Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

This thread is meant to serve general and technical (construction) discussion and debate for the Johnson Street Bridge replacement project.

The general discussion on the old Johnson Street Bridge can be access here, and the technical discussion here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

At some point during the construction of the new Johnson Street Bridge the present rail span will be taken down so that the new bridge can be constructed in that space. As well as the loss of rail over the bridge, the cycling and pedestrian access that rail span provides, will cease until the new bridge is opened.

There will also be reduced vehicle access over the bridge as the approaches are altered and the "S" curve is removed. This construction will result in some disruption to the downtown business community.

As a comparison we have no idea what a planned light rail corridor down Douglas Street will add to the disruption of businesses.

On CFAX today Adam Stirling made some interesting comments on just that concern.

"Even though there was more than one way to enter the downtown core from Vic-west, we were told during the bridge debate that the loss of two lanes on the Johnson Street Bridge would force tens of thousands of displaced cars to try to fit over the Bay Street Bridge, resulting in traffic chaos."

and...

"Well, if the loss of those two lanes of traffic on the Blue Bridge was going to cost city businesses more than 13-million-dollars per year, what on earth will the loss of two lanes on Douglas street cost in terms of economic impact?"

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=16533

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

I tried accessing the CRD's traffic counts for Douglas Street but the reports are not loading in my browser.

Could someone else check the Douglas at Pandora traffic count?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

I tried accessing the CRD's traffic counts for Douglas Street but the reports are not loading in my browser.

Before you click the 'view report' button hold down your ctrl key and it should work for you

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

+/- 22k to 24k per day, both ways total.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, guys.

Therefore the traffic volume is almost equal to the vehicle traffic across the JSB.

Know it all.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

Thanks, guys.

Therefore the traffic volume is almost equal to the vehicle traffic across the JSB.

If you can believe that, the mayor has a bridge to sell you.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

I can hardly wait to hear the reaction from businesses once the city starts ripping up the roads to replace the aging sewer system. At 30 million dollars it is a drop in the toilet compared to replacing the Johnson Street Bridge, but the disruption to traffic could have a similar outcome to the foofaraw raised by the city over closing the bridge for one year, not to mention the disruption on Douglas Street to install whatever rapid this or that system transit decides on.

For Frank Stanfords comments,
http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=16810

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

CITY CONTRACT COMPLETE

Long-time TV reporter Howard Markson, hired by the City of Victoria as communications co-ordinator for the Johnson Street Bridge referendum, has completed his contract and is returning to consulting and freelance work. Markson is well known for his work on both CHEK and A Vancouver Island.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1B7Evt89g
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

The Ministry of Propaganda and Silly Talks has lost an asset?

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

TIME RUNNING OUT TO FINALIZE JOHNSON ST BRIDGE PLANS

Jan 18, 2011
ENGINEERS AT CITY HALL SAY THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE TO KNOW WITHIN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS WHETHER TO PLAN FOR A RAIL CROSSING AS PART OF THE NEW JOHNSON STREET BRIDGE OR NOT.

THE CRD RESOLVED BACK IN MID OCTOBER TO DECLARE THE BRIDGE THE SINGLE HIGHEST PRIORITY FOR ANY FEDERAL GAS TAX DOLLARS THAT WOULD FLOW TO THE REGION THIS YEAR...SO FAR, THERE'S BEEN NO ANSWER ON THE APPLICATION FROM THE ADMINISTRATORS OF THE FUND. SIMILARLY, THERE'S BEEN NO ANSWER FROM THE PROVINCE TO A FIVE MILLION DOLLAR REQUEST.

CITY OPERATIONS MANAGER PETER SPARANESE TOLD A COUNCIL BUDGET SESSION TODAY THAT THE END OF JANUARY IS A DROP-DEAD DATE. THE CITY IS GOING TO HAVE TO DECIDE WHETHER TO INCLUDE RAIL IN THE BRIDGE PLANS OR NOT.

COUNCIL GAVE APPROVAL IN PRINCIPLE TO A CAPITAL SPENDING PLAN THAT INCLUDES 77 MILLION DOLLARS FOR THE BRIDGE PROJECT...49.2 MILLION OF THAT WILL BE BORROWED, AS PER THE REFERENDUM APPROVAL BACK IN NOVEMBER.

- fms

http://www.cfax1070.com/newsstory.php?newsId=16968

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

While we wait for the new bridge, can we please raise the 30km/hr limit on the JSB? I was being tailgated by a cyclist today :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

It's fine at 30. Crossing the road on the downtown side of the bridge to get onto Wharf from the ped/rail crossing can get tricky if vehicles are driving over the limit. Besides, there's really no need to speed into that curve on the Vic West side or up to a red light at Johnson and Wharf.

Know it all.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

When I can't see the cyclist's front wheel or face because he is so close to me, the limit is too low ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

^Tap your brakes, you will see his face real quick.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

While we wait for the new bridge, can we please raise the 30km/hr limit on the JSB? I was being tailgated by a cyclist today :rolleyes:

They get into the slipstream all the time, and increasing the speed limit will not prevent that.

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

CITY CONTRACT COMPLETE

Long-time TV reporter Howard Markson, hired by the City of Victoria as communications co-ordinator for the Johnson Street Bridge referendum, has completed his contract and is returning to consulting and freelance work. Markson is well known for his work on both CHEK and A Vancouver Island.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1B7Evt89g

Howard is a stand-up guy who was handed one of the most difficult portfolios in the City's history.

Some of Victoria's hardest-hitting reporters have gone on to careers in public service, including Carolyn Heiman of the Times Colonist and Russ Francis of Monday Magazine.
  • Cityguy likes this

#18 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Howard is a stand-up guy who was handed one of the most difficult portfolios in the City's history.

Some of Victoria's hardest-hitting reporters have gone on to careers in public service, including Carolyn Heiman of the Times Colonist and Russ Francis of Monday Magazine.

Now that he's an expert on bridge project PR I am sure they'll have him back shortly for the Bay Street Bridge upgrade project.

As work begins on replacing the Johnson Street Bridge in coming months, life for cyclists on Victoria's other main bridge isn't going to get any easier.

The city has a $5-million plan to upgrade cycling and pedestrian routes on the Point Ellice Bridge (also known as the Bay Street Bridge) and even has $3 million tucked away in its capital plan.

But until funding is found from senior levels of government to make up the $2 million shortfall, the project cannot go ahead.

The intent is to put a proper sidewalk on both sides of the deck and to add a cycling lane on the south side, said Dwayne Kalynchuck, city director of engineering and public works.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1BsFxaOUQ

It's odd that John Luton didn't insist on seismic upgrades too.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

Moira McLean from CFAX, who was very good, is now a PR person for VIHA.

#20 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

I guess that after a while you figure out that you can make more money working for "the man" rather than trying to fight "him".

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users