Potential Shelbourne development

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Marko, I've noticed three houses on Shelbourne between Bay and Haultain recently sold with your name on the signs. One house in particular is a crumbling wreck, despite the owner's lame attempts to renovate it (seen in the StreetView capture). It looks like a package deal. Can we look forward to a multi-unit development here?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

Marko, I've noticed three houses on Shelbourne between Bay and Haultain recently sold with your name on the signs. One house in particular is a crumbling wreck, despite the owner's lame attempts to renovate it (seen in the StreetView capture). It looks like a package deal. Can we look forward to a multi-unit development here?

Still not sold. First offer collapsed and we are now working on new offers. There is development potential for about 8 townhomes (rezoning required); however, most developers would probably prefer a bit more density.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

What about appeasing the Gods of Height by spreading the density over four lots?

I know parking is a bit of an issue on that street.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

What was that new townhouse development just up the road? Lansdowne Walk? How many lots did that take up?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

I know Saanich is doing a Shelbourne study for future development but I don't know if Victoria has done one for its portion.

For instance, should we allow townhouse development to creep the length of Shelbourne or should we allow high density clusters separated by SFD stretches? This question will inform whether this site will get the rezoning it needs although there are only a handful of houses left on the block.

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

I know Saanich is doing a Shelbourne study for future development but I don't know if Victoria has done one for its portion...

One more reason why we need amalgamation.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

IMO there really should be no SFD's on Shellbourne till you get close to Mt. Doug.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

IMO there really should be no SFD's on Shellbourne till you get close to Mt. Doug.

You are right, it certainly makes little sense to build any south of McKenzie at this point in time.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#9 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

My take on it is do we want to see run down unkept homes or nice little developments like Landsowne Walk? Developments also reduce the amount of driveways accessing Shelbourne.

The reality is no one is going to buy a SFH home on Shelbourne to replace it with a nice new SFH home and developers aren't going to develop unless they can make a bit of money which requires favorable density.

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

I know that many of the run down houses on Shelbourne between Hillside and Cedar Hill X road are already owned by some property management companies that are interested in redeveloping the land

#11 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Over the next 25 years, you will probably see high density being concentrated along Shelbourne between McKenzie and Hillside. This could eventually lead to potential rapid transit (either rail or bus).

I will also say that the four lanes between McKenzie and Hillside will be reduced to two lanes and bike lanes will be put in. Shelbourne is so dangerous for cyclists.

#12 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

This development site has been sold to a reputable developer. I look forward to this project.

#13 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

This development site has been sold to a reputable developer. I look forward to this project.

Did anything ever happen to this MarkoJ?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#14 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

Re-zoning application in right now...

#15 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

Any idea what kind of density they are looking for?

#16 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

Any idea what kind of density they are looking for?

I think 8 townhomes was going to be a fairly safe bet, but more than 8 a bit of a stretch, but I am unsure of exactly home many they are proposing with the application.

#17 curlyfry

curlyfry
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the update on this development Marko!    I'm a current renter in the area -like seeing what is coming up.  

Hoping they make them similar to Lansdowne Walk  (& not the over-done Greystoke Seven)

#18 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the update on this development Marko!    I'm a current renter in the area -like seeing what is coming up.  

Hoping they make them similar to Lansdowne Walk  (& not the over-done Greystoke Seven)

This site has more frontage than Greystoke Seven a quite a bit more than Lansdowne Walk; therefore, my guess is it will look closer to Greystoke Seven with town homes across the front of the property.  In terms of finishing really difficult to say, Abstract is known for high-end developments but they did a more budget conscious town home development recently near Uptown.

• curlyfry likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users