Photo

[Downtown Victoria] View/Vancouver condos | 14-storeys | Canceled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:53 PM

I took these photos when I attended the open hous for this proposal on Fort St. a few months back.

The proposal is three stories over the 11 story Haris green height limit, though Haris Green has no density limit.

Alex Roney, a Regents Park resident who lives across the street from this site is organizing a protest over the height and massing. Regents Park is a 17 story condo tower in Haris Green. Funny thing is Roney, who has quoted in as saying he wants to "prevent a forest of highrises" in H.G.

Oh and by the way he lives on the 14th floor of Regents Park!

Regents Park is represented in the photo as the very tall wooden building towers which some what dwarf this proposal.[/img]

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:11 AM

I just added my downtown photo which I took tonight!!!

It shows how disgusting this property looks!!!

Excellent Example of Urban Decay! :(

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

Yeah, but according to Councillor Madoff dilapidated city lots do not warrant redevelopment.

I love the line she once used speaking on the Romeo's redevelopment: "It's heardbreaking to think people want to see development occur just because the current lot is an eyesore."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

I agree that development shouldn't be rushed just for the sake of replacing an eyesore.

I'd rather wait five years on an ugly vacant lot for a great building to be proposed than for an ugly strip mall to be built immediately.

Waiting thirty years like View/Vancouver or The Falls is getting ridiculous, however.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

She was simply upset that people thought the proposal was "better than the current lot." Through her reasoning proposals can't be thought of as better, because if they are people will blindly support them.

Nobody would support a gruesome shack to take over a gruesome parking lot, but when a fantastic proposal comes along and C. Madoff is upset because people think it's better than whats there, then what on earth is the issue?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:10 PM

I wonder if the fact that the ground is sinking will be a problem for a building there.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

yes.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#8 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

Everytime there is a minor earthquake they have a problem at that intersection. The building that used to be there was demolished in 2001 after a minor 3.something quake shook the foundations loose. Granted, it was an older building, but the ground is very soft there.

#9 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:30 AM

^I remember that happening. Also, apparently there are a ton of pilings in the ground behind where that buiding was, some sort of failed previous development.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:45 AM

It was for an old 70s MURB (Multi-Unit Residential Building) funded by the Federal Government. A lot of people lost money on these projects.

The consignment store in the old building Jada mentions had to have its ceiling propped up with steel poles while technicians periodically measured the movement of the foundation by watching how quickly the felt pen marks on the brickwork moved apart. Talk about job security!

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

I don't know anything about seizmology, but I think you'd have to be nuts to consider buying a unit here.

Doesn't look like there's any commercial in this proposal. Ground level looks like townhouses. I suppose that's okay - seems to be enough commercial in the area for the mo.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

Apparently, the developer decided trying to pull retail over onto View St. would be problematic. They're still committed to an urban-style development as opposed to the suburban-style towers of Regents Park across the street.

Note the exterior glassed-in spiral staircases on the two-storey top-floor suites.

#13 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:38 PM

Is not The Vancouver street side retail? I thought one of the street fronts had retail in it.

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

If what I've heard of this site is true, plus my limited college geology classes, I'd say this site is not a good place to be.

That road has sunk that much with almost no geological activity. Shaking + water = quicksand.

Unless these guys do some serious pile driving down to the bedrock (maybe it's not that far) I'd not want to be on this street when the big one (or even moderate one) hits.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:54 PM

Yep, if you download that giant earthquake map of Victoria you'll see that area is one of the only red zones in the core.

And yes, they'll be doing some serious pile driving. But would water seep into the basement like it continuously does over at the Regent next door? Would this exacerbate the sinking intersection problem the City is about to fix?

Scaper, I believe the only ground floor commercial activity is the planned restaurant on the corner that wraps around to Vancouver and will share the interior courtyard.

#16 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

interesting.

I also believe that this water table problem, is also going to be the sourse for a possible Geothermic energy system in this building. If I am correct.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

I've never heard them mention that but it is a good idea.

Remember the hippie chick that asked for geo-thermal for the Juliet? Or was it Volvo--I can't remember. Anyway, she was practically laughed at during the Council meeting but it's a good idea in areas where it's practical like here and The Well and The Hudson.

#18 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:41 PM

That was the juliet public hearing.

Someone told me this, it may have been Gene Miller at the open house!

I can't remember for sure. Maybe I should email him and ask him.

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

Some pics I took today of the state of the sinking intersection:

[url=http://imageshack.us:c6211][/url:c6211]

#20 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:47 AM

Those renderings remind me of Shoal Point.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users