Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Price's Lock & Safe | 2-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

Now, I know what you're thinking--Price's Alarm on Fort, between Quadra and Blanshard--why is this thread in the Core forum and not the Downtown one?

Because this building is in Fairfield.

I had to look it up on my neighbourhood map and it's true. The border runs down Meares towards town, turns left on to Quadra for a few metres and continues down Fort until it hits halfway down the block, somewhere around the Armed Forces recruiting building.

This is ridiculous. The Fairfield/Downtown border should turn left on Quadra, not right and should continue west down Broughton or even Courteney, not Fort, which would bring the Y into Downtown.

Anyway, the proposal is quite modest. The ugly beige one-storey office immediately to the left of the Price's Lock and Safe retail outlet shown above will be renovated and a second storey, set back several metres, will be added. The first floor will be retail and the second storey will be the Price's relocated offices.

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

Is fairfield ready for a set-back 1 story addition? I'd like to see renderings to make sure this 2nd floor is set back enough and that precious viewcones are maintained.

What a waste of land, at least a 4 story office/condo please.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:41 PM

I think Price's was there long before there was a "Fairfield."

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:33 AM

Sorry Mr Randall, here at Vibrant Victoria we don't base decisions on wonky city maps and inane neighbourhood plans, we use logic in the placement of our threads.

I am therefore proclaiming this project to be rightly DOWNTOWN!!!

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:58 AM

Sorry Mr Randall, here at Vibrant Victoria we don't base decisions on wonky city maps and inane neighbourhood plans, we use logic in the placement of our threads.

I am therefore proclaiming this project to be rightly DOWNTOWN!!!

Oh, that's like a volley across the bow! Try taking a project out of James Bay and see what happens!

#6 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:18 AM

Whats funny is the City can't even stick to a single definition of "Downtown". I picked up a handout on of the "Draft Downtown Plan" on the weekend and in it they had two different maps of what downtown contains. Then when it comes to banning skateboards the downtown area has changed again. Anyone remember the massive area that defined "Downtown" when they were looking at banning late night eateries?

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

Antique Row building alteration exposes downtown border slalom
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=2223

The aging single-story Price’s Lock and Safe building along Fort Street’s Antique Row is slated to shed its dated exterior.

Described by the Downtown Victoria Residents’ Association’s Chair Robert Randall as a “modest” proposal, the changes would include construction of an additional floor set several meters back from the street, planned as office space for Price’s, while the street level would be allocated to retail in a refreshed space. [...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:03 AM

I will be on CBC Radio One 90.5 AM this morning at 6:50 a.m. talking about the crazy Downtown borders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users