VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:36 AM

Historic city corner for sale

70,000-square-foot property is in the very centre of downtown

By Carla Wilson, Times Colonist
March 23, 2010 1:08 AM

A boutique hotel with shops and a pub located in a historic property at one of the most high-profile corners in the heart of Victoria's downtown is for sale for $8 million.

The 42-unit Bedford Regency Hotel property includes an adjacent building housing the Garrick's Head Pub and retail tenants Breeze and Caffe Artigiano. The buildings, each more than century old, total 70,000 square feet on seven lots, on the southwest corner of Government Street and Bastion Square, states the advertisement from real estate agent DTZ Barnicke Victoria Ltd.

This property is in the "very centre of downtown Victoria's tourist and commercial district adjacent to the Bay Centre and next to the entrance of Bastion Square," the listing said.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0j0DQDjjR

It has three liquor licences assigned to it but only one is in use.

What happened to the new gay bar, The Ledge?

#2 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

All us VV members should pool our money eh?
We all get along here, surely we could work together and turn a tidy profit there.
What could go wrong? :P

#3 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

I hope the new owner will give this place a facelift. It has definitely gone downhill. The lobby is incredibly tacky: bad fluorescent lighting, cheap wall clocks, an office door with amateurish ventilation. Wasn't this place called the Bastion Inn at one point, and didn't it have a beer parlour with a bad reputation in the basement?

#4 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:05 AM

I hope the new owner will give this place a facelift. It has definitely gone downhill. The lobby is incredibly tacky: bad fluorescent lighting, cheap wall clocks, an office door with amateurish ventilation. Wasn't this place called the Bastion Inn at one point, and didn't it have a beer parlour with a bad reputation in the basement?

Basement beer parlor? ew.

Seriously, I agree with you here Jill. This will take major money to reinvent.

#5 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

Used to be the old Churchill Hotel. Eventually, the beer parlour became one of the first gay pubs/bars in Victoria.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:18 AM

The men's gents in the basement is supposed to be haunted.

#7 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

Danilo Danzo took the seediest hotel property in the downtown (The Douggie) and turned it into a gem. Mind you, this was entirely a labour of love - I don't know how it's doing, business-wise.

The BRH has the obvious advantage of being right in the the thick of things. It really does look like a cheap hostel, right now - it's only saving grace is Caffe Artigiano (well, and maybe The Ledge).

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

The men's gents in the basement is supposed to be haunted.

Oops. Wrote that too quickly.

#9 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Why news? Hasn't it been for sale for months? I used to go to jazz shows in the lower bar, which had a Spanish name...?..., when the hotel was the Alhambra. Anyone?

#10 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

A buddy once spotted The Hon. Joy MacPhail stumbling out the door about 5am looking somewhat disheveled.:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users