VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Roxy theatre for sale for $1.2 million

By Carla Wilson, Times Colonist July 16, 2010 3:08 AM

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0tr0T2zmU

[...]
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

It would be downright tragic if this property were redeveloped. It's perfect as it is. Surely it's turning a profit. C'mon, Howie...buy it back and hire a manager to run it. It's an irreplaceable landmark.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

The Fox. Good times. Do they still have double seats in the back row?

#4 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

It would be downright tragic if this property were redeveloped. It's perfect as it is. Surely it's turning a profit. C'mon, Howie...buy it back and hire a manager to run it. It's an irreplaceable landmark.

I think so too

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:35 AM

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

^ Wow if it still looked like that last picture it would sell for way more!

It would be a shame if it wasn't in the village as it is one of the evening.

I think that Cinecenta should be opening a second location that runs their type of films. They do second run but intersperse it with good documentary. The trouble is that going to UVic is a hassle for films. If it was in Quadra Village you could hit San Remo of dinner, watch a movie, then end up at the pub for the post film deliberation and finally just walk home.

#7 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

How many times have we heard "I have no intention of selling it"?
Six months later and the cash grab is on!

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

It would sure be fun to own that.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

then end up at the pub for the post film deliberation

or between movies at a double or triple feature? Isn't there a 10-15min break between movies?

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

or between movies at a double or triple feature? Isn't there a 10-15min break between movies?

Why not drink right in the seats? The Royal Theatre now is licensed to have 1400 people drinking in their seats, why not at the Roxy? Although I'm not sure if there isn't something right in the liquor rules prohibiting it in movie theatres...

Why is my spell check tingling? Is it theatre in Canada, theater in the US?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

I was born and partially raised in England and lived with my American grandmother.

I couldn't for the life of me tell you which is right, but I know they're both right somewhere :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Ever been to a cinema in France?
They bring snacks, wine and beer around to the seats while you watch.

#13 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

The Roxy is a pathetic excuse for a movie theatre.

I haven't been to something so run down and lacking in general maintenance since the night I wound up in the downtown eastside's Funky Winkerbean.

I refuse to go there at any price due to the complete disregard for regular maintenance. Stains on the walls, even on the screen!!, sticky floors, stained seats and a smell you'd expect in a public bathroom all do little to encourage patronage.

Unless someone is willing to return the theatre to its former glory, I won't shed a tear if the place is torn down.

And for what its worth I used to frequent the Roxy before Howie began plans to offload it.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

I haven't been to something so run down and lacking in general maintenance since the night I wound up in the downtown eastside's Funky Winkerbean.

Love that place! It's like the old Douggie, but 3 x the size!

#15 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

Why not drink right in the seats? The Royal Theatre now is licensed to have 1400 people drinking in their seats, why not at the Roxy? Although I'm not sure if there isn't something right in the liquor rules prohibiting it in movie theatres...

I guess I can see how someone might want to have a few beers while at a (for example) martial-arts triple feature :cool:

I'm pretty sure it's theatre in the UK & theater in the US... not sure what it is in Canada

#16 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

The Roxy is a pathetic excuse for a movie theatre.

I refuse to go there at any price due to the complete disregard for regular maintenance. Stains on the walls, even on the screen!!, sticky floors, stained seats and a smell you'd expect in a public bathroom all do little to encourage patronage.

Unless someone is willing to return the theatre to its former glory, I won't shed a tear if the place is torn down.

And for what its worth I used to frequent the Roxy before Howie began plans to offload it.

Have to agree with you there on all counts. I was there about 6 months ago. The picture was out of focus, the aisles were dirty, and the attendant looked and acted like he would jack you if you came across him in a poorly lit alley.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

...the attendant looked and acted like he would jack you if you came across him in a poorly lit alley.

Totally :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

I couldn't for the life of me tell you which is right, but I know they're both right somewhere...

And that somewhere is here!

#19 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

It is Theatre in Canada expect our print media decided years ago to use American spellings and therefore we get confusion.

$1.2 million... Does that include the land?

It is a space that can work for live theatre and music as well, it does not need to only be a movie theatre. I saw a production by Mark Leiren Young in there in the late 1980s.

If one were to hold concerts in there four times a month, I think that could be a good boost to the income.

My big down side for considering anything to do with the place is the quality of the building. It has always struck me as being pretty low quality construction.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

It is Theatre in Canada expect our print media decided years ago to use American spellings and therefore we get confusion.

$1.2 million... Does that include the land?

It is a space that can work for live theatre and music as well, it does not need to only be a movie theatre. I saw a production by Mark Leiren Young in there in the late 1980s.

If one were to hold concerts in there four times a month, I think that could be a good boost to the income.

My big down side for considering anything to do with the place is the quality of the building. It has always struck me as being pretty low quality construction.

Land and building. I hear you re: the other things you could do there, and I talked to the owner about that once. But the fact is, the days and times we could use another venue in this town are also the prime times for watching movies, ie. Friday and Saturday nights. You can't have a movie theatre that doesn't show movies on Friday and Saturday nights.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users