Mixed Martial Arts in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:50 AM

So, we are about to get another big event here in Victoria.

You may or may not be aware, but MMA (esp. UFC Pay-Per-View) is a HUGE sport in North America. It is so much bigger than traditional boxing, it's silly. To give you an idea, the biggest UFC fight in terms of PPV buys was last summer, and scored about 1.2M buys (at about $39 each for home viewers, and bars pay give-or-take $500 for an event). The biggest boxing event last year got 240,000 buys.

UFC is huge in Canada in particular, the last two events in Montreal (spring 2008 and 2009) have each been the biggest ones ever, with over 22,000 at each event. Montreal has the biggest arena in all of NA, BTW (arena, vs. stadium). With fights, you get all the hockey seats filled, plus a whole bunch more on the floor, so it is a real money-maker, moreso than a hockey game or concert, in part because you get so many crammed in.

Vancouver recently ruled to allow MMA on a two-year trial basis, and right away the UFC has booked a fight for June 12th at GM Place. Tickets will run from $85 to $10,000, so it will be by far the biggest gate ever at GM Place.

Our local event:

Victoria’s Armageddon Fighting Championships Returns with it's Second MMA Cage Fighting Event. After the smashing success of AFC 1: The Big Bang in August 2009, British Columbia's premier Mixed Martial Arts organization (AFC) is set to make their return to the Bear Mountain Arena on March 6 with AFC 2: Aftershock, where UFC veteran Kalib Starnes (9-4-1) will make his return to the cage, as he faces "The Loudmouth Assassin" Marcus Hicks (19-10).

In the co-main event, Nick Hinchliffe (14-5-0) and Dan MacIver (6-0-0) renew acquaintances. Having met in 2008, MacIver looks to remain unbeaten, while the former King of the Cage champion Hinchliffe looks to exact some revenge.

AFC 2: Aftershock also features the MMA debut of Winnipeg Blue Bomber and Victoria native Justin Shaw, the return of UFC 4 veteran Jason Fairn, and much more.

TICKET PRICES
$25 and $35 - General
$40,$50,$60,$80,$100,$125 - Floor Seats
$150 - Cage Side

AVAILABLE ONLINE
https://tickets.jdfr...1/login&event=0

PHONE FOR TICKETS- 250-478-8384

TICKET LOCATIONS - Juan de Fuca Rec Centre, Sports Traders Downtown, Platinum Lounge in Mayfair, Island MMA / Peterecs and Zuma.

For more info check out AFC's official website
http://.www.armageddonfc.com

I'll be hoping to get a bit of an interview with the promoter, Jason Heit, he has a colourful history, including stints as as body-guard for some celebs, including Robbie Williams, who, while not big here, is HUGE internationally. AND, the maker of I still think one of the best ahead-of-its-time videos (year 2000), watch (skip ahead to about 2:45 to watch the best part if you want):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-A9VVhtU-n4

-A9VVhtU-n4

#2 Hailey

Hailey

whippersnapper

• 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

Sounds like a great idea!

There are even world class fighters that train here in Victoria. I forget the gals name, but she is up at the top of ladies MMA right now. Sarah something?

Anyways, I work at the arena, and I don't think it's anything we won't be able to deal with. I guess that's where it would happen?

I've been to some MMA events out in Langford at the Western Speedway, but they were less MMA, and more boxing match then a jujitsu match. Having the real deal over here would be super fun!

#3 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

VicHockeyFan,

Don't know where you get your numbers but the biggest boxing PPV last year was Mayweather-Marquez which did well over 1 million PPVs. Mayweather-DeLaHoya did 2.3 million PPVs in 2007 generating more than $120 million.

You might be interested to know that Manny Pacquiao took home US$23 milion for 5 min. 59 secs. work against Hatton. He got close to $20 million more for fighting Cotto. Barfighters rolling around on the floor aren't in that league yet.

#4 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

Not to knock MMA, but Boxing PPVs are also considerably more money. I have never seen a UFC for more than $49, but the boxing events are sometimes as high as $79.

And while MMA is moving into hockey areans, Boxing is moving into football stadiums. the next Pacquiao will be in front of 50-100k people at the new Cowboys stadium. In the UK matches have recently taken place in the big stadium in Cardiff and the City of Manchester Stadium. I know the new Wembley stadium is really pushing for a big fight.

If and when Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao happens it will be the biggest PPV event in years.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

VicHockeyFan,

Don't know where you get your numbers but the biggest boxing PPV last year was Mayweather-Marquez which did well over 1 million PPVs. Mayweather-DeLaHoya did 2.3 million PPVs in 2007 generating more than $120 million.

How about that Robbie Williams though? :D

Yods, I honestly cannot find now where I got that boxing stat from (I knew the UFC one from UFC 100) but it appears I am sadly mistaken. Good thing my name is not VicFightingFan or I'd look as bad as those climate scientists.

My apologies...

#6 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

How about that Robbie Williams though? :D

Yods, I honestly cannot find now where I got that boxing stat from (I knew the UFC one from UFC 100) but it appears I am sadly mistaken. Good thing my name is not VicFightingFan or I'd look as bad as those climate scientists.

My apologies...

No worries, come on over to boxing. Its much better!:D

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:34 AM

Victoria fight gets TV deal.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

Victoria promoter gears up for MMA fight at Bear Mountain Arena

By Paul Seal • Published on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

When you first meet Jason Heit, you’re not likely to mistake him for a paper-pushing, desk-job businessman. He cuts an imposing figure – with wide shoulders and ample height, combined with the shaved head that’s popular amongst contemporary fighters – that says he’s not just a fight-promoter, by a fighter himself.

http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=2076

[...]

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

AFC 2: UFC vet Kalib Starnes supremely confident for main event win on Victoria MMA card

By Chris Parry, Vancouver Sun
March 4, 2010

The general rule in mixed martial arts (other than "You don't talk about Fight Club") is you don't line up your next fight until current fight is over.

[...]

http://www.vancouver...2569/story.html

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:04 AM

11 fights last night. Great set of fights.

Only one of them went the distance, there was a whole bunch of KO's, TKO's and submissions. :)

Results: http://topmmanews.co...-quick-results/

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

http://www.vancouver...1951/story.html

Got my tickets this morning, just in time I guess. Costing me $725/seat for floor 14th row back.

Pre-sale tickets for UFC 115 in Vancouver sell out in 30 minutes, scalping begins

Rich Franklin vs Chuck Liddell fight card attracts fight fans from Alberta, Ontario, Washington, California and beyond

By Chris Parry, Vancouver Sun
April 13, 2010 11:56 AM

Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White has announced via Twitter that pre-sale tickets for UFC 115 at Vancouver's GM Place have sold out in just 30 minutes.

I'd have to take a look at the breakdown for Men's GOLD finals to be sure, but this is easily the biggest-grossing event in GM Place history, and will likely be the most people ever inside the venue. You take the hockey seating capacity and add all those floor seats too. The great thing for the City of Vancouver is that this event draws fans from all over, so hotels and stuff do well, better than say, a Canucks game.

#12 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

All those manly men cheering on two other men in tight shorts rolling around in the missionary position - the mind boggles:D
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#13 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

All those manly men cheering on two other men in tight shorts rolling around in the missionary position - the mind boggles:D

Sometimes in doggy, too:o

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

Victoria cage fighting company to be featured on CBC’s Dragons Den
Armageddon Fighting Championship owners bring their vision – fighters and ring girls – before television’s business investment elite.

By E. Spencer Kyte

Victoria -- Darren Owen and Jason Heit started their Victoria-based mixed martial arts organization Armageddon Fighting Championship (AFC) with the aim of becoming the biggest promotion in Western Canada. Next month, the duo will take their vision before the business experts on CBC’s hit show Dragons’ Den, with hopes of moving one step closer to achieving their goal.

[...]

http://topmmanews.co...bc-dragons-den/

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

Darren Owen and Jason Heit are not resting. It looks like today they have secured TV deals to put their July 17th fight (at Bear Mountain Arena) into as many as 7.6M homes.

Breakdown:

1.6 Million homes The Fight Network
3.3 Million for CHEK TV
1.8 Million for Bell satelite
.9 Million for Star Choice satelite

Plus a full CBC crew will be filming for a news feature.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:33 AM

Chek can reach 3.3 million viewers?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

Chek can be seen in some parts of Washington depending on your TV setup. And I assume eastern Canadians can see it on satellite.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

To be honest I don't particularly see the attraction of UFC, but to each their own of course. I played hockey and rugby for many years and enjoy tough hard hitting sports, in fact I revell in them, but don't really see much point in a 'cage match'.

Interestingly I was in Vancouver this weekend attending a party in Kits and a girl friend of mine is Shaw's Events Coordinator. Shaw was one of the primary sponsors of the UFC on Saturday.

In her words she set up the site, waited long enough for the Shaw family to show up then left after the first fight in which I gather the loser basically had his head split open. In her words the "first geyser of blood" had her moving to the exit. I can plainly understand the obvious attraction for testosterone-fuelled 16 year old boys, but insofar as otherwise intelligent adults, I have to admit it mystifies me somewhat. Her assessment was that the crowd was an 80/20 male-female split, with "about 90% of the females" representing some form of "biker chicks" -> OK maybe I just answered my own question as to the attraction, heh heh.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

Stan Peterec is holding Summer Slugfest IV at Velox Club on August 21st. That's a change of venue from the previous shows at Western Speedway. MMA coming to Saanich!

Event @ Facebook.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

CHEK inks deal to boost mixed martial-arts coverage

By Pedro Arrais, Times Colonist July 11, 2010

A Victoria company promoting Mixed Martial Arts is a step closer to its goal of being a premier sports organization after signing an agreement with CHEK- TV to broadcast events to more than eight million Canadian homes.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0tNpFQJsZ
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users