Photo

CRD Weekly Water Watch 2010-present: Sooke & Goldstream lakes CRD reservoir levels

• Please log in to reply
748 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:13 PM

Last winter the water was going over the spillway in early January. Presently the reservoir is about 75% full.

I pick Dec 12th this year.

#2 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Sooke Lake is 99.9% full.

#3 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

What a shame we cant capture the overflow and sell it to our cousins to the south!!!

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

Sooke Lake is 99.9% full.

Egads! The CRD better enact Stage 3 watering restrictions immediately. How will we ever survive next summer with that emptiness of 1/10 of 1% full capacity??? :o

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:39 AM

Egads! The CRD better enact Stage 3 watering restrictions immediately. How will we ever survive next summer with that emptiness of 1/10 of 1% full capacity??? :o

Don't forget the consequent price increase on what we are allowed to use!

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

I want to see the CRD's income and expense report for the water service.

Were they really going to run out of money if they didn't raise the rates?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

What a shame we cant capture the overflow and sell it to our cousins to the south!!!

Actually.. the CRD should open a bottling station there. They'd make a killing from selling bottled water.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

Actually.. the CRD should open a bottling station there. They'd make a killing from selling bottled water.

I like your idea. Thats the type of thinking that enhances a community. Its a shame that the CRD is incapable of this type of perspective!

Create a community cause, divert all those plastic water bottels from the landfill, shred them, manufacture new bottles locally, fill them with our abundant resource of water, and compete.

Local jobs are created, revenue is earned instead of regressive taxes and the community is healthier.

You listening Nils?

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Water rates will likely go up again as households become more efficient at conserving water, and the CRD needs to make up the shortfall of related revenue.

Once again, the Sooke reservoir level is now at 100%, and the water is going over the spillway and down the river.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

So no watering restrictions this summer then! ;)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

The only restrictions will be instigated by homeowners when they realize how much it will cost to keep the garden properly watered.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

There is something seriously wrong with the formula, when people do the right thing, i.e. use less water, and then have to pay extra for doing that!
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Adding to that the urban core subsidizes the costly extension of water mains and supply of water to new suburban subdivisions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

There is something seriously wrong with the formula, when people do the right thing, i.e. use less water, and then have to pay extra for doing that!

Only the government can design a system that defies the laws of free-market economics. :whyme:
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#15 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

"Adding to that the urban core subsidizes the costly extension of water mains and supply of water to new suburban subdivisions."

:thumbsup:

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

^^ I am not sure. In a free market if the market anything begins to drop there are two options that are employed by companies. One is to lower the price in the hope that market share increases over the longer term and prices can go back up or as we see with some things the price increases to make up for falling demand. Only difference being that in a free enterprise sytem with the latter if demand continues to fall and increased prices cannot be maintained than the company closes.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Adding to that the urban core subsidizes the costly extension of water mains and supply of water to new suburban subdivisions.

Extension of water mains? I think the water gets to Westshore before it gets to Victoria, so Victoria would be at the end of that line.

The developer pays for the extension of water lines into any new development and the people who use the water pay for it the same as Victoria residents do.

Victoria is going to have to pay to upgrade it's water and waste water lines which are going to be subsidized by all the new residents in the new developments buying water.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Victoria Attitude on display here. :rolleyes:

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

... or as we see with some things the price increases to make up for falling demand.

Not so fast. Please name the thing you refer to here.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

I suppose BC Ferries could be another example of prices rising to cover costs, as fewer people use the ferries because of rising costs.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users