Moon Under Water Brewery and Distillery, pub and tasting room | 350 Bay Street

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:48 AM

The family that was looking to open a brewpub at Cormorant and Blanshard has apparently found a new site "near the Bay St. Bridge", as reported in the NPNA meeting minutes I just received. They expect to be open by the end of summer. I'll try to find out more, obviously we would all be very curious as to what end of the bridge.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:51 AM

Paradon Computers would be a good spot. Ot perhaps in the bottom of one of the new buildings on Tyee?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:54 AM

Maybe it's inside Point Ellice House. :D

#4 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

This restaurant space in Dockyard Green has been empty since they built it. I walk by it every day. Not sure it would make the best pub site, but since my office is two down I look forward to its opening if this is it.

#5 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:23 AM

Must be on the Vic West side, I can't see anything across the bridge being zoned for that purpose.

#6 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

I have heard rumour about the Dockside Green site being a brewpub for sometime. If that's the site, good luck to them.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

Well, here we go. NPNA land-use says:

The owner told me the brewpub will be at 350-B Bay St. Across from Lehigh Materials (gravel yard), between Turner St. and Pleasant St. Hopefully open late summer, but that sounds ambitious.

Huh. I like it.

That's the former DIRECT BUY store/showroom.

#8 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

Well, here we go. NPNA land-use says:

Huh. I like it.

That's the former DIRECT BUY store/showroom.

Good grief. Get a free serving a dust with every order?!

There is 0 parking in that area. Do they expect customers to walk or take the bus?

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

Say what? There's a parking lot in the picture. Or are we thinking they'll build on the parking lot?

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Say what? There's a parking lot in the picture. Or are we thinking they'll build on the parking lot?

Not nearly enough for a Brew Pub.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:58 AM

There looks to be about 25 stalls right there.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:01 AM

That is more than Canoe Club has.

#13 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

A few less than our famous urinal: http://www.vibrantvi...p?t=1426&page=4

oops... wrong type of stall.... :P
"I know nothing"

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:29 AM

Rock Bay brew pub proposal seeks rezoning

When the husband and wife team of Don and Bonnie Bradley proposed the idea of a brew pub in Victoria’s Burnside Gorge neighbourhood, you’d be forgiven for assuming it would be in a trendy development like Selkirk Waterfront or Dockside Green.

Instead, the Bradleys chose a unit in a non-descript commercial strip mall along Bay Street’s industrial heart.

A Community Association meeting looking into the rezoning application will be held tonight at the Burnside Gorge Community Centre on Cecilia Road. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:51 AM

Well, let's see. They are looking for a liquor-primary license.

The last time one was given to a start-up (and not attached to a hotel, or a change to an existing one) must be some time in the late 80's or maybe early 90's, I'd think.

If any council is going to pass it, it'd be this one, but who knows. The last council said they were against any more primary-licensed seats in the city, period. This council granted one to both the Events Centre, and to the Royal Theatre since.

I would think that Podium would have tried for a liquor-primary if they thought they had a hope in hell of getting one. They never did. They are part-owned by the maker of Lighthouse beer, but they can not sell it there.

#16 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

i wouldn't say it's on a side street, but I think it's a little too far out of the way for drunks & rowdies, and it's definitely two mins from a bus stop :D it would look kind of funny with an "uncompromisingly Victorian" interior & that exterior though :P cool to see though, I can't wait to try their stout

#17 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

If any council is going to pass it, it'd be this one, but who knows. The last council said they were against any more primary-licensed seats in the city, period. This council granted one to both the Events Centre, and to the Royal Theatre since.

Off topic, I know, but the logic of not offering more licenses is bizarre to me. Instead of cramming everyone into the Sticky Wicket, I'd love to see more smaller local places like Smiths or the Bent Mast. I bet neither of those places has any significant calls to the cops - it is the mega booze ups and dance halls that cause the problems. The only way you can encourage more smaller establishments is to offer more licenses, so why a blanket prohibition? It makes no sense.

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

Bent Mast isn't Liquor primary.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Bent Mast isn't Liquor primary.

True.

They ought to kill the difference between the two. At 9pm on Saturday night, what is the difference between the Irish Times, and Earl's across the road? (Except that Earl's has hotter girls, making less tips, getting tips from younger patrons than at I.T.). Who can even see the differences between the LP and FP sections of Sticky Wicket?

I'm not even sure you need to keep youngsters out of a cabaret. A 12-year-old can go to a concert at Save On and sit beside a 20-year-old that gives her beer, and she is less likely to be seen imbibing than at a dance-club.

We have strange rules.

#20 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

^^ Huh, well if their primary business is to sell food, I'm not clear how they are still in business! Are minors allowed?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users