Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 710 Queens | Renovations

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 RobinKimpton

RobinKimpton
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

Its been an election issue but it will not end there.

710 Queens one of the two Travellers properties purchased by the City ($5.6 million) for it and the Gorge Property was an election issue but discussion will continue.

The City is currently planning (may be imminent) to renovate the property into 35ish small apartments.

There has been much controversy since the purchase. The hard to house from Pandora have been relocated to 710. The neighbourhood businesses have complained to the Mayor objecting to further social agencies in the area. The Mayor has put in place a couple of garbage cans and done some cleaning up.

The City will not say if plans are available to view.

I have proposed a comprehensive development of the adjacent properties based on a Woodward concept of a mixture of social and market housing as well as retail and commercial. This would assimilate the social housing into the neighbourhood and pull the rest of the neighbourhood up. The City wants no part of it.

Lets hear from you.

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

First, are there any outstanding legal or bylaw issues that are preventing you from working with the City? Are you in violation of the City's "Clean Hands" policy?

#3 RobinKimpton

RobinKimpton
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

1. No

and

2. I do not see how any issues which may or may not exist on Yates or Cook could translate into an assembly on Queens.

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

You need to get a lot of ducks in line to bring a project like that to life. The City would play a role as facilitator and minor funder but they won't drive the bus.

#5 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

You need to get a lot of ducks in line to bring a project like that to life. The City would play a role as facilitator and minor funder but they won't drive the bus.

A lot of ducks for sure. Lets start the planning now before the city throws away more money after bad.

#6 Scotfree

Scotfree
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

Mr Kimpton -- do you live in Vancouver?

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

Media reports refer to him as a Vancouver resident but he has listed his address with elections BC as a room in his hotel at 760 Queens.

#8 Jon Baker

Jon Baker

Banned

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

Ya> It would make sense.....

#9 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

Media reports refer to him as a Vancouver resident but he has listed his address with elections BC as a room in his hotel at 760 Queens.

Robin Kimpton resides at 760 Queens in Victoria.
His previous residence was 1349 Grant in Victoria.
Relocating to Hotel 760 just made sense.
Mr. Kimpton does own properties in the Lower Mainland.
P.S. what media report are you refering to?

#10 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for your question. Robin resides at 760 Queens in Victoria. The election aside-please come on down to Hotel 760 at any time in the future and meet Robin Kimpton and his staff.

#11 RobinKimpton

RobinKimpton
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

Mr. Randall

Could you assist. It would be appreciated.

Robin

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

Robin Kimpton resides at 760 Queens in Victoria.
His previous residence was 1349 Grant in Victoria.
Relocating to Hotel 760 just made sense.
Mr. Kimpton does own properties in the Lower Mainland.
P.S. what media report are you refering to?

"Vancouver based resident Robin Kimpton"

http://homelessnation.org/node/14809

#13 Scotfree

Scotfree
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

But that's silly surely -- Robin Kimpton's real and permanent address, and his primary residence, is Vancouver. (My old and rather luxe neighborhood in fact.)
Just don't get Van City staff, or the unfortunate neighbours of his slummy Van properties started on the character and actions of the man.
Living at 1349 Grant previously?
Don't get the Grant Street neighbours or the Fernwood Community Association talking about the complaints and disorder that has plagued Grant Street for years because of this property.
Talking about Fernwood -- what has that poor neighborhood ever done to deserve a Slum Landlord Extrordinare like Robin K? The beautiful old character building on Yates boarded up, Cook St building trashed.
If this Vancouver lawyer and Victoria property owner would like to be of assistance to Victoria he could file a Notice of Discontinuence on his lawsuits and get to work on repairing and maintaining low income rental housing on Yates and on Cook St.

#14 Jon Baker

Jon Baker

Banned

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

Edited

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

I will close this thread if it does not get on some sort of discussion of the project as that is what this section of the forum is for.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#16 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

In their wisdom the city has decided ( or so they claim ) to remove some of the people from 710 Queens in order to prepare for renovations. They have done so right when the very cold weather is due and they have not to my knowledge been doing any renos yet. Could it be that they put people out early in order to quiet the block for the election? If so this would be so very cruel. It can not be a coincident that the persons they chose to put out were the most problematic for the block. The fact that this happened at the same time as the pathetic face lift that they did ( a few garbage cans and removal of some bushes ) is to me obvious. It must also be noted that this all happened at the same time as the mayors pre-election sound bite that he did in front of 710. Every drug dealer on that corner mysteriously dissapeared that day and I fear that after the election is over it will go back to more of the same. One thing is for sure that the pressure we have put on the mayors pet project has to some degree shifted the focus of this election. Weather Robin Kimpton gets a seat on council or not it is also clear that the many people that have voiced their support for Mr. Kimpton have not wasted their time and we will continue to question the wisdom of this poorly used space.

#17 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

In their wisdom the city has decided ( or so they claim ) to remove some of the people from 710 Queens in order to prepare for renovations.

His Majesty Fortin the Fatuous was on CBC Radio this morning making a huge deal about how they're not in the renoviction business - heavens, they are the City and the Province, after all!

So, just so I'm good on the math, $5.6M for two buildings - so for argument's sake let's say half that for Queen's Manor plus $1.5M for renovations for 36 units. That's $120k per unit - for a renovated 1970s building. Plus $.5M in operating costs per annum (from BC Housing - you know, which means it doesn't count, not like it's our money or anything).

I'm no developer, but I've said it before and I said it again: the City could have taken over a stalled condo project, built it and still come in around that number. In Langford.

#18 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

There's a touching, touching feel-good story in the TC today, about how the City has saved a lost soul by redirecting property taxes from the rich to provide housing to the poor.

Poor Nazis. Harsh words? Click the link to the TC story and look at the lampshade in the photo. Disgusting.

http://www.timescolo...9410/story.html

#19 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

And now the Times Colonist has quiety changed which default picture shows up. But if you click on photos, this is the third photo. Disgusting.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

A red Swastika, hey?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users