Ben Isitt | Victoria Council

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

Ben Isitt, a City of Victoria resident, is seeking election to Victoria council in 2011.

Born in Winnipeg, I have lived in Victoria for the past two decades.

Professionally, I have a background in politics, law, journalism and history. I hold a PhD and an LLB and have written two books on BC politics and Canadian history, From Victoria to Vladivostok and Militant Minority. I have taught as a professor at UVic and UBC and completed research for private firms, the BC Ministry of Advanced Education, and non-profit organizations including the BC Centre for Co-operative and Community-Based Economy and West Coast Environmental Law. I have also worked as a Housing Support Worker with the Victoria Cool Aid Society, gaining valuable hands-on experience providing housing and support for people in need. I have travelled to more than 50 countries for work and recreation and shared research at international conferences in North America, Europe and Asia. - http://isitt.ca/vote/

Political affiliations: not available
Campaign website: http://isitt.ca/vote/
Resident of: City of Victoria

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

Ben Isitt, a City of Victoria resident, is seeking election to Victoria council in 2011.

Political affiliations: not available
Campaign website: http://isitt.ca/vote/
Resident of: City of Victoria

One of Ben's cronies rang our bell and knocked on our door last night (God knows why you do both, when the bell is quite audible), despite a very obvious "No Solicitors, Peddlers or Agents" sign affixed to our front door. Mrs. Fugger answered the door and I was in the living room. As he started into his speil, Mrs. Fugger stopped him from continuing by stating, "Thank you, I am aware of Ben Isitt. Goodbye." The individual continued and being in the background, I thought I would have some fun and bellowed from our living room, "Ain't no one in this house voting for no God-damned Ben Isitt!" Mrs. Fugger then tried closing the door and the individual tried to hand her some literature. She told him to read the door and that she didn't want it and not to leave it.

About five minutes later, our lovely new puppy pranced into the room with a Ben Isitt leaflet that the individual in question must have stealthily slipped through the mail slot. I took pleasure in wathcing my puppy rip it to shreds in her mouth. Though, not as much pleasure as I will have in lodging a complaint with the Chief Returning Officer about the behaviour of the Isitt campaign.

#3 isitt

isitt
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:45 AM

I am proud of my volunteers. We have assembled a strong team that is joining me in canvassing the city every evening introducing the campaign and listening to voters. Victorians can expect to see us in their neighbourhoods in the next few weeks. We look forward to talking to as many Victorians as possible.

Courtesy, professionalism, and kindness are values I emphasize when orienting all new volunteers. I will reiterate these values and the need for respectful dialogue in light of Mr. Fugger's comments (values that I would hope we all apply in our own involvement in civic affairs). While we may differ in our views, certainly we can agree to treat one another with dignity and respect.

All the best,

Ben Isitt

Ben Isitt for City Council and CRD Director
Email. Ben@Isitt.ca | Tel. 250.882.9302
Web. www.Isitt.ca/vote

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:20 AM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Ben.

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

I am proud of my volunteers. We have assembled a strong team that is joining me in canvassing the city every evening introducing the campaign and listening to voters. Victorians can expect to see us in their neighbourhoods in the next few weeks. We look forward to talking to as many Victorians as possible.

Courtesy, professionalism, and kindness are values I emphasize when orienting all new volunteers. I will reiterate these values and the need for respectful dialogue in light of Mr. Fugger's comments (values that I would hope we all apply in our own involvement in civic affairs). While we may differ in our views, certainly we can agree to treat one another with dignity and respect.

All the best,

Ben Isitt

Web. www.Isitt.ca/vote

I suppose that's kind of an apology? Sort of?

#6 J Douglas

J Douglas
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:57 PM

Ben- How do you feel about transportation issues in Victoria, including the proposals for projects such as LRT, the utilization of the E&N right of way, and highway upgrades?

#7 isitt

isitt
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

Hi J. Douglas:

Thanks for your question. I support commuter rail between downtown Victoria and the Western Communities (and eventually Cobble Hill/Duncan). I think the best location for resuming rail operations quickly is to use the existing E & N corridor, which would help to contain costs while avoiding the issue of cars vs trains (as is the case with the proposal for LRT along Douglas and the Trans-Canadian Highway).

I think the new Johnson Street Bridge must be commuter-rail capable, ideally with a fixed rail link upon completion, but certainly structurally capable of accommodating track and passenger trains.

Beyond the issue of mass transit for the CRD, I support the resumption of passenger and freight rail service on Vancouver Island by restoring the E & N line along its length as well as the subsidiary line to the deep-water port at Port Alberni -- an under-utilized export portal for island producers.

Ben Isitt

Web. www.BenIsitt.ca

#8 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

One of Ben's cronies rang our bell and knocked on our door last night (God knows why you do both, when the bell is quite audible), despite a very obvious "No Solicitors, Peddlers or Agents" sign affixed to our front door. Mrs. Fugger answered the door and I was in the living room. As he started into his speil, Mrs. Fugger stopped him from continuing by stating, "Thank you, I am aware of Ben Isitt. Goodbye." The individual continued and being in the background, I thought I would have some fun and bellowed from our living room, "Ain't no one in this house voting for no God-damned Ben Isitt!" Mrs. Fugger then tried closing the door and the individual tried to hand her some literature. She told him to read the door and that she didn't want it and not to leave it.

About five minutes later, our lovely new puppy pranced into the room with a Ben Isitt leaflet that the individual in question must have stealthily slipped through the mail slot. I took pleasure in wathcing my puppy rip it to shreds in her mouth. Though, not as much pleasure as I will have in lodging a complaint with the Chief Returning Officer about the behaviour of the Isitt campaign.

So Bob, are you going to vote for him or not? :D

I suppose that's kind of an apology? Sort of?

That didn't look like any kind of an apology i've ever read. Apologies usually include words like, "i'm sorry", "I was mistaken", "I screwed up", or "my apologies". This was just vacuous political rhetoric.
In chains by Keynes

#9 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

That didn't look like any kind of an apology i've ever read. Apologies usually include words like, "i'm sorry", "I was mistaken", "I screwed up", or "my apologies". This was just vacuous political rhetoric.

Well, he certainly knows how to talk like a politician. Took a couple of hundred words to say absolutely sweet eff eh. There's enough crap being spewed out of City Hall as it is, so my vote is definitely going elsewhere.

#10 aaroninvictoria

aaroninvictoria
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

Well, he certainly knows how to talk like a politician. Took a couple of hundred words to say absolutely sweet eff eh. There's enough crap being spewed out of City Hall as it is, so my vote is definitely going elsewhere.

Tough crowd ;)

Ah man, we had our first fundraiser tonight, I did some door knocking with a friend of mine first, we had a bunch of positive convos... I love door knocking, always fun.

I am not convinced that facilitating regional transit is a priority for the City of Victoria... I am way more concerned about the Crystal Pool and the condition of our sewers/storm drains...
@aaroninvictoria aka @aaronhallcooks

#11 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Ben's lawn signs don't even make sense; "Putting people and the environment first". How can two things that are at odds with each other be your first priority?
In chains by Keynes

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

That's a good point, Phil. To truly put the environment first, you'd have to put people last. Indeed, you'd best get rid of all the people.

#13 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

Just received from Ben Isitt, in my email's inbox:

Dear friend,
We are now in the home stretch, working flat out this final week to win this election. If elected to City Council and the CRD Board, I will make it a priority to implement policies aimed at narrowing the gap between rich and poor, fighting for workers' rights and against privatization, advocating for housing and harm-reduction services for people in need, and holding the line on obnoxious developments in our neighbourhoods and urban sprawl in our region's farms and forest lands.

Sorry, Ben, you lost my vote. These positions are already well represented at council. (Too well, some might say.) Victoria needs someone who will focus on what's happening at City Hall, first and foremost.

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

Point me out to these obnoxious developments.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

Obnoxious developments?

Ben, it's the lack of housing that drives up the cost of housing. Some refer to it as supply and demand.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

Lol @ Mike

Ben Isitt won't be getting my vote.

This will be the first municipal election I ever vote in, and frankly I'm becoming concerned about whether or not I'll be able to find 8 council candidates to support.

#17 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

Put an experienced business man on city council. Robin Kimpton will do what he says. Starting with a well managed city hall.

#18 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:34 AM

Lol @ Mike

This will be the first municipal election I ever vote in, and frankly I'm becoming concerned about whether or not I'll be able to find 8 council candidates to support.

I can't come up with 8. I will only vote for those truly worthy of my vote.

#19 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

Lol @ Mike

I've had that problem for as far back as i can remember. It must be the party system at the federal and provincial level that (generally) keeps the wingnuts out, but at the municipal level they are allowed to run free, although I don't really think Ben Isitt falls into that category, he's just not very bright. You don't have to vote for all eight anyway, it's just that eight is the maximum number you can vote for. On that note does anyone know what happens if you vote for 9 or more candidates? Does your ballot then become spoiled?
In chains by Keynes

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

You ballot is spoiled if you vote for 9 council candidates.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users