Photo

Soprano's Karaoke Bar and Grill | Victoria | 1961 Douglas St. (Closed in 2013)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

Victoria's sole karaoke bar clings to life as Traveller's Inn sale mulled
By Paul Seal, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=2540

John Asfar used to proudly describe it as the “flagship” hotel of the Travellers’s Inn chain.

Today there was no sign of John Asfar (or his father, Najib, also named in the proceedings) as the Traveller’s Inn hotel at 1961 Douglas Street faced a hearing in BC Supreme Court to decide its future.

At the heart of the day-long hearing were questions about the immediate fate of not just the hotel property, but the survival of two well-known businesses leasing space at the hotel and employing over thirty full and part-time workers. [...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

Access off Caledonia, Chatham becomes Caledonia when it crosses Douglas.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

Fixed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

Gee, I just happen to be writing a history of the Imperial Inn. Now the story may take an interesting turn.
I first went to the Crown 'n I Pub back in 1975 (located where Soprano's Bar & Grille is located today). I have a few photographs, postcards and a lot of memories of both the pub and lounge.

The Imperial Inn opened in 1961 with a coffee shop and cocktail lounge. The beer parlour opened in circa. 1966. There was also a sing-a-long cabaret which operated 1967-1969 called the Gilded Cage: http://www.flickr.co...ory/2771363358/
The Hotel opened with a Chinese-Japanese type theme complete with statues, bonzai trees, Japanese arches and goldfish ponds.
http://www.flickr.co...ory/2762109416/

I will certainly miss the Poolside Lounge and especially the staff whom I feel are some of the best in town. Many of the staff have worked many years in the business from various other closed establishments such as the Cherry Bank Hotel and the old Wilson Inn's the Old Bailey Pub (now Smiths).
I am familiar with the Red Lion and speculate if they do purchase the hotel under their terms, they will most likely reopen the lounge and the pub. But in what style is unknown.
This is putting the cart before the horse as the sale may stall.
Should be interesting whatever happens. I just hope the current staff at the Poolside Lounge and the pub have the first crack at employment at the new establishment if they do purchase it.

#5 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

The Imperial Inn opened in 1961 with a coffee shop and cocktail lounge.

I knew the bartender in the lounge. Never liked the pub.

#6 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

Just had to share our Soprano's experience (tonight's burger/beer/Seals ticket promotion). Waited forever to get noticed by the waitress, who was silent and surly. After the drinks we thought they had forgotten about our burgers, though people arriving after us got served, no rhyme or reason to it. Finally the food came in time to bolt it down and head out the door for the game. One of us asked for no mayo on it - came with mayo, of course. I asked for salad with it, it came with fries. Our burgers (unlike at some other tables) lacked tomato and lettuce. When we asked, we were told the kitchen was "out" of said vegetables (this at about 6:30 pm). Oddly, I was later brought the salad I had ordered, which contained lettuce and tomato.

So little service we couldn't even buy a round of drinks (after the ones that came with the meal). We get to the ballpark with our tickets and head for the side entrance, only to be told that the tickets we were sold by Soprano's were for a game in late May. Some discussion followed and we were directed to "the main line" to exchange the tickets. I guess these were unused tickets purchased in bulk before the season started. I guess you get what you pay for :)

If Soprano's is going to advertise big events and try to get people in the door with discounts, they should be prepared to follow through. I think our fearless Moderator would have had things squared away if he was still the man in charge over there.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

^ Oh dear. I know someone who will most likely be disappointed hearing about your experience. That is no way to run an airline.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:10 AM

Just had to share our Soprano's experience (tonight's burger/beer/Seals ticket promotion). Waited forever to get noticed by the waitress, who was silent and surly. After the drinks we thought they had forgotten about our burgers, though people arriving after us got served, no rhyme or reason to it. Finally the food came in time to bolt it down and head out the door for the game. One of us asked for no mayo on it - came with mayo, of course. I asked for salad with it, it came with fries. Our burgers (unlike at some other tables) lacked tomato and lettuce. When we asked, we were told the kitchen was "out" of said vegetables (this at about 6:30 pm). Oddly, I was later brought the salad I had ordered, which contained lettuce and tomato.

So little service we couldn't even buy a round of drinks (after the ones that came with the meal). We get to the ballpark with our tickets and head for the side entrance, only to be told that the tickets we were sold by Soprano's were for a game in late May. Some discussion followed and we were directed to "the main line" to exchange the tickets. I guess these were unused tickets purchased in bulk before the season started. I guess you get what you pay for :)

If Soprano's is going to advertise big events and try to get people in the door with discounts, they should be prepared to follow through. I think our fearless Moderator would have had things squared away if he was still the man in charge over there.

Ya, it was a disaster, they planned for 100 to go, 250 showed up. Luckily, I am not in charge any more, I'm just a civilian.

In fairness, the team also planned for 2000 at the park, they got 4700 and the line for beers at the game was over 1/2 hour. I know, I was in it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 OTRA17

OTRA17
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

Ya, it was a disaster, they planned for 100 to go, 250 showed up. Luckily, I am not in charge any more, I'm just a civilian.

In fairness, the team also planned for 2000 at the park, they got 4700 and the line for beers at the game was over 1/2 hour. I know, I was in it.

only planned for 100?? what did they expect...you cant give away freebies like this and not expect a crowd...running out of food isnt something new to them. It happens far to often..

I wonder who is to blame, or better yet avoids it!! I love the idea of having to GIVE away to bring people in. It simply makes everyone aware how smart the ownership group really is.:D

#10 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:38 AM

Word is New Year's Eve will be the last day of business for Soprano's. No big surprise.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 31 December 2013 - 06:38 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

From what I've heard the hotel has other plans in mind. The owner of Sopranos must be seeking out alternative locations to move to bar to.

Know it all.

#12 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

Nothing that I have heard of of yet. They would need to find a empty spot with a license.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

So the license is owned by the hotel?

Know it all.

#14 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Yes the license is owned by the hotel. Remember Soprano's used to be across the street and upstairs at Pual's origanilly.

#15 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yeah confirmed on their Facebook page.

It's the end of a 13.5 year era. Sopranos closes tonight at 3am - forever!

Wonder what'll happen with the licence.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

Good question. Maybe they'll build a much larger bar, or maybe relocate the bar to another part of the building?

Many of the staff that work at Sopranos have worked there for years. And who knows when Brian Marko will open another bar.

Know it all.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Yeah confirmed on their Facebook page.

Wonder what'll happen with the licence.

It's for sale.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

So the license is owned by the hotel?

Yes, but the hotel has had four owners in the last 3 years, if you include the receivers.  The one previous to the current one stabbed 5 of his staff with scissors.  The new one is not known to stab, but the lease was up and he plans to convert the space to more rooms.

#19 pawnmaster

pawnmaster
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

He can still lease the licence to a diferent location, if thats what the Owners of Sopranos choose to do. Sops owner started as the Kareoke Club accross the street in the old copper club above pauls motor in, leased the licence there then made the jump to the hotel.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Welcome to the forum, pawnmaster!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users