Photo

Inferno Chophouse (formerly West Coast Tap House) | Langford | 829 McCallum Road

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:52 AM

Great service, food at hidden Langford eatery

By Pam Grant, Times Colonist August 5, 2010

WEST COAST TAP HOUSE

Address: Four Points Sheraton, 829 McCallum Rd., Langford

Tel: 250-474-4490

Hours: Open daily. Minors welcome on the patio only.

Major credit cards and Interac accepted. Wheelchair accessible.

Rating 4

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0vjPhYQxh
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

The Five-0 say the Taphouse is a gangsta (or what passes for gangsta in Vic) hangout, especially on UFC nights. Apparently the hidden away location appeals to them (up behind Costco) and they don't draw heat there the way they would at a downtown venue.

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

^ If the "five-o" are so smart, how come they can't find the dork that robbed my van when I gave them his mother's address.

I have been at the Taphouse a number of times......I didn't see any gangstas.

Delightful place.

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Well it was built by Mo Sihota one of the all time great NDP gangstas.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

Well it was built by Mo Sihota one of the all time great NDP gangstas.

You got me on that one. He also used non union workers from the mainland. :(

#6 victoriagal

victoriagal
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

Went to the Tap House 1 time. Saw a lot of ed hardy, got some pretty crappy food and was only offered such great beers as kokanee and canadian on tap.
Havent been back since, granted it was when they had just opened, but also at the time the power was going out off and on while we were there!

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Went to the Tap House 1 time. Saw a lot of ed hardy, got some pretty crappy food and was only offered such great beers as kokanee and canadian on tap.

Any negatives though? :)
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

Sounds like hell.

#9 victoriagal

victoriagal
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

I feel if you have tap house in your name, you might as well carry beers worthy of being on tap! I guess i have been spoiled by the array of beers i found at the tap house in seattle!

#10 the26er

the26er
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

I feel if you have tap house in your name, you might as well carry beers worthy of being on tap! I guess i have been spoiled by the array of beers i found at the tap house in seattle!

You lost me on that - as far as I recall, they have always had many on tap and straight from the website, they have 14 (many micro-brews) - that's decent in my books and is comparable to most bars. As for the clientele, I think the 'gangster' deal to it is more related to the party crowd that follows the owner around as he used to run one of the local night clubs. He brings them in, but in the summer, they hang upstairs at the Cedar Patio and usually just evenings. I'd call it more the pretty boy crowd personally and its usually the weekend pre-club hangout.

Food - I have always enjoyed it - very good food. Prices are too high though for westshore (better off with dinner than lunch). That's the only reason I don't go there as much as I normally wood and the only reason they are not busy as hell every day IMH. They also have lousy location so many don't even know it exists. Not much you can do about that though.

#11 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, they do have a lot of beers on tap, so can't really complain on that front. But what I can complain about is the constant changing of the menu. I hate it when you find a favourite thing on a menu only to have it disappear, find something else, then have that vanish with the newest version of the menu. And, of course, the prices always get jacked when the menu changes. And quality of service has slipped of late (slow, forgetful, inattentive). The patio's nice though.

#12 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

Significant Other and I ate here last year, shortly after Pam Grant's positive review, and really enjoyed ourselves. The food was good, the server was excellent, and we liked the fact that it was off the radar.

When I found that my Entertainment Book had a coupon for breakfast, we decided to drive out there and give it a whirl, since we'd liked the dinner so much. Got there at TEN on a SATURDAY MORNING and were told that they were closed for breakfast. No food service at all until lunch, which started at 11.

Maybe it was the fact I hadn't had my coffee yet, but I was royally aggravated. Please tell me, was it unreasonable to expect breakfast service at that hour on a weekend?

As an aside: any recommendations for a breakfast place in Langford/Colwood? I live in Saanich, but don't mind making the trek for something rave-worthy.

#13 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

Today's T-C (edited)

Task force tackles Island hot spots in search of gang members

It's 10:33 p.m. Saturday night of the Canada Day long weekend in downtown Victoria, (with) eight cops from the Integrated Gang Task Force and two Victoria police officers. The uniform section of the Vancouver based task force is hard to miss as they complete the first of several bar checks on this busy night in downtown Victoria.

During their yearly visit to Victoria, task force members spent Canada Day long weekend in the downtown core, hopping from bar to bar and doing vehicle stops, looking for people from the Lower Mainland with links to organized crime and gathering intelligence on their potential associates.

The convoy of unmarked vehicles heads out to Langford, stopping at the West Coast Tap House, which is surprisingly dead for a Saturday night.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

Yup. Pontcanna mentioned back in 2010 that WCT is a known gang hangout

The Five-0 say the Taphouse is a gangsta (or what passes for gangsta in Vic) hangout, especially on UFC nights. Apparently the hidden away location appeals to them (up behind Costco) and they don't draw heat there the way they would at a downtown venue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ex-NDP MLA Moe Sihota developed the hotel property and adjacent bar, did he not? Does he have a stake in the current operations at the hotel, including the restaurant?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

WCT and Station House no longer do UFC. Gangstas are gonna have to go into town if they wanna watch now. Or go to Loghouse.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

WCT and Station House no longer do UFC. Gangstas are gonna have to go into town if they wanna watch now. Or go to Loghouse.

Not on TreoScope's watch :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Looks like things have changed yet again at the Taphouse in Langford. Went there last Friday for dinner where we perused a fairly familiar menu, had good food (not great) and paid a little (not a lot) more than it was probably worth. I also noticed all the waitresses wore tight, revealing red tops. Not that there's anything wrong with that. This Friday they had a completely new menu. And I mean completely. There is nothing on the new menu that was on the old. And a lot of the time you'd be hard pressed to even understand what the menu items are. That is if they didn't provide a handy glossary in the back. Looks like somebody's trying to go upscale. And they've jacked the prices to prove it. They've also taken to dressing the girls in more conservative all black outfits. Having said all that, it wouldn't be so bad if the food quality matched the high prices. But, sadly, it really doesn't. There's only two types of burgers to choose from now (chicken or beef) and you don't get to decide what goes on them or what comes with them. We tried them both and were quite disappointed in the dry, overcooked meat and overall lack of flavour. I'm not quite sure what type of clientele they're trying to target (the nouveau bistro crowd), but I have a feeling they're going to scare away more customers than they're going to attract with this new look.:(

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

WCTH is considered a local gang (if you want to call it that) hangout. Perhaps they're trying to shake that image and gently persuade their regular clientele to find other digs?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

WCTH is considered a local gang (if you want to call it that) hangout. Perhaps they're trying to shake that image and gently persuade their regular clientele to find other digs?

OK, instead of this mysterious post, I'll spell it out. WCTH has been the meeting place for some low-level organized crime types in WesCom. Everyone in local law enforcement knows it. But I'm sure they don't contribute more than 10% of the revenue there. They would be better of without it.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Both times I've been there (both visits between 2 and 4PM, give or take) several patrons were hanging around who, let's just say, looked the type. It's not that we were bothered by them or even cared that they were there, but I can see word spreading around the community that the place caters to the criminal element (despite it being a tiny fraction of their business, or whatever) and should be avoided.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users