Photo

[Saanich] Herons Landing & The Ardea rentals | 5 & 6 storeys | Built - completed in 2014

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:22 AM

This is a plan to rezone on four properties on the south east corner of Tillicum and Burnside. Warner James Architects are listed as the proponents of the rezoning.

At the moment there is a small commercial building on the corner and then three very run down rentals along Burnside.

The proposal is for two new buildings on the site five stories tall. The two buildings are to have a total of 120 residential units.

It looks like the reason they are going with two buildings is because there is a right of way between the two buildings, I assume some sort of utility corridor.

The information online about the rezoning is very, very limited.

I like this proposal, it is an improvement for the neighbourhood

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

I wish the corner was rounded to take advantage of the existing curve of the street.

Wasn't there an old proposal on this site for seniors care or something?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

You mean SW, right? SE has social housing, about 10-15 years old.

BTW, is there anything in the hopper for the big grassy, elevated lot at Tillicum and TCH? That has had proposals over time, nothing ever worked out. I wonder if one of the reasons is uncertainty about how they might control certains turns at that intersection. When I was a kid I worked at that 25-hour Chevron for some time, if they did not let people come in from Tillicum (both directions), they would have lost 30% of their business. An impulse buy like gas might be different than an office building with doctors and lawyers etc. though.

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

You mean SW, right? SE has social housing, about 10-15 years old.

BTW, is there anything in the hopper for the big grassy, elevated lot at Tillicum and TCH? That has had proposals over time, nothing ever worked out. I wonder if one of the reasons is uncertainty about how they might control certains turns at that intersection. When I was a kid I worked at that 25-hour Chevron for some time, if they did not let people come in from Tillicum (both directions), they would have lost 30% of their business.

I fixed my mistake.... yes, south east...

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

I fixed my mistake.... yes, south east...

Well, you tried to fix it, but alas, you repeated the same mistake twice. Remind me not to hire you for important consultations. :confused: :rolleyes: :)

Bernard: "Yes, Mr. Premier, this guy's plan for a closed-pen fish farm in NE BC is perfect!"
Campbell: "Wouldn't the tank freeze over in winter?"
Bernard: "Did I say NE? I meant NW"
Campbell: "Ditto"
Bernard: "I meant SW"

#6 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

It is south east, I typed south west at first and then noticed my error and changed it to south east. The social housing in on the north east corner.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

It is south east, I typed south west at first and then noticed my error and changed it to south east. The social housing in on the north east corner.

OK, now I get the confusion. I'm considering Burnside the N-S street at that intersection, you are considering Tillicum N-S.

Could be either I suppose. I've always considered that you are driving N on Douglas, and if you turn off onto Burnside you are still going N. Tillicum cuts across E-W in my mind.

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

OK, now I get the confusion. I'm considering Burnside the N-S street at that intersection, you are considering Tillicum N-S.

Could be either I suppose. I've always considered that you are driving N on Douglas, and if you turn off onto Burnside you are still going N. Tillicum cuts across E-W in my mind.

Tillicum runs much more N-S, though Burnside is on an angle.

#9 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

This project is located across the street (Tillicum) from the Tillicum Mall.

Once this project is complete - the only remaining corner to be developed (upgraded) is a large chunk running from the corner (Tillicum & Burnside) up to the highway (starting at the little strip mall where the RBC is & running up behind to the highway).

What do you think of that eh?

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:32 PM

The "last remaining corner" - aka the north west one, does have some development. The upper end of that stretch has a fairly dense condo development in place already.

The Tillicum Mall corner is the one that needs developing, there is nothing there for more than a city block.

#11 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

The "last remaining corner" - aka the north west one, does have some development. The upper end of that stretch has a fairly dense condo development in place already.

The Tillicum Mall corner is the one that needs developing, there is nothing there for more than a city block.

(upgraded) - the development you are speaking of is showing its age as are the two adjacent 'strip' centres. I estimate approx. 10 acres of land all told sitting there.

I agree with you on the Tillicum Corner.

#12 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

(upgraded) - the development you are speaking of is showing its age as are the two adjacent 'strip' centres. I estimate approx. 10 acres of land all told sitting there.

I agree with you on the Tillicum Corner.

I would agree that the triangle between Burnside, Hwy #1 and Tillicum could use upgrading, but the top end is a condo strata and therefore unlikely to be available for anyone to redevelop.

I have been hoping for more density and development in my neighbourhood. I would love to see a lot more retail and three to six story residential along Burnside between Tillicum and Harriet.

#13 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

..........but the top end is a condo strata and therefore unlikely to be available for anyone to redevelop.

don't be to sure. :D

did you hear the story about a Blue Bridge?

#14 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:24 AM

Tillicum runs much more N-S, though Burnside is on an angle.

Can't we all just get along and agree it's the south corner? :D

And it's funny, I couldn't think of what was at this corner until I checked streetview. Even though I've been at this intersection many times, twice in the last week in fact. Just such a boring and non-engaging building, glad to see it's being redeveloped.

#15 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

I have been hoping for more density and development in my neighbourhood. I would love to see a lot more retail and three to six story residential along Burnside between Tillicum and Harriet.

i like the sound of that. sort of like w.4th in vancouver

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

This project is now comprised of two six-storey buildings. More info here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Is this it?

picture from http://www.eyproperties.com/news.html

#18 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Those must be the buildings for the south corner of Burnside and Tillicum.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

104 units of rental housing coming to Tillicum at Burnside
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
104 units of rental housing coming to Tillicum at Burnside | VibrantVictoria.ca

Construction is about to begin on 104 rental apartments at the Tillicum Road and Burnside Road West intersection in Saanich.

Demolition crews have already begun clearing buildings at 3185 Tillicum and 275 Burnside to make way for the two six-storey woodframe apartments that include a 2,400 sq. ft. groundfloor commercial component in one building and two levels of above-ground parking in the other.

Dubbed by the developer as Herons Landing (corner of Tillicum and Burnside) and The Ardea (inset along Burnside), E Y Properties of Victoria expects simultaneous construction, headed by Farmer Construction, to begin in September with completion by early 2014. [Read more]

Here are two photos taken Aug 29th of the site.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

2400 sqft commercial to be used as a construction company office and ground floor parking garage? On this corner? Wow developer and Saanich both get a fail.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users