Photo

Clive's Classic Lounge | Victoria | Chateau Victoria Hotel (Burdett St.)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

This just in

TIKI PARTY
APRIL 1 ~ 6pm – 8pm

Tiki culture has always been associated with long summer nights, gaudy mugs and even gaudier garnishes. Tiki is the epitome of what summer should be if you were in the tropics.

Clive’s Classic Lounge is proud to announce the launch of its new Spring/Summer cocktail list with a launch party with a difference. TIKI TIKI is taking over the lounge in a big way with a full page of the new list dedicated to Tiki drinks such as the Zombie, Mai Tai and Pisco Punch. Clive’s will be the place to come after the sun goes down and you want to continue the summer rush.

The launch party is April 1 starting at 6pm, come dressed in your favourite Hawaiian outfit and enjoy samples of some classic Tiki cocktails and finger food with Shawn and the gang.

This is your opportunity to kick off the summer right!

Located Lobby Level ~ Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites
www.clivesclassiclounge.com 250.361.5684

#2 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

Now I've got Disney's In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room song in my head.

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

NY Times on mixology at Clive's:

http://tmagazine.blo...tini/?src=twrhp

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

^ I know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow :)

#5 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

/\/\wow, that's nucking futs!!

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

^Yes, I don't know how something that sounds so nauseating could be written to make it seem mouthwateringly tempting.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,310 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:55 AM

Known for its inventive cocktails made from a vast array of fresh ingredients and top-notch spirits, there’s a ton of preparation the team has to do ahead of service. Almost every ingredient is sourced locally, and Clive’s offers unique garnishments like Earl Grey ice cubes.

This week, I, along with Westshore reporter Zoë Ducklow, tried Clive’s Who Runs the World—a refreshing La Gritona Reposado tequila cocktail with blood orange oleo, lime yuzu soda, and rimmed with a light dust of tajin. The cocktail was created by Cara Macleod, a Clive’s bartender who was inspired by the all-woman team that runs the La Gritona distillery.

For every Who Runs the World sold, Clive’s in collaboration with Chateau Victoria, Reserva Brands, and La Gritona will contribute $7.50 to the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre.

Remarking on how clear the ice is, Soole says even that is unique. “Today I spent a couple hours cutting up ice cubes, inch by inch.” Soole says Clive’s imports 300-pound directionally frozen ice slabs from Vancouver, and the crew often spends 3-4 hours per day carving it for service.

https://tastingvicto...- Feb 16, 2022

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2023 - 10:56 AM.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:14 AM

I can't recall ever checking to see if my cocktail ice was hand carved. I am pretty sure I'd never pay a premium for this particular embellishment.

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,310 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:16 AM

I can't recall ever checking to see if my cocktail ice was hand carved. I am pretty sure I'd never pay a premium for this particular embellishment.

It's the same guy that used to unashamedly have different tap water varieties for sale at little Jumbo.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2023 - 11:18 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:20 AM

Clive's is a cool place to visit, but it's outrageously overpriced.

• Dr. Barillas and Barrrister like this

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:22 AM

...For every Who Runs the World sold, Clive’s in collaboration with Chateau Victoria, Reserva Brands, and La Gritona will contribute $7.50 to the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre...

Considering that alcohol consumption is probably at the heart of 50% of all sexual assaults, does this not seem a rather odd way to support this cause?

#12 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:45 AM

This place, and this fellow, consistently rank at the top globally for what they do. Fair to say they know more about what the business entails and needs than you or I. Hand cut ice cubes? Bizarre, but that’s the level they are working at.

“At Whisky Magazine’s Icons of Whisky ceremony in London, England last week, Clive’s Classic Lounge won the 2023 Whisky Hotel Bar of the Year award; and, manager Shawn Soole was named Bar Manager of the Year.”
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,310 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:49 AM

This place, and this fellow, consistently rank at the top globally for what they do. Fair to say they know more about what the business entails and needs than you or I. Hand cut ice cubes? Bizarre, but that’s the level they are working at.

“At Whisky Magazine’s Icons of Whisky ceremony in London, England last week, Clive’s Classic Lounge won the 2023 Whisky Hotel Bar of the Year award; and, manager Shawn Soole was named Bar Manager of the Year.”

Little Jumbo - removed by the other owners.

Solomons - closed.

Doubles Lounge - started some type of whisky club, dispute with the hotel had him removed.

Cafe Mexico - contract cancelled.

The place on Blanshard at Broughton - went under.

I don't know, he has an arrogance but he's not been successful at business.  He might be good at entering himself in awards.  Clive's itself is #22 in Victoria on Tripadvisor.

I DO like this part of the article though:

“Training and education are the biggest intangibles that restaurants don’t tap into. People always say, ‘what if they leave?’” he tells Tasting Victoria. “But, what if they stay? Don’t you want the best?” 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2023 - 11:57 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#14 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 03:24 PM

I am not sure how much you know about these events, but there is always more to the story.

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,310 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 03:28 PM

I am not sure how much you know about these events, but there is always more to the story.

True.  I agree.

Sometimes you make a place so successful, then they figure your job is done and they move to oust you.  That's never great.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2023 - 03:29 PM.

#16 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 04:11 PM

It's also possible you are indeed an industry pro.  You seem so well versed in so many industries, it's hard to keep up.

• Daveyboy likes this

#17 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:58 PM

The place on Blanshard at Broughton - went under.

So Clarke & Co. is gone?

Haven't been by that way in a while. One less stop on the next pub crawl, I guess...

#18 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:45 PM

I think it’s just &Co now, or vice versa.

#19 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, it’s still open but they’ve peeled the “Clarke” off all the signage. I’d been wondering what the story was there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users