• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

I was a little concerned when the Blockbuster on Hillside closed, but I was relieved when the one near me stayed open. Rogers at Cedar Hill/Shelbourne was closed a long time ago.

So if BB closes up the rest of their shops, that leaves us with what, a couple of Rogers stores to get new releases at? Anywhere else?

Blockbuster, that giant of the once sprawling Canadian video store landscape, has gone bust.

An Ontario court placed Blockbuster Canada's operations into receivership Wednesday after it missed payments on its debt to the movie studios that supplied the company.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ean-to-you.html

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

Between Shaw on Demand, and Netflix, I haven't stepped foot into an actual video store in years. Sure it's tough to get the just released on DVD, but I can wait for them to come out using any of the services above.

I certainly don't miss having to return the videos to the store the next day. That was always a pain in the butt.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

People actually use Shaw on Demand?

There's also a lack of quality to the Neflix videos, even their HD offerings. I can't think of any on-demand video services that offer blu-ray quality movies.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

Lets not forget the effect of P2P filesharing! A lot of people never went back to BB after getting involved with it.(so I hear ;) )

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

Ok, which one of you mods has no sense of humor tonight? :mad:

#6 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

So if BB closes up the rest of their shops, that leaves us with what, a couple of Rogers stores to get new releases at? Anywhere else?

Hollywood Video downtown is quite good, as is Pic a Flic.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

Lets not forget the effect of P2P filesharing! A lot of people never went back to BB after getting involved with it.(so I hear ;) )

Pirate Bay will let you download any movie (that is out on DVD) in avi...then use Sothink video converter...convert it to MP4...then move it onto a thumb drive and plug it into your blue ray player with a USB port and watch it on your TV. or your iphone.....so I hear :)

#8 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

Pirate Bay will let you download any movie (that is out on DVD) in avi...then use Sothink video converter....change it to MP4......then move it onto a thumb drive and plug it into your blue ray player with a USB port and watch it on your TV....or your iphone.....so I hear :)

Or just stream it right from your computer to your PS3, X-box, or WD box, or so I am told.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

Or just stream it right from your computer to your PS3, X-box, or WD box, or so I am told.

:)

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

I must be the only twenty-something that still goes to the movie store.

#11 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:59 PM

IMHO the studios and distributors killed the retail outlets by flooding the shelves with crud. A medium is only as good as its content. (How many times do you walk out of a theatre feeling you got your money's worth?) I still spend several bucks each year for myself and others, but the only reliable sources are online.

I don't like Netflix because I refuse to pay more than once for something. If they want me, they'd better find a way to satisfy my requirements - and their stable cash flow is NOT my priority.

#12 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

"I don't like Netflix because I refuse to pay more than once for something."

I don't understand what you are saying. Are you implying that you don't pay for internet, television, phone(s) etc because it is a re-occuring cost?

Netflix might not have the most current movies nor all of them, but for $7.95/mth you cannot beat that. If I'm bored there are quite a few excellent movies out there, especially ones most people would look over because it is an overseas production with no-name actors.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

^ I agree. Cancelled my cable partly because of Netflix.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

I didn't cancel my cable but I did cancl the movie channels I used to get. Shaw charged $25 bucks a month for the premium movie channels and right there I am saving $17 and have a far larger selection.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#15 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:02 AM

I find Netflix has a good and intuitive rating system for me and my likes. I've found many movies to watch that I've never heard of and really enjoyed them because of this system.

#16 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

I don't like Netflix because I refuse to pay more than once for something. If they want me, they'd better find a way to satisfy my requirements - and their stable cash flow is NOT my priority.

??? Netflix is great value.

I don't get your 'pay more than once' objection. I doubt you already own all the movies available on Netflix. You'll find plenty of stuff you haven't 'already payed for.'

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

Those that don't get the value of Netflix haven't tried it.

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

Those that don't get the value of Netflix haven't tried it.

I see the value, I just didn't like the quality.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

The quality seems to be very high for the majority of movies I've seen. A few have been sub-par but they were old movies to begin with, so no biggie there.

My only gripe with Netflix is that movies can be deactivated for Canadians!!! The other day I searched up The Warriors and, to my astonishment, it was no longer available! A couple of weeks prior it was part of my lineup and I sat through the whole thing (it's one of my favourite movies, btw).

If Netflix continues to remove movies I may reconsider my subscription. That just ain't cool.

Oh, and it would be nice to have a "watch later" feature where you can select movies you'd like to see eventually. I pass up far too many cool movies while searching for something else, then I can't remember the titles to watch them later.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

A "Favorites" list would be a handy feature.

I only watched a few movies on Netflix when I had my trial subscription and they were all in 2ch stereo :( Picture quality was pretty decent.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users