- - - - -

Rogers Video Langford

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

Looks like this location is closing for good. Starting the week of Aug 8 they'll be having a big blow out sale to clear out the merchandise. Somewhere along the lines of buy one get two free.

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

I just hope the Oak Bay Blockbuster stays open...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

Methinks the days of the video store are numbered.

Video on demand, downloading, Netfilx, Telus and Bell Satellite have overpowered the DVD rental market.

Times they are a changin.

http://business.fina...ally-gone-bust/

#4 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Glad I didnt upgrade to blu-ray!!!

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

http://www.engadget....nk-composite-c/

1/4 of all Netflix users are using the Nintendo Wii game console to stream movies on. What does this mean you ask? No HD movies.

None of these streaming services offer you a full HD blu-ray quality experience. For that you're left renting from the video store.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

It's attitudes like that that are killing off the video stores :(

It takes a lot of bandwidth to stream a 1080p movie with a 7.1 DTS HD MA soundtrack - that's why nobody is doing it.

#7 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:43 AM

It's attitudes like that that are killing off the video stores :(

It takes a lot of bandwidth to stream a 1080p movie with a 7.1 DTS HD MA soundtrack - that's why nobody is doing it.

Its not an attitude but an opinion!:cool:

I have the big screen tvs, Shaw HD PVR's etc and just normal dvd players. I've watched a lot of programming in HD and yes its good, especially sports but I've never subscribed to the hype of blu-ray or 3D.

Somehow, I dont think that because I dont have a blu ray player that this is the reason why video stores are dying off, I think it is solely the cause of convenience, why go to the store and pay their high prices and have to comply with the resultant late fees etc when you can order it on your pvr for the same price or less.....thats whats killing the video stores.

And next in line will be Shaw and Rogers if they dont get their act together with the CRTC to come up with a plan to work with companies such as Netflix (I dont subscribe to them either) as our virtual border does not offer protection for homegrown providers anymore.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

I personally dislike blu-ray style of HD. It's far too crisp for my liking and makes movies look like those daytime soap operas.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:47 AM

The only reason I ever rent anything is in en emergency social situation where we have some friends over unplanned and want to watch a movie and don't have time to download something first. I feel bad for video stores but they're so expensive and dealing with returns, late fees, and bad discs is a pain.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:41 AM

I personally dislike blu-ray style of HD. It's far too crisp for my liking and makes movies look like those daytime soap operas.

I think it depends on how the movie is recorded too. I've watched blu-ray movies where the film grain is visible.

Sound quality is much better than what is available from a DVD or online rental too.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Its not an attitude but an opinion!:cool:

I have the big screen tvs, Shaw HD PVR's etc and just normal dvd players. I've watched a lot of programming in HD and yes its good, especially sports but I've never subscribed to the hype of blu-ray or 3D.

I agree that 3D is a bit over-hyped, but blu-ray? No way.

I don't know why someone would buy a 1080p plasma/LCD TV only to feed it 480p/720p/1080i source material. Or buy a surround sound system and feed it two channel stereo. Or buy good speakers and feed them compressed audio. :confused:

I know, I'm a snob :P

#12 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

Looks like this location is closing for good. Starting the week of Aug 8 they'll be having a big blow out sale to clear out the merchandise. Somewhere along the lines of buy one get two free.

That location just got a renovation last year, didn't it? Added on a game-specific section of the store and put in a cell phone area, I think. But you know, with a Rogers dealer right across the parking lot in the mall, Rogers Wireless products available in Best Buy, and the current state of video stores, this doesn't surprise me.

#13 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

http://www.engadget....nk-composite-c/

1/4 of all Netflix users are using the Nintendo Wii game console to stream movies on. What does this mean you ask? No HD movies.

None of these streaming services offer you a full HD blu-ray quality experience. For that you're left renting from the video store.

Or you could use newsgroups and get blu rays in an hour.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

One, I don't like pirating and two, it takes less than half that time to pop down to Blockbuster and pick up a new release. :)

#15 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Could you give me a link to a newsgroup where I can download blu rays?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

I look at it this way. I bought a PS3 for a couple hundred dollars. Got a blu-ray player, gaming console and the ability to stream NetFlix.

Totally worth the cost IMO.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

I use http://thepiratebay.org/

I also use "sothink" video converter to convert avi's to MP4 which is what my blu ray player and phone uses.

I usually download videos that are in the 600-800 mb range for convenience, speed etc, but you can get high def and blue ray that are up to the 2 gig size.

Be careful to pick the right video (handy if you don't speak Spanish or Dutch) and look for ones that have more seeders than leachers.

It won't take you long to get the hang of it.

#18 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

NZBmatrix is a site with NZB's (directing your downloading client to usenet ng's) for all kinds of content including HD content. Problem is bluerays are 4-15 gigs each so you'll be hitting your bandwith limit pretty quick.

And yes, usenet is much faster than P2P downloading.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

^That seems a lot like work to me. I watch movies to avoid just that.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

I use http://thepiratebay.org/

I also use "sothink" video converter to convert avi's to MP4 which is what my blu ray player and phone uses.

I usually download videos that are in the 600-800 mb range for convenience, speed etc, but you can get high def and blue ray that are up to the 2 gig size.

Be careful to pick the right video (handy if you don't speak Spanish or Dutch) and look for ones that have more seeders than leachers.

It won't take you long to get the hang of it.

I have never used pirate bay before but I have used vuze and kickass torrents before, but this newsgroup thing I have never tried. I will give it a whirl and see what happens.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users