- - - - -

Save-On-Foods grocery stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#1 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Who thinks this is a good idea? Walmart's food section in Langford is CRAP. GC Superstore at Westshore has limited selection of grocery products and is messy most of the time.
Fairway closed it's Colwood location at Colwood Corners 3 years or more ago.
Thrifty's is way too pricey. Becel Margarine at Thriftys is $7.29. Same item at Superstore is $4.47. Similarily priced at Save on Foods.

Please answer yes or no and give a reason why. I am not affiliated with Save on Foods in any way. Just a fan and would like to see one out here.

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Sure, why not.

#3 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

I would rather have a 'Quality Foods' store with their deli restourant.

There are lots of these stores up Island but none down here.

#4 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

I had no idea Fairway left....More competition the better for consumers. I don't find the superstore messy but I really like the Gas bar that gets you Ten cents a liter towards your purchase in store. Also the very wide aisles.

Colwood/Langford is pretty covered for grocery stores it seems, but it is growing and is probably room for a country Grocer/Save on Foods

Real Canadian Superstore
Wal-Mart
Market on Millstream
Costco Wholesale
Western Foods
Thrifty Foods

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Red Barn Market is opening soon (if it hasn't already) at Veterans and Latoria. They're smaller than all of the major grocery chains in the CRD but their regularly priced items are often lower -- definitely lower than Save-Ons (I compare prices on a daily basis as I live near a Save-Ons and our office is near Red Barn).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

There is also a Fairway Market in the Westshore Mall.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

Also don't forget that the proposed anchor tenant of that empty lot for lease at Millstream and Treanor in Langford is supposed to be a 30,000 square foot grocery store, which I'd say could easily be a Safeway or Save-on-Foods, given they have no presence yet on the Westshore.

#8 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

^Where did that info come from, I hadn't heard anything about it being a grocery store?

If it is indeed true, my wish would be for a Safeway.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

..my wish would be for a Safeway.

Highly unlikely. With the exception of significant renovations to 3 of the 4 stores in the region, Safeway hasn't built a new store on this part of the Island in over 30 years (yes I know the Foul Bay store was rebuilt from the ground up 10 years or so ago, but it was an existing location.)

#10 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Who thinks this is a good idea? Walmart's food section in Langford is CRAP. GC Superstore at Westshore has limited selection of grocery products and is messy most of the time.
Fairway closed it's Colwood location at Colwood Corners 3 years or more ago.
Thrifty's is way too pricey. Becel Margarine at Thriftys is $7.29. Same item at Superstore is $4.47. Similarily priced at Save on Foods.

Please answer yes or no and give a reason why. I am not affiliated with Save on Foods in any way. Just a fan and would like to see one out here.

I would highly doubt it. Save on Foods in Duncan closed within 1 year of the Wal Mart Superstore opening up there and they indicated Wal Mart was the main reason for shutting the store.

#11 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:50 AM

Walmart's food section in Langford is CRAP...... ....

As much as I detest going to WalMart, I must confess to being pleasantly surprised at their grocery section. Produce quality and prices seem good, and prices on packaged goods seem pretty good. I haven't bought meat there, and probably won't because I want to be able to see the butcher area. I think Wal mart may get the attention of the bigger area grocers for some even better competition.

#12 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

As much as I detest going to WalMart, I must confess to being pleasantly surprised at their grocery section. Produce quality and prices seem good, and prices on packaged goods seem pretty good. I haven't bought meat there, and probably won't because I want to be able to see the butcher area. I think Wal mart may get the attention of the bigger area grocers for some even better competition.

Are you speaking of the new Walmart at Uptown or the one in Langford. Admittedly, the Uptown location is a true supercentre with an enormous food floor. My beef is with the one in Langford.

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

...Safeway hasn't built a new store on this part of the Island in over 30 years (yes I know the Foul Bay store was rebuilt from the ground up 10 years or so ago, but it was an existing location.)

I can't remember precisely when the reconstructed Fort and Foul Bay was built but the timeline in the Starbucks thread suggests it was 1995-96. I could have sworn it was at least a couple of years earlier than that. Memory...

Back in the day, Safeway had pretty much cornered the market re: large supermarkets in Victoria. The Thrifty's in James Bay was a Safeway, the Fairways in Quadra village (The Brick) was a Safeway, the Esquimalt Road supermarket was a Safeway... some others, too.

#14 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

Also don't forget that the proposed anchor tenant of that empty lot for lease at Millstream and Treanor in Langford is supposed to be a 30,000 square foot grocery store, which I'd say could easily be a Safeway or Save-on-Foods, given they have no presence yet on the Westshore.

This site call for a 30,000 sq ft anchor, not specifically a grocery store. Yet Thrifty's was originally supposed to be the Market on Millstream, but they pulled out because of construction delays. They may be interested in a location in Langford again.

But as I said its not specifically for a grocery store.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Save-On-Foods continues to increase prices at a faster rate than other grocery stores I shop at and this leads me to believe the chain is trying to win business from individuals who no longer feel Thrifty's is the same store it once was.

This morning I spied prices at Save-Ons and later at Red Barn. Not surprisingly all three items I had planned to purchase at Save-Ons were more expensive.

Eco-brand cereal
Save-Ons: $9.99 | Red Barn: $7.99 (20% less)

Bananas
Save-Ons: $0.78/lb | Red Barn: $0.59/lb (25% less)

Coconut Milk (for cooking, same brand)
Save-Ons: $3.79 | Red Barn: $2.69 (30% less)

Imagine what the grocery bill would be for 30 items if just three net you a savings of some $3.50.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

I generally shop Thrifty's or Fairways as both are closer to me than the Saanich Save-On.. had a gift card though so the wife and I thought we'd give em a try tonight..

I will never go near that store again.

7 on a Sunday night.. not particularly late or anything.. in that entire large store I saw 4? staff .. 1 deli, 1 bakery, 1 cashier and 1 manager standing around the forest of Self Checkout's..

The fruit and veg were awful.. including a swarm of fruit flies over the pile of oranges with this large, mold covered rotting orange on top of the pile.. prices were way over what Im used to paying at Thriftys.. and their push to go Self Checkout is just dumb... mind you my biggest beef with the whole visit was the Cashier.. rude, hucking my fruit into the bag.. complete lack of any customer service skills..

raaaant rant rant rant..

back to Thriftys I go.

cakes..

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

The Vic West store also emphasizes the self-serve checkouts. During "rush hour" there are usually three or four cashiers while two or three other checkout isles remain closed.

Granted the staff at the Vic West store is a cut above the staff in Saanich. Just my opinion, of course.

Know it all.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

There's a rumour circulating that American grocery chain Whole Foods will replace the Safeway at Foul Bay and Fort.

With Safeway's Canadian stores being sold to Sobeys (with two Sobeys-owned Thrifty's relatively near Safeway) and Whole Food's foray into the Canadian market perhaps there's some validity to this.

Know it all.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

Whole Foods rumours have circulated since the Hudson was conceived. But this is believable. There's a lot of upper/middle class residents in the Broadmead/Gordon Head region who are weary of Thrifty's near-monopoly and would welcome a fresh face.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#20 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

That would be wonderful! I have always said I wouldn't cook very often if I had a Whole Foods around - just feed myself off their food bars. When I stay in the US, the 2nd question after is how close is a good coffee place, is there a Whole Foods near by?

I had always assumed if Whole Foods moved into town, it would be at Uptown. But Fort/Foul Bay does make more sense due to the demographics of the neighbourhood.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users