Local Victoria social media

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Thought we might start a thread here, as it's a topic at least I am very interested in.

On the whole, I'd say Victoria retailers have been slow to jump in. I get the feeling too many business-owners have been too busy running their businesses to take the time to understand social media.

Hillside Mall joined Facebook just this week.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

Does anyone really make use of social media for retail shopping things?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

No. But you can use social media to talk directly to your customers, at zero cost except time.

Say you are having a month-long clearance sale. Take out 4x $280 Monday Magazine 3"x5" ads, that reach 40,000 randoms, or post the info to your Facebook page, where 2500 of your followers go all the time?

Lady Gaga has 30,000,000 Facebook fans. I'd bet if she posted on her wall "go out and do x", a huge proportion of her fans would.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

I don't know about retail shopping, but my 25-year-old daughter is not likely to eat anywhere that doesn't have at least a website, and she makes vigorous use of on-line reviews both as a reader and reviewer.

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

If you "Like" a business, you're privy to sales, competitions and promotions others can't access nearly as easily. There are a few retailers that I "Like" regarding work related supplies. In fact, just yesterday I saved hundreds of dollars on a case-lot sale of an item. I saved more than 60% it would have cost retail. I wouldn't have known about it without Facebook.

#6 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

I do make use of social media for restaurants, I use urbanspoon a lot

#7 my2cents

my2cents
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

I'm not keen on giving my email address to retailers, so the select few that I have given it to, send me email notifications about sales/special offers. And these actually get me back into their stores.

I would rather not give out my email address, but I'm just not on twitter or facebook frequently enough, to make sure I don't miss out.

It's a toughie for stores: Try and get people to give you their emails and hit them directly, or tweet/post up sales/specials and hope that they're seen. I guess if they have the time, they could do both.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

My FB page just hit 9000 fans (or will within an hour).

#4 in the city.

Here are some Victoria totals, not updated for a couple weeks, and only the top 50 or so up-to-date to then:

http://www.bit.ly/victoriafanpages

(Glad to see the .ly - Libya domain still working!)

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

We are having a summit for just the top 150 pages in three weeks time, it's just about sold out.

www.victoriafacebooksummit.com

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

Mrs. West is threatening to leave the I ❤ Downtown Victoria page, saying there's only so many times a day you can stand things like Stan Peterec's huge photo coming up again and again in the news feed.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Mrs. West is threatening to leave the I ❤ Downtown Victoria page, saying there's only so many times a day you can stand things like Stan Peterec's huge photo coming up again and again in the news feed.

He's the 4th-toughest man in the world, I can understand the fear.

Yes, it's not for everyone. Here's the funny thing about Facebook's "Edgerank" system. The more you like the page, click through and actually consume content, the more it will appear in your news feed. So those that get lots of views of it in their news feed are the persons most likely to interact with the page. If you are a "fan" and never go to the page, never click items in the newsfeed, you are likely to only see 5% or less of the things posted. Some posts get over 6,000 views, most about 3,700. The number depends on how much the post is interacted with within the first 10-15 minutes of the post. So if lots of people "like" or even better, share, or say "cool", that sets it up to go into more newsfeeds. It's quite fascinating really, the algorithm FB uses is very complex.

Lots of people leave the page every day. I think the record is 9 or 11 dislikes in one day. We certainly lose at least 250 fans a month. But every day about 35 new people join, so our growth continues. We moved into #3 in the city earlier this month, and by the end of September we will be in #2, behind only Tourism Victoria (and they have a staff of over 40 to help run their page). If Tourism Victoria does not run another big contest on their page this fall, we'll overtake them before the end of the year. We are also 90% local fans, T.V. is understandably less than 30% local, as their contests and stuff are marketed to out-of-towners. About 40% of their fans are WA residents.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

What is number 2 right now?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

What is number 2 right now?

Victoria Hyundai

List: www.bit.ly/victoriafanpages

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

^Wow - the worst car dealership in town has the most fans.

What the heck is it offering them?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

I like the new social integration on here!

It has a whole new look!

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

October 11, 2011:

My FB page just hit 9000 fans (or will within an hour).

#4 in the city.

Huh, a year later and #3 in the city, we broke 16,000 fans last week. We will be #2 by the end of this month, and probably #1 by the end of the year.

Summit is on Thursday, still a few spaces left if anyone wants to come by, you do need to register first.

www.victoriafacebooksummit.com

#17 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

Maybe relevant to this topic. There's some drama today on the Lyle's Place facebook page. I heard about it on Reddit.

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Can't go on there any more what happened? I read the story about the curiousity shop on Reddit.

It has a whole new look!

#19 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

hah.. thats an amusing read.. heres cavity's facebook page: CAVITY Curiosity Shop - Victoria, BC - Shopping/Retail | Facebook

I have nothing invested in either business.. but from a PR standpoint, Lyles seems to have stuffed their head firmly in their rear..

.. oh and lyles has deleted their facebook page.

cakes..

#20 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

hah.. thats an amusing read.. heres cavity's facebook page: CAVITY Curiosity Shop - Victoria, BC - Shopping/Retail | Facebook

I have nothing invested in either business.. but from a PR standpoint, Lyles seems to have stuffed their head firmly in their rear..

.. oh and lyles has deleted their facebook page.

cakes..

Lyle's Place FB page still up for me (my link above was broken)

They seem to have deleted a whole bunch of comments and locked down the page for further posts.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users