VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:59 AM

I thought we could afford a dedicated thread for general Victoria hotel news:

'09 no fun for hoteliers

By Darron Kloster, Times Colonist
February 13, 2010

That collective sigh of relief you just heard was from Greater Victoria hoteliers, who are all too happy to leave 2009 in their rear-view mirrors.

The year-end numbers are out and they're not pretty, according to Chemistry Consulting's year-end tourism bulletin. Average occupancy for the region's 4,351 hotel rooms came in at 62 per cent, off three points from 2008, while the average daily room rate fell $6.27 to $125.46 and revenue per available room -- the big-picture stat for operators -- was off $7.66 to $77.68.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0fQqe7yc1

[...]

I see if you grab even part of a TC story now, it scoops along that little trailer along the bottom there, that makes it easy to post.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

It is a Comfort Inn now.

This is in reference to the former Ramada Hotel/Holiday Inn on Blanshard near Mayfair. I wouldn't have been able to come up with the correct name if you offered me a million bucks.

I find it odd that this big hotel and the old motel at Gorge and Tillicum both share the Comfort Inn name.

After all, isn't Comfort Inn one of about eight different names under the Choice Hotels brand?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

My husband and I brought our 15 year old son down to Victoria to see a concert last week. Immediately upon arriving at the front door of the hotel a "working girl" came walking out ... I was beginning to doubt my choice of hotels and was pondering going elsewhere but as we had friends who were enroute to Victoria to stay at the same hotel, we decided to stay and make the most of it. Our room was not any better. It looked as though it had been decorated with furnishings left over from a garage sale - at best. The room was dark and dingy and not very clean - I didn't even want to take my boots off in the room. Wallpaper peeling off the bathroom walls and zero lighting in the room. Oh and did I mention there was a police chase with undercover police running through the hotel & parking lot going after someone? We will never stay there again...

https://www.tripadvi...ve.html#REVIEWS

Dear mastersbaby,

Thank you for writing a review. We are not aware of any "working girls" coming in to our hotel and it is not something that happens as our front desk staff are 24 hours and don't allow people to wander through the hotel. We are unsure if you were accusing the teenage daughter of one of the bar staff as being a "working girl" but we assure you she is just your average under-dressed teenager. We apologize if our furnishings in our rooms were not what you expected for a 2 star hotel; they will be getting updated this off-season as well as all furnishings in each room. Although, the room may have seemed dark there are 5 lights for you to choose from to light the space. The current style is no longer overhead lighting but the room with the lights on is quite lit up and opening the black out curtains obviously helps with the general light in the room as well. Even, though the room was dark we don't agree that it was dirty. We apologize for the wallpaper coming away from the wall that is not acceptable and we are currently doing renovations to remedy those particular issues. We apologize for the police presence at our building but they have a job to do and if someone pulls into our parking lot we have no right to ask the police to leave or stop doing what they need to do. I believe we gave you a full refund and we talked with you for 20 minutes about the rarity of these types of situations in Victoria let alone on our property. We felt that you were satisfied and comfortable with the refund and conversation and were surprised to see this review. 

Thank you,
Kylie Miller

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

Any reason why you didn't mention the hotel is the **-** on *****?

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

I posted the link.  I thought it was funny, especially the "working girl" parts, but could have been any hotel really.

I can't find the news article, but there was a major drug take-down that night outside the hotel with 6 undercover units.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

Take your child to work day backfires.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#7 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:57 PM

I live near this establishment... I can tell you I believe it was a working girl.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Oh, man.. I have a good friend that just got a part-time job at one of the very lowest-rated hotels in Victoria (TripAdvisor).  You just have to hear the stories this friend tells me.  It makes Fawlty Towers look like a serious drama or documentary.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 August 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

...I have a good friend that just got a part-time job at one of the very lowest-rated hotels in Victoria (TripAdvisor).  You just have to hear the stories this friend tells me.  

But the name of that hotel must remain a mystery?

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

But the name of that hotel must remain a mystery?

To protect this person's job, yes.  If you need to know you can PM me.  See, I'm even being coy about their gender.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 August 2017 - 11:20 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

The owners suite at the Capital City Center (1961 Douglas at Caledonia) looks like quite the thing.  All steel framework is up now.  It's kind of hard to see here, but all that shadowing is caused by the steel framework.

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-10-11-11-45-31-582.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 October 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

Egads!  Where are the photo police when you need them.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

It looks like he’s going for the Human Head architectural style.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

Egads!  Where are the photo police when you need them.

He's trying his very best and he's not going to improve if you mean guys keep at it like that.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

Here’s what it was. It’s actually a photo of two people. People I know well.

And I cropped them out of it when I realized I had a bit of a shot of the topic of my post. I thought it still added value.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 October 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

Those shadows, though. Oh my...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:02 PM

Hey... I reported this was happening MONTHS ago!

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

Did you provide a quality image though?
  • Mike K. likes this

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

Hospitality industry consultant Frank Bourree, principal of Chemistry Consulting, said the property plays a big role on the Inner Harbour as the city has been bleeding hotel rooms for a decade. Bourree said 17 hotels, representing a loss of 1,100 rooms, have closed since 2007.

“That’s more than 10 per cent of the inventory,” he said, noting the losses are being felt right when tourism is on the upswing.

http://www.timescolo...past-1.23067577

#20 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

Did you provide a quality image though?

Construction had not started yet! 🤓

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users