Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ) runway extension project

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Nizx

Nizx
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

Should anyone be curious, there appears to be some activity towards the end of runway 09; the West side of the airport by West Saanich Road. It looks like either a large berm is being built, or perhaps, the start of building up the land in preparation for the future runway expansion.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up, and welcome to VV, Nizx!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

Should anyone be curious, there appears to be some activity towards the end of runway 09; the West side of the airport by West Saanich Road. It looks like either a large berm is being built, or perhaps, the start of building up the land in preparation for the future runway expansion.

I saw that when I was driving by there yesterday morning. I wanted to stop but I was short on time. If the earth that has been moved is to part of the runway, the runway will be very close to the road on the western end

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

I was by there yesterday and stopped to take a couple of photos of the mound (I'll have to post them later). One would think that any major dirt digging would be tied in some way to the runway extension, but then again it might be something completely unrelated.

Anyhow, at the western end the runway will extend roughly half-way between the current tip of the runway and West Saanich Rd, so much closer to the road than it is now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

This what Mike and Nizx are refering to.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

Thanks, Sparky, you saved from downloading the photos from my phone :)

Know it all.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

^ No problem Mike. With my iphone 4 I use "dropbox" cloud storage. Simply upload your photos to dropbox when you are in a wifi area. Then you can access your dropbox from any computer and voila there are your pictures. Takes less than 10 seconds to upload a pic. Free app. Free 2 gig storage.

If it ain't for free........it ain't for me.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

Downloading it as I write this :D Thanks!

This is the second cool app in as many days I've come across. Just as an aside, download Viber, it's a free app (free to download/use) that allows you to call or text any iPhone anywhere in the world by dialing that iPhone's number (provided the receiver has Viber too). Very cool and simpler to use than Skype.

Know it all.

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

That's all pre-load for the extension.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

But has the extension been approved? I have seen nothing in the media about it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for the info, LJ. Considering dirt is on the move the extension is likely a go.

Know it all.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:51 AM

I am not so sure this is for runway extension. When you come down Mill Road this is really just a small pile of dirt right at the road and not really very close to the runway.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

I am not so sure this is for runway extension...

My thoughts exactly when I saw this a few weeks back.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

You call that a small pile of dirt? ;)

Hypothetically speaking, if it is for the runway, it wouldn't be stored immediately adjacent to the runway for a number of reasons.

Know it all.

#15 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

There are three possibilities I can think of:

1. New taxiway exit from runway 09 to taxiway S.
2. Extension of approach lighting on runway 27 by 320 m (1,050 ft).
3. Full parallel taxiway E to runway 09/27.

All of these are targets in the 1-5 year plan.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:25 AM

Could be any of those three, for sure.

But I wonder whether the VAA would go ahead with a taxiway and approach light extension on the eve of a runway extension yay or nay?

Know it all.

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

You call that a small pile of dirt? ;)

Hypothetically speaking, if it is for the runway, it wouldn't be stored immediately adjacent to the runway for a number of reasons.

Preload is not stored, it is working to compact the land where the new runway portion/taxiway/whatever is to be built. It will be removed prior to any construction. The preload for the new runway at YVR sat in place for over 18 months prior to the start of any construction.

There is no problem having the material in place adjacent to the runway, they can just displace the runway end as required or shut down certain instrument approaches that might conflict with the clearway.

#18 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

Preload is not stored, it is working to compact the land where the new runway portion/taxiway/whatever is to be built. It will be removed prior to any construction. The preload for the new runway at YVR sat in place for over 18 months prior to the start of any construction.

There is no problem having the material in place adjacent to the runway, they can just displace the runway end as required or shut down certain instrument approaches that might conflict with the clearway.

Technically it's the surcharge that is typically removed after the preloading period. The preload typically includes the entire loading i.e. surcharge, and anything being left over as embankment. In many cases you can leave the entire preload in place as permanent embankment once the preloading period is done, without any surcharge to remove. In rare cases you may remove the entire preload and replace with other embankment materials, this usually doesn't happen as much as it's quite costly to double haul materials. Not sure how this was designed, but it definitely looks like preload of some sort, though it's hard to tell from the picture if any settlement gauges or other preloading instrumentation is installed.

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

Technically it's the surcharge that is typically removed after the preloading period. The preload typically includes the entire loading i.e. surcharge, and anything being left over as embankment. In many cases you can leave the entire preload in place as permanent embankment once the preloading period is done, without any surcharge to remove. In rare cases you may remove the entire preload and replace with other embankment materials, this usually doesn't happen as much as it's quite costly to double haul materials. Not sure how this was designed, but it definitely looks like preload of some sort, though it's hard to tell from the picture if any settlement gauges or other preloading instrumentation is installed.

There will be no embankments left over, it will be hauled away. It may be used as road base or some other use but it will not be used in position.

#20 Nizx

Nizx
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

Was near the airport and so took some pictures of the work at the end of runway 09. I think they are now starting to fill in the space behind the initial berm near West Saanich road. Still, there is a tremendous amount of space between the threshold of the runway, and where the work is currently being done. If they are in fact building the area up, they have many more dump truck loads to go.

From atop IOS berm - 1
From atop IOS berm - 2
From atop IOS berm - 3
From atop IOS berm - 4
From atop IOS berm - 5
From atop IOS berm - 6
From Mills road - 1
From Mills road - 2

Interesting note, I believe that device in the IOS - 3 picture is a device that measures radiation levels. I recall seeing a picture of it in the newspaper advertised as such.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users