Photo

Sleepless in Saanich - or Dude, where's my hotel?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

OK, I'm thinking today that Saanich could use a hotel or two out towards University Heights, don't ya think? Or how about one where McMorran's is/was? Or one on the top of Mt. Tolmie. :eek: That reminds me I wonder what happened to Asfar's Moutaintop B&B or whatever he called up top there.

Isn't there enough people visiting the University to make one near there worthwhile?

How about building one up on top of the upper parking lot of McKenzie Mall, covering 2/3 of that area, and most with rooms facing Garnet, right here?

#2 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

The Cadboro Bay Hotel
$4 per night including meals

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:07 AM

There is a major need for a hotel near the University. There is a lot of traffic of people coming into town to be at UVic for a few days and this calls for a hotel. In the summer months some of the demand can be met by rez, but that is only bottom end of the market.

Four tourism, the location that needs one is near hwy #17 and Mackenzie

There may also be the case for a small hotel near VIATEC and Camosun

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

Four tourism, the location that needs one is near hwy #17 and Mackenzie

There may also be the case for a small hotel near VIATEC and Camosun

You do have the HoJo out there at Royal Oak close to both those.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

I forgot all about that one......

#6 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

I agree with the need for a hotel in the area. anyone know if uvic has much conference space? if they do then this could further the need for one.

#7 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

OK, I'm thinking today that Saanich could use a hotel or two out towards University Heights, don't ya think? Or how about one where McMorran's is/was? Or one on the top of Mt. Tolmie. :eek: That reminds me I wonder what happened to Asfar's Moutaintop B&B or whatever he called up top there.

Isn't there enough people visiting the University to make one near there worthwhile?

How about building one up on top of the upper parking lot of McKenzie Mall, covering 2/3 of that area, and most with rooms facing Garnet, right here?

Looks like someone has started on my hotel project... Bedding coming in now.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:03 AM

Make that the new and improved McKenzie Mall!  Slogan:  "Now ready for a hotel".

before5.png new1.JPG new2.JPG new3.JPG

Whoever did this work, it's a very sharp job.  It sure does not look inexpensive.

• lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

This was on Expedia, interesting... competing for the Air BNB crowd.  Hotels must hate it.

Special check-in instructions:

There is no front desk at this property. To make arrangements for check-in please contact the property at least 24 hours before arrival using the information on the booking confirmation.

screenshot-www.expedia.ca 2016-03-28 11-16-01.jpg

I was thinking about this the other day.  People with student accommodations Sept - March, can now rent out over the high tourist season easier for dailies.  When I was a kid, we knew it was always easer to find an apartment in April than in September.  Maybe now they can fill that.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

I guess you are charged extra for decor.

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

This property changed ownership last year.

It looks to me like the property is zoned for residential use.
I wonder how the municipality views hotel listings for residential properties as opposed to vacation rentals and B&B's.

Looks like a nice quiet dead end street...well at least until the football team from Cranbrook shows up.

http://findhomevicto...etails-46404448
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:41 AM

This property changed ownership last year.

It looks to me like the property is zoned for residential use.
I wonder how the municipality views hotel listings for residential properties as opposed to vacation rentals and B&B's.

Looks like a nice quiet dead end street...well at least until the football team from Cranbrook shows up.

http://findhomevicto...etails-46404448

I was gonna say kind of the same thing.  You know, in a condo, you don't know lots of your neighbours anyway, lots of coming and going.  Country estate/home, with long driveway off main road, no big deal if your neighbour on the next acreage has guests.  But on relatively small lots in Gordon Head/Mt. Tolmie, and renting by the room?  Hmmm..

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:08 PM

After more than twenty years as a Travelodge, we are now officially Days Inn Victoria Uptown!

https://www.facebook...?type=3

13133253_1065363550189643_12956400094539

12963626_1054800564579275_42865622378004

#15 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

I guess you are charged extra for decor.

Expedia is expanding services to compete with Airbnb and Homeaway.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:41 AM

Expedia is expanding services to compete with Airbnb and Homeaway.

Ya very interesting.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

Why am I not able to place that motel? Where is that?

Edit: That's on the Gorge? "Uptown" might just be the most amorphous designation in all Victoria.

Edited by aastra, 03 May 2016 - 10:26 AM.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

July 4 cannot come quickly enough for Reid James.

The general manager of the Hotel Grand Pacific has the day circled on his calendar as that’s when he gets 116 of his hotel’s 304 rooms back in service after a massive renovation.

“Timing is everything,” James said, noting that while the tourism industry has boomed, the hotel has been without as many as 200 rooms at a time since last fall when it started the external renovation on its eastern tower. “For sure, we could have sold those extra rooms that were out of order in the east tower many times over.”

The exterior work, which started in September, included work on the walls, windows and patio doors on the tower that was built in 1989. James would not put a dollar figure on it. That work is to be completed by June 24.

At the same time, there has been a $5-million interior renovation with a complete upgrade of the rooms in the tower. Right now they are doing all of the bedrooms, and expect to do the bathrooms in the fall.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.vjqILW0Z.dpuf

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

Do we always have to leave it up to VibrantVictoria to set things straight?

A "dry spell" over the last 15-years, hey?

What has become clear, with another strong start to the tourism season, is the city could use new hotels.

Bourree, who has been doing hotel feasibility studies for 25 years, said the time is right.

“We are experiencing a real capacity issue and in July and August it will get quite severe,” he said.

And while the city has seen a “dry spell” of hotel construction in the last 15 years, that could change.

“In the last month, we have been approached by four qualified developers who want to build limited-service hotels,” he said.

“There’s a real market for that here,” Bourree said. “Generally, the rule of thumb in a community is when you start exceeding 70 per cent annual occupancy, that is the tipping point for new hotel development, and last year was the first year we did that.”

Bourree would not say who the developers are, but said all four have acquired land. There is one in Duncan, two in the West Shore and one downtown.

How in the world can you even begin to suggest we've had a "dry spell?" I'd say we've had a pretty darned good run well within the last 15 years.

- Marriott [Victoria]

- Trendwest [Victoria]

- Parkside [Victoria]

- Oswego [Victoria]

- Oak Bay Beach Hotel [Oak Bay]

- The Pier [Sidney]

- Holiday Inn [Colwood]

- Best Western [Sooke]

- Westin [Bear Mountain]

- Four Points [Langford]

- Brentwood Bay Resort [Central Saanich]

We must be looking at well over 1,000 transient accommodations built over the last decade and a half. And I'm sure I've missed one or two projects.

And of course over that period we also ditched two hotels (Queen Vic which became Q Apartments and Dominion Hotel, which became Rocket Residences).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

The article mentions the loss of the QV, but you're right, that struck me as an odd comment. And I was really only thinking of the Marriott and Parkside!

I don't doubt that there was less hotel construction from 2000-15 than there was from 1985-2000 (the Hotel Grand Pacific's big expansion would have been pre-2000, right?), but then again, how much new hotel construction do we expect in a city Victoria's size?

What do we have from 1985-2000?

the one on Douglas by the transit yard

Hotel Grand Pacific expansion

Hotel Grand Pacific

Magnolia

Harbourside

Laurel Point expansion

Ocean Pointe

Edit: a couple of smaller ones in James Bay?

Edited by aastra, 14 June 2016 - 06:18 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users