Garden Suites in The City of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

Today I attended a presentation put on by the City of Victoria at the Victoria Real Estate Board. Basically what I took away from it.....

- Rezoning is required and the fees are approximately $3,000 for this purpose alone. (Not refundable if the application fails is my understanding).

- The process can take over 6 months, there has to be a public meeting and an in-depth consultation with neighbors.

- Garden suites above garages not allowed.

- Corner lots or lots with lanes work well.

- No parking for the garden suite required.

- You cannot apply for a garden suite if you already have a suite.

- Cannot exceed 25% of back yard.

As I collect more information I will post it in this thread. You can find the official policy here -> http://victoriagarde...guidelines2.pdf

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the update, Marko.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

Once again a great and progressive sounding idea mired in red tape and fees.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Once again a great and progressive sounding idea mired in red tape and fees.

^ Funny you say that, my understanding from the session I attended is not one Garden Suite has yet to be approved/completed.

#5 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Is a garden suite a basement suite? Or is it a suite that is detached from the main house?

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

I understand it to be detached.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

I thought garden suites were "temporary structures" intended to house a specific person and had to be removed from the property when that person (an aged or physically-challenged relative) was no longer around. I don't see that mentioned anywhere in the link. Am I thinking of some other type of suite?

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

Nope. They are permanent.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

There are a few houses in my area that have them. Generally converted free-standing garages, specially ones that back onto little lanes. Some seem to be rented like any other apartment, others are used only as guest-suites for friends and family.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

There are a few houses in my area that have them. Generally converted free-standing garages, specially ones that back onto little lanes. Some seem to be rented like any other apartment, others are used only as guest-suites for friends and family.

There are plenty of older garden suites which are typically non-conforming unless they have some kind of variance; however, there are no examples of new garden suites passed under the new city policy.

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Is a garden suite a basement suite? Or is it a suite that is detached from the main house?

Do you mean "the dog house"?;)

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Here is something you don't see every day. This is a prefab garden suite being lowered by a crane onto a foundation on Tolmie Avenue.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

I have been watching that spot as it is close to my house and wondered if they were going to do that. I wonder what the total cost is for them on this. I am interested.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

I have been watching that spot as it is close to my house and wondered if they were going to do that. I wonder what the total cost is for them on this. I am interested.

$100k all in for this one:

http://www.timescolo...8608/story.html

There is a Chemainus pre-fab place that can build you a 400sqfter for $50k, plus extras, plus foundation/services.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

^what's the company called?

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

^what's the company called?

http://www.vimodularhomes.com/
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

^thanks. They're not as cool looking, but what a price difference!

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

^thanks. They're not as cool looking, but what a price difference!

By the time you add appliances etc. I think they are within $10-15k.

#19 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Why aren't people just framing them on-site? My numbers show these as being cheaper to build on site then to buy pre-fab....

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Why aren't people just framing them on-site? My numbers show these as being cheaper to build on site then to buy pre-fab....

Maybe one thing is you already have a set of plans/renderings to go to rezoning with. Cheaper, especially if it gets rejected.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users