VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:16 AM

Interest high in old site of wax museum

Bidders have six weeks to make play for CPR Steamship Terminal

By Carla Wilson, Times Colonist February 3, 2011 2:05 AM

http://www.timescolo...6302/story.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

Here's a radical, out-of-the-box idea: why don't we turn the old passenger ship terminal into a...passenger ship terminal?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

Seems like a crazy spot for something like that.

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

Here's a radical, out-of-the-box idea: why don't we turn the old passenger ship terminal into a...passenger ship terminal?

If you combined the Black Ball ticket office with the Maritime Museum, and staff it with Wax Museum figures, then eveybody wins. As a bonus, you could also run a tourist steam train back and forth to the Cruise ship Terminal.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

If you combined the Black Ball ticket office with the Maritime Museum, and staff it with Wax Museum figures, then eveybody wins. As a bonus, you could also run a tourist steam train back and forth to the Cruise ship Terminal.

Bingo, there is still time to submit your official proposal. :)
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

The Maritime Museum must not have as much usable floor space as I thought. I would have said it was bigger.

Of course, if it does move I think that the old courthouse and it's antique elevator would make an amazing site for the Children's Museum.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

Bingo, there is still time to submit your official proposal. :)

I'm having trouble finding a steam engine.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

I like the terminal idea wasn't the city looking to spend a whack of money on building one. It would be great if there was already a building that was owned by the public.

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

I like the terminal idea...it would be great if there was already a building that was owned by the public.

This idea is SO logical and SO obvious that it will NEVER be considered by the city. The PCC sees $$$$ when they look at this building and I guess a marine-passenger services building just isn't profitable enough. :mad:

#10 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

^ The problem is that there is not enough room at the old CPR terminal for a nice big lawn and trees with funny water features and kitschy statues.

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

It is exciting to see the beauty of the CPR Steamship building now that workers have exposed the elegant interior.

The Provincial Capital Commission is to be commended for refurbishing the historic building with a $3-million seismic upgrade, that will bring the building up to current earthquake standards. Steelwork will be added to support the interior, while 24 eight metre steel piles will be driven into the granite below the lower level.

http://www.timescolonist.com/travel/Photos+Stately+elegance+uncovered+Steamship+museum+building/4374803/story.html

As a comparison, the seismic upgrading and renovation of the historic *Johnson Street Bridge would have cost over $100-million if the costs had not been so inflated.

In this time of rising costs and other demands for infrastructure spending, it is time to revisit the original refurbishment option at an estimated cost of $25-30 million.

*Bonus: This is the same option that includes a RAIL SPAN.

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Three interested tenants want the CPR Steamship building.

I hope it isn't going to be a reincarnation of the failed BC Experience.

http://www.cfax1070....news&Itemid=155

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

I hope it isn't going to be a reincarnation of the failed BC Experience.

Victoria desperately needs a proper passenger facility for the Coho and the Victoria Clipper, why-oh-why is this not being considered? What sort of lame-ass idiots run the PCC anyway?

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

^I guess the ferry companies couldn't or wouldn't put a bid together. Shame.
TC:

Landeca CEO Michael Dingle said the company is working on behalf of a client and he is unable to offer any detail on who the client is or what they intend to do with the building.

"We are a land-use planning firm, we are in the business of helping our clients arrive at the highest and best use of property," said Dingle, who would offer no hint about the identity of his client.

Some letter writers to the Times Colonist have suggested the CPR building would be ideal for the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, and the gallery itself has said it would like a downtown location.

The Landeca website lists the gallery as one of its causes.

http://www.timescolo...5953/story.html

The Art Gallery would be pretty good. I think the Maritime Museum would be great in a custom built facility right on the water on the parking lots near the foot of Fort St.

Really, anything would be better than Bob's wacky TV sets and plastic tree exhibit. Go hide under your rock with Armstrong the Octopus.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#15 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

Turns out the proposal submitted by Landeca for the CPR Terminal is a public market, not a relocated art gallery:

http://www.timescolo...0917/story.html

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

^That's funny, I wondered if Matt McNeil was involved but I assumed it would be a pub, not a market. Although now that I think of it, both Pike Place Market and Granville Island have famous brew pubs so maybe that is his plan. Recall that Matt had wanted a east-coast themed pub at the old nightclub below Wharfside but that never happened so maybe this is his plan "B".

I think a brew pub is essential to subsidize a market because the rent there is very high and you can only sell so many candles and carrots year-round to make that rent.

If they plan on high volume market sales you need big loading zones and lots of parking. Who would the market serve? Thrifty is only a few blocks away. Why would people make an extra trip?

#17 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

^ I imagine it will be for tourist goo-gas, not food. I'm not a fan of the idea personally.

#18 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

^I guess the ferry companies couldn't or wouldn't put a bid together. Shame.

There is limited water access from the site and the US Ferries need controlled access into an indoor space. Creating this would mean a lot of interesting bridges or a cutting of the walking space along there.

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:18 AM

^That's funny, I wondered if Matt McNeil was involved but I assumed it would be a pub, not a market. Although now that I think of it, both Pike Place Market and Granville Island have famous brew pubs so maybe that is his plan. Recall that Matt had wanted a east-coast themed pub at the old nightclub below Wharfside but that never happened so maybe this is his plan "B".

I think a brew pub is essential to subsidize a market because the rent there is very high and you can only sell so many candles and carrots year-round to make that rent.

If they plan on high volume market sales you need big loading zones and lots of parking. Who would the market serve? Thrifty is only a few blocks away. Why would people make an extra trip?

Have to agree with you Rob. Pike's Place is the pitch, the pub is the reality. May be the best economic bid however as I suspect that the other two will have concessions requested.

#20 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

FWIW, the article specifically quoted MacNeil that a pub was not part of the mix.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users