Photo

Just got my hydro bill $983

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#1 selector

selector
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

For 2 months...they told me I had better hire an electrician?
This has more than doubled.
You guys got your bills yet?
:mad:

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Is anybody actually comparing their usage against their old bills, to see what the charges are? Or just arbitrarily deciding the bill is too high?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 selector

selector
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

We have never had a bill this high. We heat with wood.

#4 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

We got ours yesterday, on track with last years.

#5 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,231 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Whoa, Maybe they installed the evil meter instead of the smart one? Is someone stealing your power next door? That is a crazy bill!!!

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

We have never had a bill this high. We heat with wood.

What is your USAGE (kWhs) compared to your previous bills?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 selector

selector
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

kw have doubled. there is something wrong.

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

hence them telling you to hire an electrician, something is going wrong in your house. Sadly it's your problem to pay for it...
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

What about all the other people who have said their power usage has doubled since their smart meters were installed? (it's been in the news)

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

What about all the other people who have said their power usage has doubled since their smart meters were installed? (it's been in the news)

There are probably over 1.5M BCH accounts, no doubt thousands have doubled since the smart-meters. And here's a news flash, thousands have halved. Same would have happened with or without smart-meters. Some people use more electricity sometimes, some people use less some times. Using smart-meters as an excuse for ineptitude is freaking lame.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

My metered usage from when the smart meter was installed are higher than the same months of the previous year, but I'd say around 10-15% higher, not double.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

For 2 months...they told me I had better hire an electrician?
This has more than doubled.
You guys got your bills yet?
:mad:

On the left side of the bill it shows you how much you used this month compared to the sae month last year. What are the kWh numbers? Are you on some sort of averaging plan?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

There are probably over 1.5M BCH accounts, no doubt thousands have doubled since the smart-meters.

The people who were in the news saying their usage had doubled all lived on the same block (not sure but it may have been every house on the block).

#14 Islander888

Islander888
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

So you are saying your daily KHW usage had doubled comapred to exactly the same period last year? What i have noticed is that when they pull your old meter there are extra days between last years and the latest bill resulting in a higher dollar amount and usage amount, but the best comparison is to divide the KWH by the number of days the bill is using, then do the same with last years (its on the left as mentioned) if its doubled then something is very wrong, BUT, and here is the kicker, if your old meter was missread when it was removed (and you will never know as its long gone) then they can ding you for the extra consumption and there's nothing you can do about it. The more cynical might think this is a one time cash grab ! If yours has not yet been removed read it at the same time each day It's easy enough, start at the right dial and work left, if its past a whole number then use it, if it looks too close to call look at the small dail at the top without numbers, if its past the 12 position then its over the number, if its not then its under. Record your 24 hour consumption for a few days, then once they have swapped your meter out do the same with the new 'not so smart' meter (even easier as its digital) they should be very close, if not then the conspiracy theorists might wonder if the new meters read higher deliberately :0

#15 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Where do you think they are getting their money to pay Cisco for setting up the largest network in western Canada? They turn all my appliances on when I leave the house!

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria selector. I wish it was under better circumstances.

Everyone will be racing home from work today to examine their last hydro bill.

#17 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

My father just recieved his hydro bill for his EMPTY, UN-OCCUPIED Shoal Point condo. $110. After a phone call to BC hydro (and explaning that no one was living there and no one has been for over a year) their response was "its been an extra cold winter" and that amount is correct.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

My father just recieved his hydro bill for his EMPTY, UN-OCCUPIED Shoal Point condo. $110. After a phone call to BC hydro (and explaning that no one was living there and no one has been for over a year) their response was "its been an extra cold winter" and that amount is correct.

That's just a luxury tax on the rich.

It's in the fine print of your BCH contract: If you can afford to own an empty condo at Shoal Point, we need money more than you do.

#19 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

hence them telling you to hire an electrician, something is going wrong in your house. Sadly it's your problem to pay for it...

Can someone (Sparky?) explain to me what good an electrician would do in determining where the problem is? My understanding that the electrical system in our house is a closed system. The only thing that would cause excess consumption...is excess consumption. If you've not doubled your consumption, then is an electrician going to discover a "leak" somewhere? Electricity does not work that way, iirc.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Can someone (Sparky?) explain to me what good an electrician would do in determining where the problem is? My understanding that the electrical system in our house is a closed system. The only thing that would cause excess consumption...is excess consumption. If you've not doubled your consumption, then is an electrician going to discover a "leak" somewhere? Electricity does not work that way, iirc.

An electrician could determine which circuit is taking all the power, I guess. Do these new meters have the equivalent of the spinning steel wheel, so you can see what's sucking, as you turn on/off one breaker at a time?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users