BUILT
1032 North Park Street
Uses: rental, condo
Address: 1032 North Park Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
1032 North Park is three-storey purpose-built rental complex situated along the 1000-block of North Park Stree... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1032 North Park Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] 1032 North Park Street | Rentals | 3-storeys | Built - completed in 2017

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

I didn't see a thread for this project- apologies if it's posted elsewhere.

I stumbled into a meeting of the North Park Neighbourhood Association the other night. The architect and developer of an infill project presented plans to the community:

34 units: 6 owned townhomes (3 on North Park and 3 around the side of the building), and 28 rental suites (24 studio with a 4 one bedrooms.)
The townhouse units fronting North Park are live/work with storefront-capable design.

The building massing is split up with the strata ownership units physically separated from the rental suites. There are some interesting design features like outdoor elevated walkways to access rental suites and a rooftop garden. The developer is Dosanjh Millard and the architect is Eric Barker.

To alleviate parking concerns the developer is offering 3 year transit passes to every rental unit tenant, two scooters for use by all residents, and 2 year paid membership in the car share co-op for rental units.
IIRC the proposal has been submitted to the city.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

Street View.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

yeah I think this has one forward to the city. The initial plan was for some supportive housing but I think that went over like a lead balloon. I would have preferred a more certain commercial aspect to the project and I have yet to see any renderings....

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

Any info on the amount of floors?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

I thin it is 3 and 4 storeys but not positive.

#6 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

^yep. I saw plans and renderings at the meeting.

The townhouses will be clad in metal siding and the 4 storey rental portion in stucco.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

Thanks!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

I have my usual concern having not seen pictures of how the project relates to North Park. I mean is there a huge setback or are they maintaining the current street frontage?

#9 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

I mean is there a huge setback or are they maintaining the current street frontage?

What street frontage? I think its a stretch to say that North Park is a commercially viable street for the owners of the proponents to think it is a good idea to include storefronts.

#10 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

I have my usual concern having not seen pictures of how the project relates to North Park. I mean is there a huge setback or are they maintaining the current street frontage?

From what I remember the street level interaction is good. There is no significant setback and the 3 townhouses looked like they had storefront-style windows. It will definitely add to the commercial viability of that strip.

I was pretty impressed with what I saw. The architectural look is nothing to write home about, but it's not bad by any stretch. And it ticks all the boxes of a 'good' infill project. Plus adding to the rental stock is always a good thing in my mind.

#11 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

The 3 townhouses on the front section are 3 story live/work units. That is the only commercial part. Seems in line with some sort of drafting office next door, and a law office down the street.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

The North side of North Park has a very unique zoning and it has not until now been usedfor a new development. From what I have heard here this sounds pretty promising.

Pretty much the entire 1000 block of North park save 2 houses is currently commercial office or retail so to say it doesn't work obviously is not reality.

#13 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

Pretty much the entire 1000 block of North park save 2 houses is currently commercial office or retail so to say it doesn't work obviously is not reality.

??? I'll still say it is over 75% residential, and there is only really one storefront on the sidewalk. I still am not sold that this one needs to have a super-urban streetscape.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

No I don't hinkit should super urban but it should not be ahuge set back with bushes in front either. Work live townhomes like the 860 would be great.

But 75% residential it is not

StreetView 1

StreetView 2

First House and planned to be removed in this project

Second house and also planned to be removed

This place has a ground floor office business. Place next door is a house

Auto parts

House near and law office far building

Office building

Ground floor has best alterations place in Victoria

So 4 out of 13 buildings are purely residential and 2 of those are going to make way for this new partially commercial building.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

Artificial turf "lawn".

#16 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

So 4 out of 13 buildings are purely residential and 2 of those are going to make way for this new partially commercial building.

OK, fair enough - for the north side of the street. There are some stealth commercial properties in there. The south side of the street is all residential.

Anyway, the point is that this isn't a street with a lot of foot traffic, nor is it likely to generate much in the foreseeable future, so I don't think there is much impetus for making this ground floor commercial/retail. I think the dilipidated state of the commercial that is there bolsters that argument.

#17 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:34 AM

http://www.timescolo...5477/story.html

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

What's up with this project?

Know it all.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Is this project canceled, by chance?

Know it all.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

The new plan for 10146 is for two building, containing a total of 6 rental suites.

NPNA supports it.

Development proposal —1046 North Park St. — Lindsay Baker, Dennis Rogers

• Design plans were distributed (see attachment).

• Initial plan for this currently empty lot was for a triplex. The initial plan had been 

approved by the City. Financially this plan was not feasible.

• New design is for a total of six market rental units (estimated as ≈ $850/month) in 

two three-story buildings. There is one unit/floor in each of the two buildings. This 

plan works better for the property and the design is greener.

• Green components include solar panels on roof; passive solar from windows; 

community garden for tenants at back of property; internal courtyard between the 

two buildings as well as individual patio/deck area for each unit; bicycle storage; 

charging stations for mobility scooters and one car, using solar power; building 

height, and location of courtyard and community garden designed to allow 

optimal light to adjacent house at 1048 North Park St.

• The current plan added mobility scooter parking and more bicycle storage.

• The developer is asking the City for a variance for two buildings instead of one, 

and a relaxation of the parking variance to one, instead of two, vehicle spots.

• Attempts to contact the owner of the neighbouring commercial building to the west 

were unsuccessful.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users