• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

Mammoth CFB Esquimalt construction project spans two decades

By Robert Randall • Published on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Although it’s been in the works since 1998, it’s likely few Victorians have noticed what will become one of Victoria’s largest new buildings.

Its formal name is FMF Cape Breton but it’s more commonly know as the Fleet Maintenance Unit, the Navy’s newest addition to CFB Esquimalt and the central hub for the repair and overhaul of Canada’s west coast naval fleet.
[...]

#2 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Back in the late 80's I worked on the original Cape Breton for a summer during University. She was a stripped-down Liberty Ship with workshops and accommodation for Navy Reserves doing training during the summer. It's nice they kept the name. I doubt that we will find nude sunbathers on the roof as we did on the ships flying bridge that summer.

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

^^ When we took the walking tour with VV a while ago, I think it was mentioned that this is the second largest building in North America behind a Boing plant in Washington.

Someone will correct me if I did not get that right. Very big building.

#4 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

Your article states current construction is being completed by PCL, that is incorrect, PCL did the previous phase, while the current phase is being built by Stuart Olson. PCL hasn't been on site in around 5 years.

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for the correction on the construction company. I had my phases mixed up. I will correct the article.

As for the size of the building, it doesn't seem to set any records internationally. FMF Cape Breton's floor space is measured in the tens of thousands of square metres while the world's largest buildings are measured in the hundreds or millions of square metres. I corrected the square footage as I believe the number I used was actually only phase three. Still, at just over 310,000 sq. ft. it's larger than the new Uptown Walmart superstore. It may be the largest non-public accessible building on the Island.

#6 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Really good article Rob!!

^^ When we took the walking tour with VV a while ago, I think it was mentioned that this is the second largest building in North America behind a Boing plant in Washington.

Someone will correct me if I did not get that right. Very big building.

We were told that but I don't think it is correct.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

There's some freaking big buildings on this list. West Edmonton Mall isn't even in the list of top five biggest malls.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

I've heard second largest covered space on the West Coast mentioned several times.....

#9 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

I am shocked by the number of employees working down at dockyard, with military and civillian it must be one of the biggest employers in the area? What a marketing goldmine!

#10 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

Renderings of the New Dockyard Firehall and Emergency Services building now under construction on Esquimalt Road.

#11 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

Thanks, Vanrider, and welcome to the forum!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

The post on the helicopter facility has been moved to this thread. :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Got it. There are a couple of other projects on the horizon for CFB Esquimalt, once drawings and pictures are available I will post them on the forum.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

That would be very much appreciated, Van. Do you have any more info as to what these projects could be?

Know it all.

#16 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

That would be very much appreciated, Van. Do you have any more info as to what these projects could be?

Replacement of A and B jetties
Replacement of small boat floats with new jetties for Tug boats, Oriole and ORCA Class patrol boats
New Junior Ranks quarters
New Junior rank accomodations

These projects are in the 5 to 15 year time frame. Both Esquimalt and Halifax have rather large infrastructure deficits.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

Sounds like a lot is coming down the pipes. Do you have more details about the junior ranks buildings, such as floor heights?

Know it all.

#18 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:32 AM

Sounds like a lot is coming down the pipes. Do you have more details about the junior ranks buildings, such as floor heights?

No they are still in the design stage.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:20 AM

Ok cool, thanks.

Know it all.

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

How absurd is the statement by Defence Minister Peter MacKay, that he would not give assurances that would protect the Canadian Forces Base in Esquimalt from closure.

Yet just two weeks ago at CFB Esquimalt...

Minister of National Defence, Peter MacKay formally declared the new HAZMAT facility complete and announced the start of another defence infrastructure project planned for the base.

http://www2.canada.c...ee-47859c61d8b3

http://www.lookoutne...ries.php?id=333

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users