• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

http://www.thestar.c...per-phone-rates

Although they do not yet have towers in Victoria, they do have an agreement with Rogers to piggy-back on their equipment, so the deals will be here very soon.

Canada's cell phone market is ranked one of the most expensive for users in the developed world: out of the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development's 30 member states, Canada ranked 28th in terms of affordability.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

Wind Mobile cell service here by fall

New wireless carrier gradually rolling out across the country

By Andrew A. Duffy, Times Colonist; with files from Canwest News Service
January 8, 2010

http://www.timescolo...9477/story.html

Victoria cellphone users are unlikely to have access to the country's new wireless carrier until late this year.

[...]

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

Throne speech:

http://www.theglobea...article1488376/

“Our government will open Canada's doors further to venture capital and to foreign investment in key sectors, including the satellite and telecommunications industries,” as well as to the uranium industry.

#4 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

I just looked at their plans. Pretty amazing, no?

$45.00/m for unlimited calls + txt in canada. Including Voicemail, and Caller ID.
Add $35/m for unlimited data including tethering.

On Telus, my current plan is $107/m and only gives me 550 daytime minutes, and 2GB with free evenings and weekends starting at 6. Plus I have a mobile internet stick at $50/m.

Not just that but their phones are cheap. A blackberry Bold 9700 with no contract is only $450. Its $650 with everyone else.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

I just looked at their plans. Pretty amazing, no?

$45.00/m for unlimited calls + txt in canada. Including Voicemail, and Caller ID.
Add $35/m for unlimited data including tethering.

On Telus, my current plan is $107/m and only gives me 550 daytime minutes, and 2GB with free evenings and weekends starting at 6. Plus I have a mobile internet stick at $50/m.

Not just that but their phones are cheap. A blackberry Bold 9700 with no contract is only $450. Its $650 with everyone else.

If you live in Calgary or Toronto, the competition has already adjusted their prices downward to compete. Until it gets to other places, we don't get deals.

#6 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

My wife is tied to telus for a while yet and they stil charge the $6.95 "system access fee"
Kinda like renting an apartment for $600/month and having to pay another $100/month for the key.
These klowns should develop a lingering disease.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

Is WIND like Fido where it only works in big cities?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

If you live in Calgary or Toronto, the competition has already adjusted their prices downward to compete. Until it gets to other places, we don't get deals.

Ha they sure haven't done anything with mine. One thing to note about wind is they are not locating in areas one would think. I figured they would be in core and chinook centre but I have only found two one on 10th street near kensington rd and one in westbrook mall :confused: I wonder if they are going to operate like that in victoria

#9 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

My wife is tied to telus for a while yet and they stil charge the $6.95 "system access fee"
Kinda like renting an apartment for $600/month and having to pay another $100/month for the key.
These klowns should develop a lingering disease.

Try the Clear Choice plan from Telus, it has no system access fee.

Wow, I can't believe some of Wind's rates. 15 cent long distance and 25 cent/min roaming in the US. I just paid $1.45/min last month in the US!

#10 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

Try the Clear Choice plan from Telus, it has no system access fee.

Wow, I can't believe some of Wind's rates. 15 cent long distance and 25 cent/min roaming in the US. I just paid $1.45/min last month in the US!

Winds rates are pretty amazing, including these roaming fees. The roaming rates on other carriers are so out of control that I ended up getting a US phone. It's just a cheap virgin mobile phone, but it costs me only about $120 a year, which is what a weekend of roaming use to cost me. The amazing thing, that shows how shocking our rates are: It cost less per minute to call a Canadian number from America on a contract less pay as you go phone ($0.30), as it is to make a local call on my telus phone if I'm over my minutes ($0.35)

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

If you spend much time in the US the only solution is to buy a US pay as you go phone.

I have one from Tracfone, the phone cost $10, then you buy a double your minutes card which doubles your purchased minutes for the life of the phone.

By buying minutes at sale prices etc. my costs are about 7-8 cents a minute to anywhere in North America.

You also get a local Victoria number for people there, to call you without incurring long distance charges on their end.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

This morning I spotted a Wind Mobile car driving down Douglas Street. Now while there are no immediate plans for Wind to expand to the Victoria market, the company is constantly in expansion mode and word on the street is there is some form of cell tower testing taking place.

Wind's current offer is $29/month for unlimited data, text and voice. My plan with Fido is over twice that price and offers a heck of a lot less than "unlimited," let me tell you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

ooooo would be nice!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#14 cluseau

cluseau
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

Wind is already here. As can be seen here
http://www.coveragem...com/windmap.php
They have 26 towers up and a friend from Vancouver (and Wind subscriber) got "Wind Home" when here a few weeks ago, so the towers are working. I've read elsewhere they want 50 towers before they light up Victoria; we've been sitting at 26 towers since March. So either they have the built but have not registered them with Industry Canada (which is where the data on the coverage mapper comes from) or not enough people are willing to put the towers on their rooves.

Fingers crossed they open up soon! I've been waiting without a contract for a loooong time!

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

I guess the lid's been blown off of this one, hey? I can't wait to jump ship from Rogers/Fido and pay a reasonable rate for wireless service. What I've been locked into for the last three years would turn heads even in under developed nations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Butbutbut us Apple fangurls and boyz are not able to use Wind's network, right? Boo! Seriously would yank my Fido plan in a second with my unlocked iPhone if I could.

#17 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Uhg and I just renewed my fido contract.... $25 for like 100 voice min (that I don't use) and that's it. The whole thing is just to have an android that I use for texting and wifi, no data plan at all.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#18 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

I cut out my data plan as well-- nearly impossible to get data and sufficient voice for under $100/mo, even with well negotiated pricing. As soon as Wind hits the Victoria market I'm buying out my Fido contract and switching. Can't happen soon enough...

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

Butbutbut us Apple fangurls and boyz are not able to use Wind's network, right? Boo! Seriously would yank my Fido plan in a second with my unlocked iPhone if I could.

That is correct, the iPhone is not compatible with Wind's network. But who knows, Apple might introduce a model in the coming years that is.

Know it all.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Oh man I am SO outta touch. When I clicked on this thread I was certain I was going to learn about a new form of transport where vehicles would raise giant sails to catch the breeze and zoom along our roadways in a 100% green manner. Man was I ever disappointed. :redface:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users