[Marine] Point Hope Shipyard

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

Vic West's Point Hope Shipyard will be expanding with a 170-meter long, $60-million graving dock large enough to handle all but the largest BC Ferries vessels.

It's incredible to see this place turn around after nearly falling into bankruptcy nearly ten years ago.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

I wonder where it will go - http://www.bing.com/... BC&form=LMLTCC

#3 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

Mike, I heard that the news stories are wrong and that it will be able to handle all BC Ferries' vessels. All of BCFerries' vessels will be able to fit under the new, wider bridge, which surprised me.

Either way, this is very good news for the region. Point Hope has an aggressive growth strategy which will hopefully create high paying jobs.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

Mike, I heard that the news stories are wrong and that it will be able to handle all BC Ferries' vessels.

A rep from the shipyard stated at an even last night that it would fit "all but the largest" BC Ferries vessels, whatever that might mean. Perhaps the Spirit Class won't fit but the Coastal class will?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

Mike, I heard that the news stories are wrong and that it will be able to handle all BC Ferries' vessels. All of BCFerries' vessels will be able to fit under the new, wider bridge, which surprised me.

Either way, this is very good news for the region. Point Hope has an aggressive growth strategy which will hopefully create high paying jobs.

I hope they do fit under the bridge, but I would think the bridge would need to raise to a more vertical position to clear the upper decks on the large vessels. As the ferries would not be proceeding under their own power (heaven forbid) there would need to be room for tugboats to nudge them through. Also there would need to be those large rubber bumpers on each side of the bridge channel to prevent them from hitting the bridge.

Oh wait a minute didn't they just decrease the width of the opening?

#6 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

The shipyard has been quite busy lately. Three ships, including a small BC Ferries ship, are being sand blasted and re-painted.

I caught these shots of this Canadian Navy ship with part of its tent ripped apart by the high winds of early April.

The tent was removed this weekend to reveal its newly painted exterior.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

^ Nice camera work Gary. Thank you for that.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

^I drove by there today and that boat is mostly shrink-wrapped.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

^I drove by there today and that boat is mostly shrink-wrapped.

I snapped the photo yesterday morning from the other side of the harbour.

#11 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

A couple of new ships in for haul work. Both are from Marine Harvest, a company that claims to produce 1/5 of the world's farm raised salmon. http://www.marineharvestcanada.com/

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Awesome photo, Bingo!

Know it all.

#14 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Lot's of work at the shipyard this winter.

IMG_4577c.JPG

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

Pacific Grace

IMG_9938.jpg

IMG_9947.jpg

• D.L. likes this

#16 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

While I fully support a working harbour and local industry I just can't see anyone wanting to buy a condo at Dockside Green, etc to wake up to crashing, banging, grinders, and perhaps some yelling and swearing from shipyard workers

#17 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

^^ There a particular reason for the red hull? I know you can't see the colour in the water around here. Some kind of special paint that detracts barnacles or ?

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

^^ There a particular reason for the red hull? I know you can't see the colour in the water around here. Some kind of special paint that detracts barnacles or ?

Anti-fouling paint comes in different colours, and sometimes the choice is one of aesthetics, especially for sailing vessels when healed.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

While I fully support a working harbour and local industry I just can't see anyone wanting to buy a condo at Dockside Green, etc to wake up to crashing, banging, grinders, and perhaps some yelling and swearing from shipyard workers

It can get quite loud around there, that's for sure.

Know it all.

#20 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

The noise and activity would surely be seen as a positive by some.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users