Photo

How the local governments are organized

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

Can someone explain to me how the local governments are organized around here? Maybe also explain the brief history behind them?

I ask this as I was talking to a CRD worker and asked a question along the lines of who funds and governs them. The workers response was that the order of governance was something along the lines of Federal, CRD then municipal - the CRD governed the GVA municipal governments. I was originally under the impression that the CRD was formed by members of the more than plentiful municipals to provide a forum for everyone to work together.

I left the conversation surprised, again, by the amount of bureaucracy that is Victoria and maybe even BC. So, I would be appreciative if someone is able to provide some clarification in the information I was given and who formed what and why.

Thanks.

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

There are three levels of government, two of them constitutionally mandated, the Feds and the province.

Local government is all a creature of the provincial government and has to abide by the rules set for them by the province.

Regional Districts have very limited powers over lands within municipal boundaries but act as the local government for unincorporated areas if they have chosen to take up that power from the Ministry of Transportation. RDs came into existence in 1969 (not 100% certain of the date, but around that year).

Regional Districts have also became a way for a set of municipalities to cooperate on issues. The CRD looks after some water and sewer systems, but not all of them. They take on some recreation, but not most of it. They have parks, and I still have no idea why they ever got into that when the municipal governments and province are better suited to operate them.

Frankly I see regional districts in BC as a level of government that is looking for something to do because they do not have enough to keep them busy.

Regional districts are also not elected by the public expect in the unincorporated areas. You can not run to be elected to the CRD if you live in say Saanich or Victoria.

#3 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

Thanks Bernard. I appreciate your explanation. How do representatives of the CRD gain their positions if they are not elected by the public?

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

Thanks Bernard. I appreciate your explanation. How do representatives of the CRD gain their positions if they are not elected by the public?

In most cases it is the mayor that goes to the CRD, but for Victoria and Saanich the reps are appointed by the council.

We elect to be mayors of our communities, we do not elect them to be on the CRD. The mandate a mayor gets locally is at odds with the needs of a representative to the CRD.

Victoria and Saanich do poll who the public thinks should be the rep, but if the person does not get elected to council, they will not be appointed.

The CRD directors should all be directly elected by the public and not have to be a sitting councilor.

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 04:59 PM

Village of Zeballos hires new chief administrative officer

https://www.cheknews...fficer-1068947/

Zeballis has 107 residents. Why do they have any costly government to speak of?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2022 - 05:00 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#6 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 05:01 PM

They are probably responsible for the region of Greater Zeballos as well.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#7 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:09 PM

We are in the midst of an election here, to elect four members to the “local community commission” and today I went in to do an advance poll.

Bit of a strange setup, not like I’ve seen before. Show the ID, name crossed off the provincial voters list like usual, get your ballot and go behind the cardboard screen. Once finished filling in the little bubbles with a sharpie, you go and put your ballot in the machine, face up face down it doesn’t matter. Meanwhile, anyone can see your vote from either side of the paper. I expected pencil and a fold over for the ballot, instead of waving this well marked sheet of paper around while you wait.

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:12 PM

Especially if you voted for all the alt right candidates.

#9 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:45 PM

Yes, or the alt left ones!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users