Photo

[Jubilee] Village Walk | Mixed-use condo and residential | 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

Edit by Moderator: some posts in this thread have been moved to this thread from the "thread for projects with no threads."
- - -

I didn't realize that Abstract Developments was proposing a 4-storey condo/retail building at the corner of Amphion/Oak Bay, in the Oak Bay Village just inside the Victoria city limit. Planning staff are recommending that this be rejected due to height and other issues (it's on the agenda of this week's Planning and Land Use Committee meeting).

The Planning Department report is available at https://victoria.civ...Oak Bay and.pdf

#2 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

I didn't realize that Abstract Developments was proposing a 4-storey condo/retail building at the corner of Amphion/Oak Bay, in the Oak Bay Village just inside the Victoria city limit. Planning staff are recommending that this be rejected due to height and other issues (it's on the agenda of this week's Planning and Land Use Committee meeting).

The Planning Department report is available at https://victoria.civ...Oak Bay and.pdf

:confused:

#3 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

The location of the project could perhaps be more appropriately described as Oak Bay Ave. and Foul Bay Rd. since the project will span the entire block of Oak Bay Ave. from Amphion St. to Foul Bay Rd.

Three buildings are currently on the site - http://www.bing.com/... BC&form=LMLTCC

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

I didn't realize that Abstract Developments was proposing a 4-storey condo/retail building at the corner of Amphion/Oak Bay, in the Oak Bay Village just inside the Victoria city limit. Planning staff are recommending that this be rejected due to height and other issues...

Hey, you wouldn't want to set a precedent. Are there any other 4-story buildings around there?

Okay, there are ten 4-story buildings within a few blocks. But adding an 11th building would surely ruin the atmosphere.

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

Victoria's madness, brilliantly encapsulated in a few paragraphs:

The proposal would introduce a new mixed-use development along Oak Bay Avenue, which has occurred infrequently since that vision was first established in the Oak Bay Avenue Land Use and Design Guidelines in 1981...

Given the lack of this form of redevelopment, these Plans have recommended increases in density, further study of the issue and the need to update the design guidelines. However, the proposal remains inconsistent with the densities recommended and the issue of mixed-use redevelopment along the Oak Bay Avenue Village corridor has not been studied further.

The proposed four-storey plus mezzanine building has some consistency with its immediate context which includes four-storey buildings, zoning that permits three-storey mixed use development, a location on a busy intersection, a site that frames one of the eastern gateways to the city and a location north of a single-family neighbourhood.

The applicant also suggests that this section of Oak Bay Avenue, with a number of contiguous blocks of commercial development and its location in close proximity to Oak Bay Village, should be designated Large Urban Village instead of Small Urban Village in the new OCP. Oak Bay Avenue Village is the largest of the Small Urban Villages and is the only Secondary Centre from the existing OCP not designated a Large Urban Village in the DRAFT OCP. If Oak Bay Avenue village were to be designated a Large Urban Village, the proposal would be consistent with the draft policy in that a Large Urban Village may have building heights from four to six storeys, FSRs of 1.5:1 to 2.5:1 and one-storey to three-storey building facades defining the street wall.

Folks, it's a neighbourhood commercial street. Small mixed-use buildings are what it's always been about and what it always should be about.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Wouldn't want to upstage this gem

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

The goal should be to eliminate the strip-mall stuff and emphasize the urban village format.

#8 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

* Edit by Moderator: this post was originally made as a new thread, which was then merged with posts about the project in another thread.
- - -

Abstract Development has a permit up at the corner of Foul Bay and Oak Bay Ave.
Plans to demolish the entire block including house on the corner (Abstract's offices are in there) and the 50's apartment building at the corner of Amphion Road to build a 4-story building..

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

Would be nice to see. Only to ruffle a few feathers in Oak Bay.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

Mind you, this isn't technically Oak Bay.

#11 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

And indeed. This is City of Victoria. Still, 4 story buildings are not too tall for this area. My only major issue is the loss of rental stock, which Abstract are doing nothing for. They will offer residents of these buildings first crack at another building, but it is unclear if it is at the same price or not.

Full disclosure: One of my good friends lives in one of the buildings here.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

This one has already been mentioned in another thread. Not sure which thread.

Anyway, it sounds like Oak Bay Avenue is destined to become the future Oak Bay Avenue. There are several small mixed-use buildings both in Victoria and in Oak Bay, built over the last ~100 years. I'm not understanding why putting another one at this location should be an issue, but apparently it is.

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:13 AM

Anyway, it sounds like Oak Bay Avenue is destined to become the future Oak Bay Avenue. There are several small mixed-use buildings both in Victoria and in Oak Bay, built over the last ~100 years. I'm not understanding why putting another one at this location should be an issue, but apparently it is.

Those buildings are old but of no heritage value and will not be a loss to the area. My favourite coffee shop is across the street.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

I seem to recall that this proposal has been slashed down to three storeys, no?

My only major issue is the loss of rental stock, which Abstract are doing nothing for. They will offer residents of these buildings first crack at another building, but it is unclear if it is at the same price or not.

Abstract is not in the business of building subsidized housing. It would be nice to live in a brand new, nicely designed and chic residence for the same price as an apartment in an aging building built decades ago, but that's just never going to happen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

If they can do a decent job at three stories and if three is somehow a magic number that doesn't scare the hell out of everyone the way four does, then I'd be happy to see three stories there.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

Kapten Kapsell first mentioned it here, I think:
http://vibrantvictor...ad.php?p=164515

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:40 AM

I'm pretty certain it's still four stories.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

In that link aastra posted planning staff recommend the project be rejected due to height.

Why? Who knows.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

I think because while there are many four story buildings in the area around this project, the zoning guidelines for buildings right on Oak Bay Ave. is for a lower height. Or perhaps also that this project has a higher than usual first floor ceiling.

#20 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

Abstract is not in the business of building subsidized housing. It would be nice to live in a brand new, nicely designed and chic residence for the same price as an apartment in an aging building built decades ago, but that's just never going to happen.

Nope, but Council is the guardian of our community, and if the candidates/councillors are serious about keeping housing affordable, they had better start dealing with the issue of loss of rental stock.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users