Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Falls condo | 54m | 18- & 13-storeys | Built - completed in Aug 2009

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1066 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:10 AM

thefalls0vl.jpg

The Falls condo project hits market

Malcolm Curtis, Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Vancouver-based Westbank Projects has begun marketing units in The Falls, following Victoria council's approval of the downtown luxury condo development.

Council voted 6-2 last week to rezone a parking lot at 813-843 Douglas St. for the 197,000-square-foot building, including 13,000 square feet of ground floor retail space.

Condo prices start in the $400,000s and penthouse suites will sell in the $2-million range in the planned 152-unit complex, incorporating 18- and 13-storey towers.

Bob Pearce, Westbank's project manager, said the company will be opening up a marketing centre at 645 Tyee Rd. in the next few weeks.

[...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

Good old MC had to mention the famous VCE duo but at least he added a counter point by Westbank.

Can't wait to see the project finished, what a difference it is going to make to the area. Any word on when the parking lot closes?
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

If you want to spend some sentimental last moments with the heritage bomb crater parking lot, do it in the next two weeks.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

Somebody please take a bunch of pictures of the current site. In a few years people will be waxing nostalgic (and fantastic) about how wonderful it was before the new condo building came along, so it'd be nice to have photographic proof that it was actually a horror show.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

The current parking lot is very remininscent of some of the parking lots on the razed foundations of detroyed buildings still remaining in some parts of East Berlin. Perhaps we should preserve it and turn it into a Communist theme park?

Sounds more interesting than a giant map of B.C.! :D
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#6 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

They had the lot closed today and had a boom lift with someone way up in the sky snaping photos from what must be is going to be the top floor. It was pretty cool! I can't wait to the photos on their website. They were also working on the signs.

#7 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

That's cool. It's too bad he didn't bungee jump off the crane!!!

Hey The most frustrating thing I have to say regarding this, was at the proposal's public hearing.

When Sonya Chandler Voted no for a fourth & now 5 time on City desification.

Her reason....."I just wish this was a Platinum leed buiding" and it was not what she wanted to see downtown. I guess if that parking lot could stay there another 40 years it would be better. Anyways back to Sonya's comment.

WestBank was acheiving Silver.

If they wanted to achieve Platinum they would have to make sure that no new home owner would smoke a single cigerette in their new home!

WestBank would have to have some major incentives such as on site sewage treatment plants etc.

Unless Sonya starts holding true to her green policies, she should be voted out. The latest project she has voted no on is the Well.

#8 Carewser

Carewser
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:11 AM

^Sonya Chandler sounds like a real perfectionist. If t ain't LEED platinum (ie:perfect), **** it! How many buildings downtown are even LEED rated though? I'd be surprised if any buildings even rated LEED Silver.

There is little question in my mind that we made a difference seeing this thing to fruition. The public support at the Falls public hearing sure didn't hurt either. I thought it got shrunk down from 18 stories to 17, so to see it at it's original height is really encouraging.

It's encouraging to read that, "Bob Pearce, Westbank's project manager, said the company will be opening up a marketing centre at 645 Tyee Rd. in the next few weeks." Tyee Rd.? In other words, even though the project is RIGHT downtown, they couldn't find a location anywhere downtown to market this thing, because marketing this thing in Vic West makes NO sense (only losers live there!). That's actually a good sign because it means that downtown real estate is VERY tight.

#9 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:37 AM

that's where the sales office for Shutters is

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:10 PM

Westank has a longterm lease on their space at Upper Harbour Place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

The Falls website is now live at http://www.thefallsvictoria.com .

This might just be the first development in the downtown area offering 3-bedroom condos!

Know it all.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:39 PM

The Falls Parking lot is.......

NO LONGER A PARKING LOT.

Lot was closed today when I walked by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#13 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

AWESOME!!! I'm going to have to do down there and take a look. I haven't been downtown in like a week.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

^^yes I saw that!

The ball has started rolling...

Know it all.

#15 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:51 AM

Site trailers are now on site. I am not sure where they will be putting them as the whole lot willl be excavated.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:54 AM

Maybe mounted above the sidewalk like at Songhees.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

Taken today:
[url=http://imageshack.us:5559c][/url:5559c]

#18 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:30 PM

That's one nasty parking lot!!!

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

Good riddance!

#20 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:19 PM

I saw them throwing a tarp over the portable closest to Douglas St. (on the right in the picture). I guess the roof leaks.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users