BUILT
The Jukebox
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1029 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Jukebox is a nine-storey, mixed-use condominium residence along the 1000-block of View Street in downtown ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Jukebox on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Jukebox | Condos; commercial | 9-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

Developer Fraser McColl of Mosaic and St. Andrew's Square fame, is working on a 6-storey, ~200-unit residential project on a site in the 1000-block of View Street (one property up from the infamous sinkhole intersection).

The project will be marketed at younger buyers, and is planned to be a "funky" (in the words of the developer) concept not unlike the Mosaic.

Previous proposals for the site included two 13-storey towers, then a concept similar to Shoal Point with a ~10-storey base and a 14-storey component was proposed and ultimately canceled.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

The Jukebox? funky?
groovy

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

I somehow don't think city council will approve the giant disco ball at the front entrance or the laser light cannons on the roof.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

I like the concept of a bldg appealing to a younger demographic. Good location for it. But why call it the Jukebox? That would be appealing to 70 yr olds who remember using them.
He should better call it the iPod!

So how about some really interesting cutting edge architecture?? This would be a great project to try out some Hundertwasser !
Pieta VanDyke

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

I am interested to know how they plan on fitting 200 units in a 6 storey building. That is over 30 units a floor. The lot using the CRD natural area's atlas and an online converter comes out to 28 000 sqft. If they go to 4:1 FSR that gives you an average unit size of 560 before you have taken out any common areas if you assume a 20 percent common area size that gives you 200 units at 448. Now while I think that a selction of units in downtown should be -500 sqft this seems a little extreme. If your average unit price is $199000 (445 a sqft) that only brings in 39 million which means that build would be significantly less, is this even worth the developers money?

Constuction experts please weigh in.

#6 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

Mike, do you know if the Jukebox developers are planning to take advantage of the new regulations that permit 6-storey wood-framed buildings...?

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

BCG, I think, although I am not 100% on this, that the new woodframe regulations are going to apply here.

G-man, some units in the Mosaic were in the 300 sq. ft. range and for some individuals that's plenty of space provided the floorspace is well laid out and utilizes all surfaces to their fullest potential.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

^ I don't disagree that some smaller units are great but a little variety is also the spice of life.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

G-man, some units in the Mosaic were in the 300 sq. ft. range and for some individuals that's plenty of space provided the floorspace is well laid out and utilizes all surfaces to their fullest potential.

Exactly, I know one guy that uses an anti-gravity machine at night so that he sleeps on the ceiling surface, so underutilized in a lot of homes.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:54 PM

You should check out Rob Randall's condo in the Mosaic next time he holds his annual keg party. To his ceiling he's attached storage contraptions that work quite well in the confined space.

Know it all.

#11 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

I am interested to know how they plan on fitting 200 units in a 6 storey building. That is over 30 units a floor. The lot using the CRD natural area's atlas and an online converter comes out to 28 000 sqft. If they go to 4:1 FSR that gives you an average unit size of 560 before you have taken out any common areas if you assume a 20 percent common area size that gives you 200 units at 448. Now while I think that a selction of units in downtown should be -500 sqft this seems a little extreme. If your average unit price is $199000 (445 a sqft) that only brings in 39 million which means that build would be significantly less, is this even worth the developers money?

Constuction experts please weigh in.

I think you have taken some classes in construction and development because I really don't have much to add to your numbers, they are pretty close to reality.

I would also expect Mosaic "funky" to mean tiny and be prepared to fold up the kitchen table to the wall when its not in use. Not my idea of fun for $200K, but hey thats life.

#12 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

ugh... 6 storey fat-scraper... it better meet the street well....

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:06 AM

I think you have taken some classes in construction and development because I really don't have much to add to your numbers, they are pretty close to reality.

I would also expect Mosaic "funky" to mean tiny and be prepared to fold up the kitchen table to the wall when its not in use. Not my idea of fun for $200K, but hey thats life.

Thanks! This forum is my only class but I do pay attention :)

#14 CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:13 AM

Check this out - you can do a lot with less than 500 sqft.

Now someone get back on topic.;)

#15 LittleMagellan

LittleMagellan
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

There has been a lot of racket outside my window today, as there is a "Drillwell: geotechnical-environmental" truck outside drilling what seems to be wells in this empty lot behind my place: http://maps.google.c...,196.96,,0,9.21

Does anyone know what the space is planned for? I can only assume something's going there...

#16 LittleMagellan

LittleMagellan
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

If I posted this in the wrong forum, please move it to the appropriate one.
Thanks.

#17 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

That's the View & Vancouver lot - we have a thread for that somewhere (mods?), and, yes, I think it was mentioned that stuff was happening on the eastern-end (not at the corner itself, which is a separately owned lot, i.e., there are 2 lots).
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#18 LittleMagellan

LittleMagellan
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:58 AM

Oh noooo... maybe THAT'S why the guy I bought the place from sold it... I'm going to have this ginormous thing in front of my window. Ugh.

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:18 AM

You didn't know this lot would be developed? Even the physical appearance of the site gives that away. Did you think of asking anyone?

Anyway. You might be okay. There might be plenty of space between your building and this new one.

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

Another hint a major development was possible may have been the steel and concrete pilings visible that date back several decades to a previous abandoned construction attempt.

I was told it was a Multi-Unit Residential Building (MURB) project, a 1970s Federal attempt at stimulating construction starts. Apparently, the program backfired and actually depressed market rents by $150 a month according to this source.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)