Browns Social House and Browns Crafthouse locations in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:11 AM

Mike K. and I checked it out last night. We didn't eat.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

The space is quite small and heavily staffed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

I said the same thing today. I was surprised at how small the space was, not that it was tiny but the few times I walked by prior to my first visit, i thought it was a much bigger restaurant. I had also commented to my wife that I was surprised by the number of staff on for a Sunday afternoon. It's not uncommon for a new place to over hire at the start and then "weed out" the week servers in the first few weeks but a Sunday on a long weekend isn't the busiest time of year.

I had a burger and loved it. My wife also enjoyed her lunch and we both thought the prices were in check with what we were served.

#4 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

I went there for lunch and had the spicy chicken club and yam fries. The sandwich was very good and not greasy at all, the server was very attentive (it was very slow), and the prices were in line with earls/cactus club. It wasn't anything special for sure, as it feels like you are at cactus club, but I'd say its a fine place. Cactus club and earls are always full on weekends, so I dont see why this place wouldnt be too.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

No advertising. It will be.

#6 balance

balance
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

went there tues night. it was packed. on par with cactus club and earls -like what others mentioned.

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

Had some family go to Brown's recently and actually ended up having the waitress shouting and arguing at them when they wern't happy with their food and got their orders wrong (these are both people without any attitude and are always polite). Over priced crappy food and uncomfortable chairs.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

Had some family go to Brown's recently and actually ended up having the waitress shouting and arguing at them when they wern't happy with their food and got their orders wrong (these are both people without any attitude and are always polite). Over priced crappy food and uncomfortable chairs.

Isn't there a septic tank service called Browns?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

Oddly enough, I suggest to a colleague that we go there for lunch today, not having read any of these comments. The waiter actually dropped a couple of casual f-bombs and s-bombs in our conversation, without us having said much of anything. I would have our servers fired on the spot if they cursed in their opening salvo.

That said, I'd have to say that I actually enjoyed the food. I had a burner which I asked them to cajunize. The bun was interesting - it had that sugar/egg painted sheen of a McDonalds bun, but was whole wheat, a bit dry and no match for the juicy burger. The patty itself was thin and slightly undercooked, which - although surprised to see - the surprise was pleasant, as in BC, I understand that we are mandated by law to cook the crap out of our burgers (i.e., no pink).

The accompanying house salad was a delight, I have to say - fresh greens mingled with tiny beans, corn, walnuts, dates (yeah, dates in a house salad!), cherry tomatoes and feta, finished in an apple miso vinagrette. And the price was reasonable - $13.

The place was small - much smaller than I had thought - but the scenery was aaaaaaaallllll right... ;)

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

Oddly enough, I suggest to a colleague that we go there for lunch today, not having read any of these comments. The waiter actually dropped a couple of casual f-bombs and s-bombs in our conversation, without us having said much of anything. I would have our servers fired on the spot if they cursed in their opening salvo.

Ya, I would not absolutely forbid that language, but it would have to be if you are really getting along with the customer and the very rare occasion calls for it, and nobody could hear from another table. Gee whiz.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

Looks like trucker-mouth is gone :P

Browns Socialhouse is looking for an experienced+outgoing Host/Hostess (downtown victoria)
http://victoria.en.c...1886452990.html

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

"• Excellent interpersonal skills, guest service, and oral/written communication skills

•A flexable schedule "

hahah, nice

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Been there three times now. I don't know why I kept going back, the food is nothing special. Convenience, I guess.

Anyway, I won't be going back any time soon after my experience on Sunday at 10 am. It took us 45 minutes for us to get our very simple brunch dishes. My wife ordered the breakfast sandwich. The egg wasn't cooked right, so she sent it back. Not a big deal - in fact they took it off the bill. I give them kudos for that. But the lettuce in her sandwich was so old that it was wilted and brown. Not cool.
I ordered the breakfast burger. The patty was so charred and crunchy, it appeared as if it was simply re-heated from the night before. Seriously, there was no juice or pliability in this patty at all. It was probably the worst patty I had put in my mouth. My lettuce was in the same state as my wife's.

In the end we never got our coffee refilled ($2.50 each). Our waitress never asked how our meal was. We had to holler to get anything. She was not busy, just appeared not to care.
The whole thing took an hour and a half when it should have been done in an hour or less.

I also appreciate it when they don't have a kids menu, they'd be willing to throw something together for a little one. There's none of that here. The management obviously don't want our kind around. Families aren't cool I guess.

Things are very inconsistent here.

#14 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

Went back there earlier this week for lunch. I had the blackened fish burger, my girlfriend got the chicken burger.

They have changed the menu substantially and it is WAY cheaper. All of the food is under $18, and the drinks are under $7, with lots in the $4-6 range.

Its still obviously another cactus club, but I think these changes make it way more competitive. Service was prompt, food was as expected (not amazing, but quick and good). Bill was more than fair.

#15 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

We went tonight. I though it was pretty good. I'd go back. I think the staff are still learning the new menu.

#16 mortgagealerts

mortgagealerts

Mortgage Broker

• 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

We went tonight. I though it was pretty good. I'd go back. I think the staff are still learning the new menu.

I agree, I've been there twice in the past two weeks. Friendly staff and great location. The food was pretty good too.
Lina Zussino,
Mortgage Broker, Harbour View Mortgages

Blog
- http://www.mortgagealerts.ca

#17 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

i havent been, but probobly will not after readingt his stuff. also heard there is NO local beer on tap. when a friend asked what there local beer was they said Granville Island?
Victoria has some of the best beer around, would make sense to have soem on tap instead of cheap domestic stuff.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

i havent been, but probobly will not after readingt his stuff. also heard there is NO local beer on tap. when a friend asked what there local beer was they said Granville Island?
Victoria has some of the best beer around, would make sense to have soem on tap instead of cheap domestic stuff.

I believe this is a company-owned location, not run by a franchisee, so decisions, for ease of ordering, deals already in place with certain suppliers etc., might be made elsewhere.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

Looking for a FOH Manager

http://victoria.en.c...2049784724.html

#20 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

Mrs. ASE and I went for lunch yesterday; based on the experience (get there before 11:45 for lunch, at least on a Friday), we'll definitely come back.

With some trepidation, since I am a huge fan of Thai food and have probably eaten at any Thai establishment in this town worthy of the name, I ordered the chicken/shrimp pad thai. I asked for it to be jazzed up since the server advised it normally came out of the kitchen somewhat 'on the tame side'. In a word it was excellent. I would order it again in a heartbeat, as would Mrs ASE and the Thai chicken soup she requested, which was also delicious. No complaints.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users