Photo

Spinnakers | Victoria | 308 Catherine St.

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:32 PM

Is it just me, or has the service and food gone down hill at Spinnakers? It used to be an awesome place for food, drinks and great views. Now the staff seem agitated and the food leaves much to be desired.

Thoughts?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:11 PM

I'd agree, the place was good maybe 5 years ago? Same goes for Swan's. They both need Gordon Ramsey to invade them!
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:12 PM

Who's Gordon Ramsey?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:21 PM

He has that show on Fox called "Hell's Kitchen" where you win a restaurant but the UK show "Kitchen nightmares" on the food network is better. He helps turn around restaurants that are about to go belly up. It's good stuff if you've ever worked in the industry.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_living/ramsays_kitchen_nightmares/ramsays_kitchen_nightmares.jsp

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:23 PM

Ah. Thanks!

Know it all.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

There's a similar show where a chef and an interior designer fix up Canadian restaurants. Don't know its name.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:37 AM

Restaurant Makeover - I actually really like that show. Thought the chef can a real jerk sometimes to the cooks at these restaurants.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

I'll have to check that show out because I really like Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.

#9 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

I don't even like going in this place the staff seem so uptight.

It could be the sign of poor management.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:02 AM

I went down to Spinnakers last night for a few beers when low and behold two of my high school friends were waitressing there. I used that as an opportunity to inquire about the general situation of the pub.

They confirmed that the place has undergone significant changes. Staff turnover and management issues are sending ripples through the staff which in turn gets passed on to customers. The waitresses are cold and don't care much about the customers. Ditto for the kitchen staff who can't be bothered to make an extra effort.

However, the local band playing folky/swing tunes was awesome. As was the Spinnakers beer :)

Know it all.

#11 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

I'm a regular at Spinnakers for at least the last three years and the only thing that is still good there is the beer and the location.

Most of the food there is mediocre at best and as has been noted by other, the service is prefunctory. It's probably not going to improve for me because I only tip the bartender. Rarely has a server done anything more than bring out a meal, take the plate when I'm done and give me the check, so I tip zero.

The place is such a gem and could be a world-class pub with excellent service and food to go with the location and beer. It looks great, it's in a perfect spot - the place has it all and could be a gold mine.

It needs a makeover from top to bottom. I'd fire the whole lot and start from scratch. This place simply needs someone to buy it out and run it right with the right people.

I go there because it's walking distance for me and I still like the fish and chips. The beer is still smooth as silk -- they're doing that right -- but that's it.

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

What it needs is a massive porch facing the water.

#13 simon

simon
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:58 PM

What it needs is a massive porch facing the water.

Ya, the existing porch is too small to escape the cancer crowd.

#14 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:38 PM

What ever man..it's awesome....cu cu ca caoo cawwwuuaawfff

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

^ Awesome. I might go out for a puff right now.

*Edited for content.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#16 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:10 PM

liked it better when the pub was downstairs.....far easier to throw darts....

#17 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:55 AM

It's a great looking place in a great location, but I have to state for the record that [url=http://www.spinnakers.com/:8b168]Spinnakers[/url:8b168] totally sucks when it comes to food quality and food value. I had a very expensive crappy meal there last night. I don't know why I expect anything different each time I go back there. I was walking with relatives on the Inner Harbor yesterday on a beautiful day and we decided to go there for supper. Just awful. I've never had a decent meal there. What the...? Just had to complain. Kind of suprising that I'd be complaining about something in these forums, eh? The worst was buying a $10 bottle of wine for $50. Terrible.

#18 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:42 AM

Do hope that you have complained to the management before you took it to the "public"..

The other option is to not patronize them - vote with your pocket book..

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:52 AM

You're not alone, Ror. Their food has gone downhill and this is even the opinion of servers who work there (I know a few). Although when I went there last week my meal was actually decent, which was a surprise.

The reason I go is because it's near my house and the view is great but other than that they need to work on improving their offerings. As for approaching management, they're quire aware of the issue and they've been aware for some time.

Btw, there is another thread on Spinnakers at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59

Know it all.

#20 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

I've never had good food there, I just go for the beer. I think they rely too much in their brewing reputation and location, one day they'll have to pull up their socks.

BTW, I've merged these 2 threads together.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users