Photo

Ferris' Oyster Bar/Lounge

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Amy Grace

Amy Grace
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:50 PM

I've been going to Ferris' ever since the first time I came to Victoria without my mum, which makes it about 8 years I guess. They opened the upstairs lounge about 6 months ago, so any time it's too busy on the main floor (which it often is over the dinner rush) I head up there. It's definitely a little more formal than the downstairs, too, but not in an intimidating way. The service isn't excellent every single time, but it's only been on the bad side once out of the 100+ meals I've eaten there.

I go there because they have delicious oysters, burgers, and yam fries, and a big selection of food for my veggie friends. I mean to order the bottomless soup for lunch ($5 between 11 and 2, I think) but I forget and order something else every time.

Main Pros: Burgers are $8-10 and big enough to have leftovers every time. They have an extensive vegetarian selection, and carry really good micro-brew beers. I've seen people inside wearing everything from suits and nice dresses to jeans and t-shirts (I'm most often on the casual side of the scale).

Main Cons: It's too dark inside, and I've had to wait for a table more than a few times. The booths in the back are really uncomfortable. On weeknights, the desserts are often limited in selection past 8 or so.

#2 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

Their veggie dog is the best in town... and the patio is one of Victoria's coolest spots to be in the summertime....

#3 Amy Grace

Amy Grace
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

Oops, here's a link I forgot in the OP.

[url=http://www.ferrisoysterbar.com/:a1ba5]Ferris' Oyster Bar and Lounge, 536 Yates Street[/url:a1ba5]

Do they actually make their own veggie dogs there? I've never ordered one, but they certainly have delicious veggie burgers.

PS: Not a friendly place for people allergic to peanuts.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:06 PM

I am a huge fan of the Ferris' Cioppino. There prices cannot be beat. I have not been there since they did the last reno a couple of months back.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:10 PM

I can't believe this thread has only just been started. Ferris' is great!

#6 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

I signed up for Vibrant Victoria due to hearing about the site in the canada.com (TC) article today. The first thing I noticed was the Dining section (yum!). The second was the lack of any mention of Ferris'. It is definitely my "comfort food" spot in town. The "Veggie burger, sweet potato fries, side of special sauce" is still one of my favourite meals in town, except when the falafel wins out. Despite the occasional time I had to go elsewhere due to Ferris' popularity, it's always been satisfying.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

yeah we must have been having some sort of mental block:) Great to have you here!

It has a whole new look!

#8 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for having me. My first impression is that it's a great bunch of people interested in what's going on around them... a refreshing change!

#9 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:50 PM

I've been a few times, although I'm not a commited fan yet. Perhaps it's a bit too dark and narrow for me, you have to be in the right frame of mind for that.

#10 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

I've been a few times, although I'm not a commited fan yet. Perhaps it's a bit too dark and narrow for me, you have to be in the right frame of mind for that.

I suppose I just have a dark and narrow frame of mind :-D

#11 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:31 PM

I've only been once, several years ago for a going away party, I had fun, but I don't remember the food. :(

#12 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

Haha, good one Walter! I know they have a pretty good choice of alcoholic beverages Ren! ;)

Actually I usually like dark restaurants, such as The Mint, but last time I was there it was so dark, I could hardly see what I was eating, and I had to hold the candle over my dinner just to see what it looked like.

#13 victriviaqueen

victriviaqueen
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

Ferris' has many special memories for me -- it's where I went on the first date with my husband.

As for the food -- cajun prawns on sweet potato fries is my favourite and earns them a "personal favourite" nod in my restaurant reviews.

http://victoria.inne...com/vicrest.asp
http://frugalvictoria.com "Living for less in the City of Gardens"

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:26 PM

^It's risky going on a first date in a dimly lit restaurant. You can't always be sure of what you're getting...

That review guide is a great resource, congrats. I have to admit it's been a few years since I've dined at the Zeller's restaurant.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#15 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

ha, so you're Cheryl of the restaurant review and Victoria tourist guide fame! Cool! I stumbled across your site many years ago, a much better resource than 99.9% of other sites with regards to helping visitors or even residents! Welcome aboard the Spirit of Vibrant Victoria! Don't forget to try our baron of beef!

#16 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

^It's risky going on a first date in a dimly lit restaurant. You can't always be sure of what you're getting...

That review guide is a great resource, congrats. I have to admit it's been a few years since I've dined at the Zeller's restaurant.

Haha, thats funny, I eat at the Zellers Restaurant quite often. Its a good cheap greasy spoon, and you always know what youre getting.

As for Ferris', Im meeting some friends there this wednesday night. What should I order?

#17 victriviaqueen

victriviaqueen
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome! :-D

We have a kid, so places like Zellers are, alas, more the norm than I'd like.
http://frugalvictoria.com "Living for less in the City of Gardens"

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:14 PM

The oysters. And I'm not trying to be a smart-ass when I say that. They serve the best.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:39 AM

Cioppino!

It has a whole new look!

#20 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

Boulevard Jan. - Feb. 2007

Has a good review of Ferris Oyster Bar.. The Ferris' place up the stairs...

DAVE CRAGGS cooks up big delicious flavours...

Wed and Thursday are generally good nights to go on a whim...

Hummmm... today's Thursday...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users