re-shaping" (i.e., blasting to kingdom come) this would require. Please tell me this project isn't for real...!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#16 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

I don't believe there was much of any blasting done on this site, it is fairly soft ground, sloping to the water on what was more or less under-utilized property on the west side of Sooke Town Centre.

#17 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

I don't believe there was much of any blasting done on this site, it is fairly soft ground, sloping to the water on what was more or less under-utilized property on the west side of Sooke Town Centre.

Under-utilized would probably be an understatement. The property had a few severely deteriorated homes, an RV, and a garage. The value was entirely in the land. I agree that at completion this Hotel/Resort may not fit aesthetically with its neighbour (http://www.sookeharbourmarina.ca) which is quite West Coast in design.

A photo of construction as of a few weeks back...

http://642blog.ca/20...-update-photos/

#18 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Looks like they will start building up very soon. Foundation/underground parking look close to complete.

Ric's Grill will be the main restaurant and caterer for the Hotel/Resort. No surprise as both Ric's Grill and Prestige are Okanagan based chains.

#19 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

Ric's

#20 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

Walked by today and was able to take a photo. Unfortunately I wasn't able (too much traffic) to get to the other side of the street and get a clear shot from a little further back.

Anyways, I am not able to post pictures, but they are well underway on the 2nd of 5 stories.

Apparently a February-March 2011 completion date. The public boat launch will be built concurrently, along with a boardwalk extension that will meet up with the trail infront of Sooke Harbour Resort and Herons View Townhouses.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users