Photo

The Copper Owl | Victoria | 1900 Douglas St.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:08 AM

It is located above Paul's Motor Inn at 1900 Douglas St. It will be a lounge for Gay and Bi-sexual men. We will be serving pub food, made available from the downstairs restaurant 'Paul's'. We have 4 Big Screen Tv's ( 42 inches) plus a 16 foot screen that descends from the ceiling for movie nights, sports, and special events like the upcoming Oscar Night planned! We have an area at the front of the club that can and will be converted into a dance floor on the weekends, complete with a DJ booth. Other times it can be used for special productions such as Drag Shows.

We have free wireless internet for those that may need it. We will have male dancers! We have free parking! If people need accommodation while visiting our city....we have special pricing arranged with Paul's Motor Inn! We are just a block down the hill from the new arena, when people are in town to take in a concert or sporting event!

We will be hosting fundraisers for various gay organizations, as I am known for that! Any events your organization would like to have at my venue, I would be most welcome to host! I have over 3000 tapes on queer history that my friend Keith Brooks is converting to DVD....and we will be showing on our giant 16 foot screen! It is important that the youth of today, know where we came from to get where we are!

We will be open Sunday's through Thursday's 12 noon till midnight. Friday's and Saturday nights till 2am.

Gary Penny

FACEBOOK

It will be a lounge for Gay and Bi-sexual men

Wait a minute... that sounds a little discriminatory... :confused:

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:21 AM

Looks like the owner used to own Prism.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

Gay bar war.

#4 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:08 PM

The Churchill Hotel on Government had one of the first (if not 'the' first) gay bar in Victoria. Entrance off Langley.

#5 hoi polloi

hoi polloi
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

oh well. some business discriminate based on moolah, and some services cater to the 50+, or to those with really bad taste. <shrug> i am sure the lesbian population would groove on their own space, as well. let's face it, hetero/ breeders have lots to choose from, and they are hard to get away from, being a vocal majority and all...especially with liquor in them.

having an above ground lounge for the aging boomers jes figures. i like the idea they want to screen old fliks. and drag nights? not enough of that in Victoria. bring it on.
good luck with the copper club, penny:cool:

...that 'wars' article is such a buzz kill.

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:49 PM

I have this weird old half memory of it being called the Copper Club sometime in the past too. Does anyone's brain work better than mine for these details? Did I make it up?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:52 PM

I have this weird old half memory of it being called the Copper Club sometime in the past too. Does anyone's brain work better than mine for these details? Did I make it up?

It was Copper something, but it might have been the Copper Top Lounge maybe?

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

It was Copper something, but it might have been the Copper Top Lounge maybe?

We used to refer to it as "Paul's Copper Top" but that may not have been it's official name.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

When there was two Paul's, how did we refer to each? I'm almost sure there was an additonal name we added onto the one at Finlayson. A two-word name. Holden?

EDIT: Crown House.

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

The Herbert Seibner mural now at Buckerfields used to hang at Paul's Crown House.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

When there was two Paul's, how did we refer to each? I'm almost sure there was an additonal name we added onto the one at Finlayson. A two-word name. Holden?

EDIT: Crown House.

Actually there were 4 Paul's restaurants at one time....all on Douglas Street. In addition to the "Crown House" and the "Drive In" there was the "Majorette" and the "Sussex"

I had my first "fries and gravy" at the drive in. The car hop would bring them out on a tray that would fit from the drivers door to the passenger door.

10 cents....load them up with vinegar and salt.....oh boy....I guess that's where the high blood pressure came from.

#12 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:07 AM

Gay bar war.

How is this a war?

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:40 AM

How is this a war?

One guy sells his club to new onwers under the proviso they keep it gay. He says they did not keep that promise, so comes back to town and opens a competing bar. Former employee of original bar opens yet another new one. Victoria goes from one gay bar to three in one day (Feb 10, 2010). That sounds like a battle that someone is going to win, or at least maybe more than one will lose. All three will not last. That sounds like a war.

#14 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

One guy sells his club to new onwers under the proviso they keep it gay. He says they did not keep that promise, so comes back to town and opens a competing bar. Former employee of original bar opens yet another new one. Victoria goes from one gay bar to three in one day (Feb 10, 2010). That sounds like a battle that someone is going to win, or at least maybe more than one will lose. All three will not last. That sounds like a war.

Ok fair enough. But does this new one cater to men? Maybe I'm wrong but the current ones are mixed or tend to be more geared to women?
I'll have to ask my friend. They're often down at the others.

#15 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

That sounds like a battle that someone is going to win, or at least maybe more than one will lose. All three will not last. That sounds like a war.

With the negative feelings that many people hold towards Prism/Paparazzi and the general feelings of love towards Terry in the GLBT community, I would say that the Ledge is going to come out #1 in the end.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

With the negative feelings that many people hold towards Prism/Paparazzi

Because it is/was considered mainstream and not always gay? I'm not gay, and I've been there quite a few times in the last year for a beer or two, I quite like the staff. Maybe that's the problem?

#17 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

Hey, I say this is good news, competition is good, it keeps these places fresh and less likely to take their clientel for granted,

#18 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:06 AM

Because it is/was considered mainstream and not always gay? I'm not gay, and I've been there quite a few times in the last year for a beer or two, I quite like the staff. Maybe that's the problem?

No, the negative feelings stemming from Terry getting the boot/banned from Prism for supporting another gay venue (at the time, it was The Paisley Upstairs). You would think that Atilla would welcome another safe environment for the GLBT community, but all he cares about is money and anyone with ties to his competition is automatically an enemy.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

George Dowse and Gary Penny, operators of the new Copper Club, have their eyes set for a location for what might become the fourth gay bar in town. They haven't revealed the exact location of the place, but say it's a "stones throw" from downtown.

Friendly competition marks the launch of two downtown gay bars
By VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=1990

Victoria’s gay bar scene tripled in size this week with the opening of two new clubs, the Copper Club at Douglas and Chatham streets, and The Ledge at the Bedford Regency Hotel on Government Street. And that, according to a VibrantVictoria.ca forum member, might be construed as the start of a “gay bar war.”

While the sudden tripling of gay-friendly establishments in downtown Victoria is a surprise to some, it’s long overdue according to George Dowse, co-owner of the Copper Club which re-opened the empty lounge space atop the copper clad Paul’s Restaurant, but he doesn’t feel it’s a battle of any sort. [...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Easyone

Easyone
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hush is a gay bar too.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users