Nicola Wade | Saanich Council

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Nicola Wade was on council for a number of terms but stepped down.

I expect her to run to become mayor in the future

Political affiliation:
Resident of: Saanich

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

Nicola Wade is endorsed by outgoing councilor Wayne Hunter

August 16 2011

A former Central Saanich Mayor, and more recently Councillor in Saanich, Wayne Hunter, is running for School Board this fall.
Hunter says he's spent 15 years in municipal politics...and it's time to shift his focus to education...

"And, I believe in the Saanich district they're working through some struggles with regards to declining enrollment, and new directions and decisions in governance, and I believe I can bring some leadership and some knowledge and skills that district"

Hunter is a retired schools administrator; and is married to a Principal in the Victoria School system.

He has endorsed Nicola Wade's run for Council, in an attempt to fill the vacancy that his departure will create.

Frank Stanford

#3 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Nicola Wade is endorsed by outgoing councilor Wayne Hunter

Someone I know very well worked for Nicola in the provincial public service. Narcissistic wingnut doesn't even come close to describing the nuttiness of Ms. Wade's management and personal style.

#4 Model80

Model80
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:45 AM

Ms. Wade's nomination papers suggest her role as a Councillor is to be puppet. The papers have been signed by Frank Leonard, Paul Gerrard and Susan Brice.

http://www.saanich.c...Papers 2011.pdf

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

Ms. Wade's nomination papers suggest her role as a Councillor is to be puppet. The papers have been signed by Frank Leonard, Paul Gerrard and Susan Brice.

http://www.saanich.c...Papers 2011.pdf

That sounds about right: toadying up to the power brokers while having nothing but contempt for her underlings and staff.

Edited by G-Man

#6 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

^ Bob, a question. Is there any candidate, in any municipality, that you don't dislike?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

^ Bob, a question. Is there any candidate, in any municipality, that you don't dislike?

Plenty. I like Paul Brown and the Open Victoria slate in Victoria, I like Vic Derman and Frank Leonard in Saanich...what's your point?

I've taken issue with exactly four candidates out of dozens: Sue Woods, Dean Fortin, Robin Kimpton and Lynne Hunter. Oh, and I stated my opinion that Chris Coleman is a political coward. I have nothing personal against any of these candidates - I have issues with their candidacies and their suitability as public representatives.

However, I will be the first to admit when I have a personal axe to grind with someone - and I definitely have one to grind with Wade. Notwithstanding what was edited out of my previous post - all of which was true, by the way - I think it would be a giant disservice for Saanich citizens to be represented by a duplicitous, self-serving egomaniac who harangues her staff and wastes public resources. This is based on personal knowledge and experience of this.

If you don't believe me, feel free to FOI her public service employment file.

#8 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

^I didn't say anything about believing you, it is just that I had never seen a positive word from you on any candidate and I wondered if, as I asked, was there any you liked.

Oops, I see you just changed your signature from "throw the bum Deano out" to a positive one for Paul Brown, and then "throw the bum Deano out"
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9 Model80

Model80
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:21 AM

....I like Vic Derman and Frank Leonard in Saanich...

I certainly agree with you about Vic Derman. If there ever was an honest politician, he's the one. And he's extraordinarily hard working to boot.

However, I think Frank Leonard is just a "politician" in the purest sense. He says whatever needs to be said to be popular but, if he needs to take a position where one side or the other is not going to like him, he heads for the woods.

I'll have to take your word about Ms. Wade's peculiarities. However, I find it more than a bit worrisome when three existing politicians sign the nomination papers. That starts to smell like a slate.

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:08 AM

I happened to work with Nicola while serving on the Parent Advisory Council. I found her to be cheerful, helpful, and quite professional.

#11 BarbaraGW

BarbaraGW
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

Shameful really, that an otherwise worthwhile forum allows such juvenile slandering of an incredible public servant like Nicola. Surely the agreement to participate in this forum has been breached when petty smear campaigns by Bob Fugger and Model80 can be launched.

Nicola was awarded the YMCA Women of Distinction in the Public Service, has worked tirelessly for many organizations, charities and causes. If you want something done, she is the woman you go to. She listens, is articulate and understands what it means to be a public servant.

I have worked with Nicola, she is professional and treats her staff and colleagues with respect.

Long may you run, Nicola

#12 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

Just because you have had a different experience with the candidate does not automatically devalue my comments and make somehow make them untrue. I know exactly how she treats staff and what her agendas tend to look like.

What is shameful is you coming on here for the sole purpose of calling me a liar.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

^^ Welcome to Vibrant Victoria BarbaraGW

#14 Model80

Model80
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

Shameful really, that an otherwise worthwhile forum allows such juvenile slandering of an incredible public servant like Nicola. Surely the agreement to participate in this forum has been breached when petty smear campaigns by Bob Fugger and Model80 can be launched.

So, let me understand, the forum is only worthwhile if it conforms with your viewpoint....even though you choose to distort the facts.

I have not once said I agree or disagree with any suggestions that Ms. Wade may have personality or style shortcomings.

I have, however, been very clear about my concern when a candidate is endorsed by incumbent politicians. "I find it more than a bit worrisome when three existing politicians sign the nomination papers. That starts to smell like a slate."

I stand by that worry....particularly in a Frank Leonard council.

You have every right to keep your head in the sand and not worry about your Council being controlled by a small group.

#15 Jasmine

Jasmine
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

I normally don’t post on discussion forums such as this because there always seems to be someone who detracts from the general validity of the discussion by hurling around childish insults.

In this case I must speak out. I am speaking not as someone who knows someone who has worked for Nichola Wade but as someone who has worked for her, as someone speaking from ACTUAL knowledge and experience of her personal and management style.

Nichola Wade treats her staff and co-workers with care and respect. She genuinely cares for both the personal and professional lives of her staff in a way that I have not seen in either the public or private sector. As my knowledge Wade’s management style is based on personal experience not hearsay I can honestly say that None of the comments posted by Bob Fugger even remotely resemble how she operates. I would not only work for her again but would encourage others to do so as well.

Wade’s dedication to the public service and abillity to inspire those around her to work as hard as they can for the tax payer is exactly what Saanich needs.

It takes far more courage to build someone up than tear them down and I would like to applaud Sparky and Barbara for contributing something positive.

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Jasmine.

#17 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

Nichola Wade treats her staff and co-workers with care and respect. She genuinely cares for both the personal and professional lives of her staff in a way that I have not seen in either the public or private sector. As my knowledge Wade’s management style is based on personal experience not hearsay I can honestly say that None of the comments posted by Bob Fugger even remotely resemble how she operates. I would not only work for her again but would encourage others to do so as well.

I'm happy for you having not have to suffer her wrath. And although my information is secondhand, the source is no less reliable. This person and co-workers suffered through her reign of terror, which is not hyperbole: some described her management style as sociopathic.

When she left the Climate Action Secretariat, a lot of people were glad to see the back of her. And from what I understand, her departure was less than voluntary.

#18 Max13

Max13
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

I worked for and with Nichola Wade for 10 years during my tenure in government and I agree with Jasmine's assessment of Nichola.

The 'wrath' that Bob F refers to (secondhand) may stem from the fact that Nichola does not suffer fools nor those who coast in their 'secure' jobs in government. Too often I saw employees of the provincial government put in a full day of work reading internet jokes and planning their weekends versus doing what they were paid to do. I never tolerated it and neither did Nichola.

She is a genuine servant of the public and would be a welcome addition to Saanich Council.

#19 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:42 AM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Max13

#20 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

The 'wrath' that Bob F refers to (secondhand) may stem from the fact that Nichola does not suffer fools nor those who coast in their 'secure' jobs in government. Too often I saw employees of the provincial government put in a full day of work reading internet jokes and planning their weekends versus doing what they were paid to do. I never tolerated it and neither did Nichola.

Again, the fact that I am relaying the information secondhand makes it no less true. If I was making any of this up, I would just say that it happened to me. The folks in question would not make this stuff up, especially to me. To be honest, the fact that people just came out of the woodwork and are suggesting she is exactly the opposite type of person is a bit convenient.

In addition, they were not the charicature lazy civil servants that you described. These were people without tenure who were trying to get their careers off the ground. The fact that they were treated so horribly is why I would hate to see her elected.

One last thing - and I ask this as an honest question - does she even live in Saanich? Last I remember, she lived on an acreage in Central Saanich.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users